ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Flip cases, Are they worth it?  (Read 1728 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Flip cases, Are they worth it?
« on: March 19, 2024, 12:01:10 PM »

As some of us know, being a small business owner and working alone sometimes posses it challenges, one of which is lifting a console on to some road cases or a folding stand. Some time ago someone had posted a "flip case" and although I find it difficult to justify the costs on some of these ($2K+) it IS very convenient to be able to flip it out of its case and lock in place.

Does anyone here have these? If so, how reliable are they and have they been a solid case that wouldn't cause damage to your desks? They appear to be secure.

Thanks in advance. :)

Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Flip cases, Are they worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 01:17:34 PM »

I've seen one in person, and it seems like a solid built case and flipping it open certainly can simplify setup.

My concern though is how narrow the case is.  It's only about 14 inches thick.  On a flat surface it seems fine, but it just feels like it wants to be knocked over.  I didn't test to see how much it would take to flip, so it could just be a perception thing. Making sure the wheels are locked in the outward facing position instead of in adds a couple inches of stability. The way the system hinges, it does center the weight of the mixer on the case, but again, if someone decides to lean on the doghouse, I'd be a bit concerned.

I've considered building my own, making it just a bit wider which potentially could leave some extra space for cables or whatever.  Added weight obviously then becomes a concern.  The added width would match my truck pack width of 21.5 inches.
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 02:40:26 PM »

As some of us know, being a small business owner and working alone sometimes posses it challenges, one of which is lifting a console on to some road cases or a folding stand. Some time ago someone had posted a "flip case" and although I find it difficult to justify the costs on some of these ($2K+) it IS very convenient to be able to flip it out of its case and lock in place.

Does anyone here have these? If so, how reliable are they and have they been a solid case that wouldn't cause damage to your desks? They appear to be secure.

Thanks in advance. :)

We had one of those come thru a couple months ago.  If you're 100% indoors on flat, hard, level surface... it's okay.  It's convenient to not need 4 stagehands (or 2, for X/M32) for a console party, and it's a fast deployment/return, but I'm with Brian - it can be a tipover accident waiting to happen.

What's your gig experience with guests or staff bumping into your mix position?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 02:45:12 PM »

We had one of those come thru a couple months ago.  If you're 100% indoors on flat, hard, level surface... it's okay.  It's convenient to not need 4 stagehands (or 2, for X/M32) for a console party, and it's a fast deployment/return, but I'm with Brian - it can be a tipover accident waiting to happen.

What's your gig experience with guests or staff bumping into your mix position?

Thanks Brian/Tim for the feedback.
Yes, it does seem to be a little "top heavy" and potentially prone to being tipped over if not on a flat surface and security barriers around you. Most of the time I'm using my M32C with the DL32 all racked in a case, but there are instances where the full console would be deployed and working alone is the only option, this would certainly work out in my favor.

I can't say that I've ever encountered a situation where people were bumping into my consoles, thankfully, but good to keep that in mind.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 03:57:15 PM »

I'm 100% onboard with these. 

As a smaller operator myself it makes setting up a larger console trivial compared to lifting one out of a case.  I can sympathize with the tipping concern and concede it's easier to tip one of these compared to setting up shop on a table or road trunk but have never had issues - even on grass.  I usually pipe & drape myself a booth for corporate gigs and do the riser & fencing for lawn gigs, so drunk patrons knocking things over usually isn't a concern.  Hope that helps!

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 04:20:51 PM »

My issue with these is the amount of real estate they take up. Being able to toss the console on top of a drive rack, monitor amp rack, split, stage box, etc. comes in handy all of the time for my situations. With this you're pretty much stuck with the console taking up all that room and everything else you have in your kit needs to live next to it instead of under it.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 04:40:32 PM »

My issue with these is the amount of real estate they take up. Being able to toss the console on top of a drive rack, monitor amp rack, split, stage box, etc. comes in handy all of the time for my situations. With this you're pretty much stuck with the console taking up all that room and everything else you have in your kit needs to live next to it instead of under it.

I can certainly see how that would be a dilemma if working in a tight space or limited area, but if you're having to use such a large console in such tight spaces where that is a concern, maybe adapt a smaller footprint with a rack console? certainly would take up much less surface for that need.

Here's one of my rack consoles (M32C & DL32) using up very little space... (sorry for the horrible side photo)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 04:45:34 PM by Sam Costa »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 05:08:24 PM »

Not all flip cases are created equally.
Some of them have a quick release on the console tray so you can release the console tray from the flight case and put it on top of a table/rack or similar.
Also helps when you need to get in into a tight control booth.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2024, 07:50:06 PM »

Not all flip cases are created equally.
Some of them have a quick release on the console tray so you can release the console tray from the flight case and put it on top of a table/rack or similar.
Also helps when you need to get in into a tight control booth.

Got a link to one with tray release??

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 12:58:04 AM »

Personally, I think these are the stupidest, most inflexible cases around. I can't think of any situation where they would be better than a regular case. I would never use one, would not let a company that I hire send out a console in one, and would be upset if I received a console in one, but, clearly some people have found a use for them as companies do keep on making them!
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 12:58:04 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.