ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass guitar in IEM's ... think I found it!  (Read 495 times)

Mal Brown

Bass guitar in IEM's ... think I found it!
« on: March 19, 2024, 02:06:24 PM »

After trying myriad models in Helix/HX land...I landed on... an Ampeg PF-20T.  20 watts from 2 6V6 and 2 12ax7.   This amp has Preamp DI and Output Transformer based DI.  A very simple Bass, Middle, Treble EQ.  Input gain and Master volume.

Here's the kicker... it's a tube amp that can run with no load.

I used the Preamp based DI last reahearsal for about 3 hours and it was so much more lively and full that any of the Helix/HX patches I have tried.   I do like some effects on bass.  Synths for 80's pop, sub octaves and modulation.   I'll try putting my HX Stomp in play ahead of the little 'peg next rehearsal...

For the record... I'm using the Shure PSM-300 IEM rig with Etymotic ER3 buds.  Going to get impressions made next week for 64 Audio custom molds.

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Bass guitar in IEM's ... think I found it!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 11:07:10 PM »

I've nor been happy with anything Helix really. Possibly due to the enormous amount of effects you can use and the lack of self control most guitarists use.

I find the secret to "hearing" the bass is found around 500-800 Hz. That tube amp with it's pleasing harmonics is most likely giving you a little extra sauce in that region. Nothing wrong with that, but just know its not the only way to acheive good sound in IEM's. I've had plenty of success using either a Sansamp or a RedDi.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 11:54:24 AM »

I've nor been happy with anything Helix really. Possibly due to the enormous amount of effects you can use and the lack of self control most guitarists use.

I find the secret to "hearing" the bass is found around 500-800 Hz. That tube amp with it's pleasing harmonics is most likely giving you a little extra sauce in that region. Nothing wrong with that, but just know its not the only way to acheive good sound in IEM's. I've had plenty of success using either a Sansamp or a RedDi.

I can picture the REDDI doing well.  I tried a few different Sansamps years back.  Didn't care for any of them except the ParaDriver.   That one was pretty clear.  The Bass Diver I found muddy.

I have an old BMax T laying about.   I'll try that next.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Nick Andrews

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 03:32:38 PM »

Def get a hybrid iem that has a dynamic driver for the low end... balanced armatures don't create bass as well as dynamics....

Rob Stevens

• Rob Stevens
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 04:54:03 PM »

I run a Broughton Super Stack for this and really like it, for in ear gigs, simpler the better.

A friend of mine is running a rack Tube pre (Presonus) into a sansamp, and it has a limiter in there somewhere, that works pretty well too.

I havent gone custom molds yet as I dont do enough in ear gigs really to justify it, If I am running sound too I still feel better with a Monitor.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 05:49:22 PM »

One of the absolute BEST things you can do is to find/build one of these:

https://www.homecinemacenter.com/ButtKicker-Platform-BKP-p/bkp.htm

It's discontinued, but all it is, is a buttkicker on some plywood with rubbery feet. Very simple to make. Even the 20 watts from your Ampeg would make it move, but its better with like 200-400 watts. It's even more betterer if you can get the kick signal into it.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 05:49:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.