ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: M 32c question  (Read 3511 times)

charles strickland

M 32c question
« on: March 20, 2024, 03:17:13 PM »

If I loose connectivity with my Ipad will the 32c keep passing audio or does the show crash? If it keeps running can I plug a cat 5 from the Ipad to the 32c to recover operation without rebooting the 32c or the Ipad.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: M 32c question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 03:49:05 PM »

If you lose connectivity with the iPad (think of it as a remote control) nothing changes, whatever was happening before will still be happening. If you make a wired connection, you won’t have to reboot.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 03:56:30 PM »

If I loose connectivity with my Ipad will the 32c keep passing audio or does the show crash? If it keeps running can I plug a cat 5 from the Ipad to the 32c to recover operation without rebooting the 32c or the Ipad.
Those are just control signals no loss of audio.  I almost never loose connectivity over WiFi.  I use a Ubiquity Access Point which I strongly recommend over a router.  You don’t need a router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

charles strickland

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 04:07:20 PM »

Thanks for the info Robert good to know and yes Scott i will be using an AP. Did a walk up this weekend all was great until 200 people showed up and no more wifi thank goodness there was a desk at side stage.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 07:12:43 PM »

WiFi is a fun mess in a live environment.  Yeah, people with WIFI devices in their pockets can certainly bring some systems to their knees.  Newer access points can better handle the onslaught of hundreds of devices in range. Older stuff just couldn't.

Wired is clearly preferred if possible.

The cool thing though about the X/M32 platform is all of the audio stays inside the console.  Loss of network control just means loss of the ability to change settings.  Be aware though that spotty WIFI can mean spotty changes of network settings which can get pretty messy.

Using the native app, if connections are poor, changes won't reflect on screen until the console responds back and says it made a change.  Using Mixing station, changes you sent will show as changed before they are confirmed by the mixer.  This can cause confusion as you may think a setting has changed that hasn't.  Eventually it re-syncs up.

I REALLY wish they would put a mode in the physical control surfaces that would work the same way instead of requiring all of the audio to travel to the control surface.  They do it with the Xtouch, so why not let a full  X32 control another over Ethernet??
Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 06:39:19 AM »

I REALLY wish they would put a mode in the physical control surfaces that would work the same way instead of requiring all of the audio to travel to the control surface.  They do it with the Xtouch, so why not let a full  X32 control another over Ethernet??

Not sure what you are getting at Brian.  I was not aware that any audio was transferred over wifi. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 10:40:25 AM »

Audio will still pass if you lose your connection. I had a band start playing once before I had even unpacked my laptop and connected to my M32C. Luckily I had done the same band the night before so the mix was pretty much there.
As others have said, if your using WiFi invest in a good access point and always use 5GHz, not 2.4. I have read that it also helps to not broadcast the SSID. I do but have never had an issue.
If you are (or think you might) switch back and forth from WiFi to wired, use static addresses for everything and be sure they are on the same subnet. Actual routers (as opposed to Access Points) use a different subnet for WiFi and wired so if you switch, you may not be able to connect.
Jeff

Dwayne Aasberg

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 10:57:27 AM »

I use a Ubiquity Access Point which I strongly recommend over a router.  You don’t need a router.

Hi Scott.
Risking derailing this thread...

I admit to not understanding the difference between a router and an AP.  I use a 5GHz router to access M32/MR18 remotely.  I disabled 2.4GHz in that router to avoid loss of control situations.  I also use the router to manage a RPI running light control.

Anyway, can you direct me to guidance on setting up an AP without a router?  Everything I find about APs appears to describe them in home or enterprise settings.

Thx.  D
Just a guy who dabbles.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 11:59:40 AM »

Not sure what you are getting at Brian.  I was not aware that any audio was transferred over wifi.
He means using one x32 to control another using OSC.  Would be neat, but doubt we'll ever see it.  Not a big enough market with multiple mixers.

I admit to not understanding the difference between a router and an AP.  I use a 5GHz router to access M32/MR18 remotely.  I disabled 2.4GHz in that router to avoid loss of control situations.  I also use the router to manage a RPI running light control.

Anyway, can you direct me to guidance on setting up an AP without a router?  Everything I find about APs appears to describe them in home or enterprise settings.
A typical "home router" combines a modem, router, switch and wireless access point (AP) into a single device - all very convenient.  You can buy each device separately but, unsurprisingly, the bulk of domestic users want a single, simple box.

Take a home router, plug into its LAN port, rather than the modem, disable DNS, and you have then turned it into an AP with a built-in switch and DHCP server - which is often just what you want for use with a mixer.  You can even disable DHCP, but then you have the extra ball-ache of configuring static IP addresses on all connected devices.

If this is already starting to make your head ache, then welcome to the world of networking.

These days, you really do need some networking knowledge and capability.  Those that do, typically have no problems with their network kit for audio devices.  Those that don't often end up spending loads, and still have problems.

Dwayne Aasberg

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 01:04:42 PM »

If this is already starting to make your head ache, then welcome to the world of networking.

Haha, thx Alec.  Not aching so much as swirling and collating.

Take a home router, plug into its LAN port, rather than the modem, disable DNS, and you have then turned it into an AP with a built-in switch and DHCP server - which is often just what you want for use with a mixer.  You can even disable DHCP, but then you have the extra ball-ache of configuring static IP addresses on all connected devices.

Ah Ha! [queue choir]  Thanks for this short/sweet description.  This helps a whole bunch!

Add on question,  is there any difference between this neutered router and a purpose designed AP like a Ubiquiti device?

Thx again, D.
Just a guy who dabbles.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 01:04:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.