ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What point source cabinets will do an upgrade SPL wise  (Read 3453 times)

Rolando Saenz

What point source cabinets will do an upgrade SPL wise
« on: March 13, 2024, 06:37:06 AM »

Guys,
I have 2 DSR112's that I normally use
One per side in top of subs.

Sometimes I "array" them one in top of the other
With the tweeters coupled
I know they are not designed for it
And cause some comb filtering ,but that way I increase my SPL and throw .

What would be the next upgrade so I can have more SPL
DZR's one in top of the other?
Or any other model that was designed to do the 2 cab "array" thing

I'm not looking to get proper small  linear system like
4 or 6 rcf 6.5" linear boxes per side.
As a weekend warrior I can't justify and expense 2k per box times 12
So maybe 2 very high power point source or 4 that can be arrayed 2 per side .

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: What point source cabinets will do an upgrade SPL wise
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 07:51:46 AM »

Are you only considering powered/active speakers? Is weight an issue?

Some of the 3-way cabinets on the market might produce more SPL, within a similar footprint to your current rig.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 08:47:33 AM »

Dual PA
I had to look up your speakers and it says they are 90 degrees wide coverage.

If this is for use with a live band and you only need 90 degrees of coverage a side I would suggest that you use the Dual PA method. But if it for a DJ then this method won’t help.

With horns with 90 degrees horizontal coverage the chances are if you splay the boxes (next to each other) so the horns play nice together when in pairs you will have to splay the fronts too far apart and then the 15s probably don’t play nice together any more.

The dual PA method you put 2 on each side of the stage and flat front them. Feed one on each side only the instruments and the other one on each side only the vocals. This can work great if all you need is 90 degrees of horizontal coverage.

The first time I did a dual PA setup I was expected to use 2 speakers aside in a room that was capable of being covered with one a side because the dispersion was wide enough. And the room was only about 900 seats with a balcony but no under balcony. My solution was to do the dual PA trick and I loved it.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 09:33:34 AM »

I think you are at or near the top of the spectrum for output and clarity in this price range.

I can't think of anything within the same price range that will give you anything more than a DSR112.

To cover more area outside with more clarity, I think that you will indeed be looking at speakers that are array able, or in a higher price range.

A point source system such as the SM80 and TH118 from Danley would give you more output, but is more expensive and larger with external amplification.

I will say that I have done some outdoor jobs with my DSR112's where they covered way more than I thought they would.  I haven't A/B'd the DZR's; however, based on what I have heard from them, and from those that have owned both, I don't believe that the DZR would be much (if any) of an output improvement over the DSR112.

John Bosco

• Haddam, CT - USA
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 09:52:07 AM »

Dual PA

The dual PA method you put 2 on each side of the stage and flat front them. Feed one on each side only the instruments and the other one on each side only the vocals. This can work great if all you need is 90 degrees of horizontal coverage.

The first time I did a dual PA setup I was expected to use 2 speakers aside in a room that was capable of being covered with one a side because the dispersion was wide enough. And the room was only about 900 seats with a balcony but no under balcony. My solution was to do the dual PA trick and I loved it.

First time I used dual PA it was the early 80's, just out of High School, some friends asked me to do sound for an upcoming show. They had a hodgepodge of equipment including two pairs of full range speakers, Gollehon and EV,  two boards a Yamaha and if I recall a TOA neither of which had enough inputs for the band. We ended up running vocals through one and instruments through the other and got compliments all night on how good it sounded.
"All I want is a good sandwich. You see this sandwhich here? This tuna sandwhich? That's all I want, a good sandwich." - John  Gotti

Jay Marr

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 10:11:04 AM »

I use DSR112s for my small/medium rooms as well.
When I need more, I use JTR Noesis 3TX (not discontinued, but JTR has some newer models that replaced them).
I find them very easy to transport and put on a tripod (same effort as DSRs).
I have yet to find an event or venue that the JTRs cannot cover. 
I put them over dual 18" subs, and they outrun the subs.

Nate Zifra

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 10:50:06 AM »

If your budget is around 2k per box, I would look into the DbTechnologies IG3T.  They are meant to be arrayed exactly the way you are trying to do with your DSRs, and cover a lot of ground. I use them outdoors either one or two per side depending on how much SPL I need. 

The only drawback to using two per side is that in that configuration, they are not pole mountable.  You either need to "fly" them from truss or a lift, or stack them.  I'm assuming you are stacking now, so they may check the boxes for you.

Here's a sample from an outdoor festival with them doubled up and flown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQS1oZIwGS0

Here's a sample of just single IG3T's per side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLQE3x_Evw4

Both videos were recorded just with a Samsung S22 phone, no external mic. 

Guys,
I have 2 DSR112's that I normally use
One per side in top of subs.

Sometimes I "array" them one in top of the other
With the tweeters coupled
I know they are not designed for it
And cause some comb filtering ,but that way I increase my SPL and throw .

DZR's one in top of the other?
Or any other model that was designed to do the 2 cab "array" thing

I'm not looking to get proper small  linear system like
4 or 6 rcf 6.5" linear boxes per side.
As a weekend warrior I can't justify and expense 2k per box times 12
So maybe 2 very high power point source or 4 that can be arrayed 2 per side .

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 12:27:13 PM »

Are you only considering powered/active speakers? Is weight an issue?

Some of the 3-way cabinets on the market might produce more SPL, within a similar footprint to your current rig.

Dave
Active or passive is ok, weight is no issue as long they have a significant upgrade of SPL vs the DSR112's , to me the qsc K series do not get up to the level, maybe the KW 3 way but I guess they are not array able.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 06:01:27 PM »

Active or passive is ok, weight is no issue as long they have a significant upgrade of SPL vs the DSR112's , to me the qsc K series do not get up to the level, maybe the KW 3 way but I guess they are not array able.

Array able? Your current speakers claim 90 degree horizontal dispersion. QSC KW153's (your example) claim 75 degrees. Not a huge difference, but less splay would be required to lessen comb filtering when running 2 per side.

My point in suggesting a 3-way systems is there might be more clarity/headroom at the given SPL.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 06:51:54 PM »

Array able? Your current speakers claim 90 degree horizontal dispersion. QSC KW153's (your example) claim 75 degrees. Not a huge difference, but less splay would be required to lessen comb filtering when running 2 per side.

My point in suggesting a 3-way systems is there might be more clarity/headroom at the given SPL.

Dave
Thing when splaying is more coverage horizontally but I want more SPL at 90 , not 2 75 cabs splayed for 150 coverage,
The DbTechnologies IGT3 looks nice

If doing an A/B comparison the DbTech will wipe the DSR right?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 06:51:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.