ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need some ideas/help. Thanks  (Read 664 times)

scottstephens

I need some ideas/help. Thanks
« on: March 20, 2024, 02:04:39 PM »

Hey All,

So your TAX dollars at work....I have been asked to design a permanent outdoor audio system for your local county courthouse "plaza".  Since I can't really upload a picture I will describe this as well and as easily as I can.  A big Sandstone Historic building with a set of steps in the front that are 3 tiered. 9 steps, a 6 foot platform, 9 more steps a 6 foot platform and 9 more steps to entry platform with doors that are only used as an emergency exit; because as you all know, we have the ADA.  Enterance to the building is under the stairs at street level.

To the left (west) of the stairs is an area about 60x60. 30 feet from the street towards the courthouse is a sitting area around a small "green"area with 1 tree and flowers. There is a decorative light pole  beside/behind that tree.  This area needs audio coverage.  On the opposite side, East of the Stairs there is a Large Area. 60 feet deep but about 100 wide. This area also has a "green" sitting area and a few tables. This area needs audio.  Behind and slightly to the east of the stairs, 25 feet or so,  there is a area of about 30 feet wide and 80 feet long. This is currently parking for employees, but it is going away and also needs audio as it too will become a green space with tables. So audio coverage will have 3 zones.

I am thinking something like the JBL AWC 8 inch speakers because, of course, the speakers must be heard and not really noticeable. I am thinking these because they are decent sounding, weather-resistant, readily available and cost friendly at about $500 each. The splay on the 8's is stated as 120x120. To power these I was thinking Crown xdi 2002's just because the limiters can set.  By the way, I am not set on any of this gear, so feel free to suggest others. I have looked at RCF's, Technomad and QSC gear.  I am also  specing  2 Shure Wireless Hand held mics.
 First Question:  Can I put 1 paddle on each side/top of the stairs and have good intference free reception?

I am also specing, 2 covered/box mic inputs on each side of the steps at the side /front for choir/groups for during the Christmas Tree lighting  and whatever. I am also considering a bluetooth media player in the rack/control area but it will be around a corner of the building and in a closet/control area so not easily visible. But I am not in charge. I am getting paid to consult/design. A local firm will actually be installing the gear.  Again, Government stuff; so lots of levels of waste and spreading the wealth with unions and whomever else has their fingers in this particular piece of pie. I have been hired by a local architect.

Second Question: what would you guys put in as a control unit/console?  Qu pac digital? Behringer XR ?  Or something analog?  Asking because this will ABSOLUTELY have to be easy to use. Turn on the Furman, everything powers up, turn on a mic and talk away. It will be used by 70 year old grandmas in charge of the National Day of Prayer, the local Chamber of Commerce folks, local politicians/staff and ????  Probably VERY Few people who will know what to do with audio.

Hit me with some answers or tell me to run now.   
Thanks guys.

Scott

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: I need some ideas/help. Thanks
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 03:48:28 PM »

So, is this for speech only?  Or music also?
Probably out of your budget, but Danley has a series of outdoor speakers.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Robert Healey

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 04:14:10 PM »

Second Question: what would you guys put in as a control unit/console?  Qu pac digital? Behringer XR ?  Or something analog?  Asking because this will ABSOLUTELY have to be easy to use. Turn on the Furman, everything powers up, turn on a mic and talk away. It will be used by 70 year old grandmas in charge of the National Day of Prayer, the local Chamber of Commerce folks, local politicians/staff and ????  Probably VERY Few people who will know what to do with audio.

I would highly recommend specifying an installation-focused DSP for this instead of a live sound mixer. A QSC Core 110f with a custom programed UCI that only shows the users what they need to see is typically the best option.

Aso, FWIW, I like the Community R series better than the JBL AWC. The AWC series is cheaper but sounds like it.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 05:22:35 PM »

I would highly recommend specifying an installation-focused DSP for this instead of a live sound mixer. A QSC Core 110f with a custom programed UCI that only shows the users what they need to see is typically the best option.

Huge yes to this - any of the live production mixers are intended to be used ONLY by pro techs, not by non-tech people.  Otherwise a larger/better AV installer will come behind you, rip them out, and you'll be known as the wanna-be company. 

Speakers - there are many options, and the prices of like vs like aren't as different as you expect.  Not many get large/loud, which is where Danley really pulls ahead.  There are many OS family options to choose from.  Also use a small subwoofer; systems sound awful without, unless there is never anything more than speech.  Had a small system not long ago where the owner threatened to rip it all out and return because it sounded so weak and bad; we added some low-mid "subs" and suddenly it sounded awesome. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 09:03:05 PM »

The most complex part of the design will be making the system "appliance simple."  Can't be more difficult than a toaster, or maybe a gas pump, at the most convoluted.

As Misters Healey and Dueck point out, it's all about the DSP and configuring it so that it never has to get touched in normal operation.  That "appliance" thing.

The user interface is ultimately the biggest part of the deal, too, presuming the system delivers a decent approximation of what you were told it needs to do.  Understand, too, that the use cases you've been told may well not be all the ways it will be used.  You can't predict the future, but it's safe to assume that anything than can be plugged into the system, will be, and that there is no limitation to the program material that users will anticipate using.  Keeping it simple to use and as idiot-proof as the budget allows is your goal.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Schalk

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 09:30:01 AM »

Huge yes to this - any of the live production mixers are intended to be used ONLY by pro techs, not by non-tech people.  Otherwise a larger/better AV installer will come behind you, rip them out, and you'll be known as the wanna-be company. 
Recently, I used the installed PA in our local history museum for an event.  It consisted of two JBL column speakers, a power amp, and the JBL CSM 28 mixer.  The inputs on the mixer have "glow rings" around the knobs clearing indicating when there is a signal present on the input.  It made it super easy to grab the right control to adjust the wireless mic or the music playback volume.  I know next to nothing about the products in the commercial/installation market, but thought I'd share my positive experience with this particular unit.

https://jblpro.com/en-US/products/csm-28

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 06:56:58 PM »

Yes and yes to simple what the end user touches needs to be a power switch and an actual knob or two to control the volumes of the inputs, no touch screens no simple mode or advance mode selection, just a couple knobs.

As for Bluetooth.....good luck, they will always want a connection one foot further away than the range of the receiver.

As Tim mentioned after you give them the keys you have no idea how or who will be trying to use the system. I would guess sooner than later someone will try to connect and mixer to the system and attempt a concert.

Good limiting and high pass filtering will be a must.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 06:56:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 25 queries.