ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: M 32c question  (Read 3562 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: M 32c question
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2024, 06:30:14 AM »

I know this is not network related but what you guys use to power the M32C, I heard is very prone to crash under saggy power, do you use a battery backup or just a power conditioner?

How you guys rack it and do you use a patch pannel so in case the xlrs wear out from the daily plug in and out you just replace the patch pannel connector instead of opening that actual Midas or behringer box that house the preamps.

Asking cause maybe a get a second hand one at a very keen price ;)

M32C doesn't have any local I/O.  I keep a DL32 in the rack.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2024, 08:11:44 AM »

I know this is not network related but what you guys use to power the M32C, I heard is very prone to crash under saggy power, do you use a battery backup or just a power conditioner?

How you guys rack it and do you use a patch pannel so in case the xlrs wear out from the daily plug in and out you just replace the patch pannel connector instead of opening that actual Midas or behringer box that house the preamps.

Saggy power is not good for digital consoles, and the X/M series in particular.

You will want to use some kind of Uninterruptable Power Supply. I have found that the cheapest ones, around $50 in the US (I use CyberPower, but others should work fine, too) is sufficient with no functional result differences from the $1000 pure sine wave ones, other than weight. YMMV.

The cheap ones are a PITA to put in a rack, although it can be done. The ones with rack ears are easier, but more money and heavier.

Regarding connector wear: eh, everything is going to wear out eventually. The Behringer brand ones have held up just fine for me, but I'm not using every console every day, so YMMV on that, too.

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2024, 10:24:52 AM »

The only I/O on the M32C is talkback and monitor on 1/4" TRS so you need a stage box. I carry 2 DL16s.
I don't know why there is a perception that the M32C doesn't like "saggy" power. I run everything on Furman Power conditioners with no UPS and have never had a single issue in over 2 years. I even ran my whole rig outdoors, rock band on a single 15amp circuit off of a sketchy little jobsite genny once with no problems at all. It was kinda scary but it worked fine.
Jeff

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2024, 11:28:52 AM »

The only I/O on the M32C is talkback and monitor on 1/4" TRS so you need a stage box. I carry 2 DL16s.
I don't know why there is a perception that the M32C doesn't like "saggy" power. I run everything on Furman Power conditioners with no UPS and have never had a single issue in over 2 years. I even ran my whole rig outdoors, rock band on a single 15amp circuit off of a sketchy little jobsite genny once with no problems at all. It was kinda scary but it worked fine.
Hey Jeff,
why you carry 2 sixteen channel if you can get a 32 channel, is it for convenience of putting the boxes at different places on stage ?
also, i just learned that the 32 series maximum channel count is 48,
so you can get a 32 and a 16... correct?

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2024, 03:09:53 PM »

why you carry 2 sixteen channel if you can get a 32 channel, is it for convenience of putting the boxes at different places on stage ?
Any number of reasons why people might have 2 x 16 channel stagebox, rather than 1 x 32:
- Feed two separate points on stage could be much more efficient than one, typically upstage and downstage.
- Already had a 16 channel stagebox, then wanted more channels, cheaper to buy one more 16 channel.
- A bargain buy at the time.
- Can connect two Behringer/Midas 16 channel boxes back to back to provide analog connectivity over AES50

Not quite.
The 48 channel limit is with the AES50 protocol.  So, yes, you can use a 32 and a 16 on a single AES port, but you can do the same again on the second AES port, if you really want to.  Obviously, you'll still have the X32 limit on DSP channel count, i.e., 32 full DSP channels, plus auxes.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2024, 10:36:53 PM »

The reason for that perception is that fairly early on in the life of the full size X32, which was the first one introduced, Behringer admitted under pressure (or else in the spirit of full disclosure) that the console would reboot if the AC line voltage dropped below something like 85 volts for more than 1/4 of the AC waveform.

That is probably not an issue if the line voltage is over 200, as is the case in a lot of the world, but in the US where 110 used to be common (not sure how true that is any more), there's much less of a percentage difference between 110 and 85 than there is between 220 (or whatever) and 85.

Again, that was for the early full size consoles, and I believe we, and certainly me, have extrapolated what applied to the early consoles to all versions of the later consoles and always recommended UPS's for insurance against that problem.

This thread has made me realize that the assumption may not be true anymore. Or it still could be.

In those days, we were regularly getting updates from Behringer digital console insiders and senior engineers, if not from Uli himself.

Those days are gone, and it's easier for me to use a UPS all the time and feel fine than to get out a variac and see how low the supply can be before each variety of the console reboots. I don't know how to measure the effect and magnitude of a momentary brown-out duration before the reboot. Certainly someone does, but they haven't done it AFAIK.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2024, 11:15:02 PM »

The reason for that perception is that fairly early on in the life of the full size X32, which was the first one introduced, Behringer admitted under pressure (or else in the spirit of full disclosure) that the console would reboot if the AC line voltage dropped below something like 85 volts for more than 1/4 of the AC waveform.

That is probably not an issue if the line voltage is over 200, as is the case in a lot of the world, but in the US where 110 used to be common (not sure how true that is any more), there's much less of a percentage difference between 110 and 85 than there is between 220 (or whatever) and 85.

Again, that was for the early full size consoles, and I believe we, and certainly me, have extrapolated what applied to the early consoles to all versions of the later consoles and always recommended UPS's for insurance against that problem.

This thread has made me realize that the assumption may not be true anymore. Or it still could be.

In those days, we were regularly getting updates from Behringer digital console insiders and senior engineers, if not from Uli himself.

Those days are gone, and it's easier for me to use a UPS all the time and feel fine than to get out a variac and see how low the supply can be before each variety of the console reboots. I don't know how to measure the effect and magnitude of a momentary brown-out duration before the reboot. Certainly someone does, but they haven't done it AFAIK.

I have a variac on the bench.  I can test next week

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2024, 12:02:39 AM »

…I run everything on Furman Power conditioners with no UPS and have never had a single issue in over 2 years...

As an aside, what a Furman does - or doesn’t do - depends heavily on the model.  The majority of cheap Furmans out there aren’t much more than a simple power strip.  UPSs also come in different flavors.  I use a true online double-conversion UPS in my FOH rack which essentially generates its own clean power out to my equipment.  Most here will say that’s overkill, but to me it’s good peace of mind knowing that my critical gear has clean reliable power.

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2024, 07:00:58 AM »

As an aside, what a Furman does - or doesn’t do - depends heavily on the model.  The majority of cheap Furmans out there aren’t much more than a simple power strip.  UPSs also come in different flavors.  I use a true online double-conversion UPS in my FOH rack which essentially generates its own clean power out to my equipment.  Most here will say that’s overkill, but to me it’s good peace of mind knowing that my critical gear has clean reliable power.
What model you use, is it heavy?

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2024, 11:07:14 AM »

Hey Jeff,

Yes. I have 1 DL16 in the rack with the M32C, an IEM transmitter for my headphones, a wireless mic for talkback, a Bluetooth receiver for break music and a WiFi access point. That rack usually sits downstage and I use it for mains and downstage monitor outs and downstage ins. The other DL16 is in a separate rack by itself and usually sits upstage next to the drum kit and I use it for any backline monitors and all backline ins.

AES-wise I think you can have 64 inputs and outputs so you can run a DL32 and a DL16 or 2 DL32s or 4 DL16s or throw in a DL8, etc but you cant assign more than 38 ins - 32 regular channels, 6 aux channels (that can be assigned to a stagebox) and there are 2 aux channels that are always the USB. And you can assign 16 outs of 25 mix busses - up to 16 regular busses, 6 matrices and Mono + L/R.
Jeff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2024, 11:07:14 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.