Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX  (Read 717 times)

Mark Knight

DMX
« on: March 18, 2024, 01:52:47 PM »

Hi, I am a real newbie.  I just bought a couple of moving heads, that I really just want on prism, slowly moving around during my sets.

It looks like I need a DMX for this.

So - If I bought a DMX controller, and I create the scenes, will they just play?  Or do I need a programmable DMX?

I saw one on Amazon for £30 - Do you think something like this would work?

Alternatively, would I be better off going down the Vibrio method?

Paul G. OBrien

Re: DMX
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 05:56:22 PM »

Hi, I am a real newbie.  I just bought a couple of moving heads, that I really just want on prism, slowly moving around during my sets.

It looks like I need a DMX for this.

Some heads have built in movement programs you can access from the onboard menues but those may or may not be anything like what you want. With a DMX controller you can get the effect you want but usually not with the cheaper hardware versions, to get smooth movements requires a controller with built-in movement macros(a shape generator). I have 2 hardware controllers here that can do this easily.. the Blizzard ProKontrol MH and the ADJ WMX1, and just about any software based system should be capable of doing this you just need an interface of some type. I haven't used the Vibrio software so can't comment on that specifically but I have tried to use another architectural software package recently to control moving heads and it wasn't terribly successful.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 01:21:49 AM »

Some heads have built in movement programs you can access from the onboard menues but those may or may not be anything like what you want. With a DMX controller you can get the effect you want but usually not with the cheaper hardware versions, to get smooth movements requires a controller with built-in movement macros(a shape generator). I have 2 hardware controllers here that can do this easily.. the Blizzard ProKontrol MH and the ADJ WMX1, and just about any software based system should be capable of doing this you just need an interface of some type. I haven't used the Vibrio software so can't comment on that specifically but I have tried to use another architectural software package recently to control moving heads and it wasn't terribly successful.

There is an open box WMX-1 on eBay save a few bucks.  It is a super nice box and you can plug your hazer (if you don't have one get one, it's a must) and par/wash lights into it in addition to the automated fixtures.   

Here is a video of it in action https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WMX1--adj-wmx1-standalone-dmx-lighting-controller

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Knight

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 06:14:55 AM »

Thanks guys.  For my first foray into this kind of stuff, those machines are a bit out of my price range.  Whilst I'm singing, I don't really want the moving heads spinning and colour changing all over the place so the auto settings won't work.  I really want something a bit more graceful.  Slow ups and downs in the prism effect only.  I'm not even sure I can get the prism only without a controller.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 11:17:24 AM »

The ProKontrol is available from various places online for only $329, that is cheaper than some artnet interfaces.. something you will need to use an app based solution.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 04:49:19 PM »

I'll try to directly answer your question as I understand it.  You probably can't get the effect you want with just the light.  If you purchased an inexpensive DMX controller that will let you record a few scenes and chases, yes you can use it to do what you want to do.  You will need one that has at least as many channels of control as your light has DMX control channels.  As an example, if you light needs 12 channels to control all the functions, a controller with 12 channels will work.  Ch 1 might control the pan, ch 2 the tilt, 3 the dimmer, and so forth.  Find which channel activates the prism and which adjusts the rotation, and which adjusts the speed. When you get the result you want, store it as a scene.  A chase is just a sequence of scenes.  Memory controllers and the WMX-1 mentioned can give you great shows, but if you just want a single look to stay on, even a manual DMX controller with enough sliders can create that effect, but I think you really want a controller that can record and playback chases.

Mark Knight

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 12:03:30 PM »

Thanks again. Don, I think you are right. From memory, the Prism is on ch11.

One thing I wondered is whether I could build the kind of playback chase on something like Sweetwater?  It looks like I can import a backing track I use, then add scenes to create exactly what I need.

Am I right? 

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 05:47:31 PM »

Thanks again. Don, I think you are right. From memory, the Prism is on ch11.

One thing I wondered is whether I could build the kind of playback chase on something like Sweetwater?  It looks like I can import a backing track I use, then add scenes to create exactly what I need.

Am I right?

I'm not certain what "Sweetwater" is.  If it is a lighting/sound/DMX interface, please include a link so I can investigate.

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 11:31:18 PM »

If you only want one effect for the whole night, almost any cheap DMX controller will work as long as it can provide 16 channels per fixture. You'll have to spend some time (1) learning basic programming (2) setting up a simple program/chase for your needs.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 11:31:18 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.