ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spinning socapex inserts - Is there a fix?  (Read 481 times)

Geri O'Neil

Spinning socapex inserts - Is there a fix?
« on: March 11, 2024, 12:22:43 AM »

My first time to venture in this part of the forum....

In my semi-retirement, I'm tasked with not only getting repairs done, but finding long-term solutions for recurring problems such as socapex pin or socket inserts that spin out of alignment.

We've seen these off and on, but there's been a rather number of them cropping up. About all of the ones in question have several years on them. The boss and I are about ready to have a good ol' socapex replacement party, but I thought I'd see if anyone has a solution as a last resort before replacing the thing.

I can envision drilling a hole and tapping the shell for a small setscrew. But I don't know if there's room inside the shell and between the insert for a drill and a tap. I actually plan to dig into this tomorrow.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Spinning socapex inserts - Is there a fix?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 07:50:35 AM »

I can envision drilling a hole and tapping the shell for a small setscrew. But I don't know if there's room inside the shell and between the insert for a drill and a tap. I actually plan to dig into this tomorrow.
I have done something similar with decent results using a small metal screw then cutting off the head.
With a bit of filing it can be made to fit the groove in the shell.
Be careful how deep the screw goes so as not to engage with a connector!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mike Smith

• Event Technical Systems
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 09:18:35 AM »

My first time to venture in this part of the forum....

In my semi-retirement, I'm tasked with not only getting repairs done, but finding long-term solutions for recurring problems such as socapex pin or socket inserts that spin out of alignment.

We've seen these off and on, but there's been a rather number of them cropping up. About all of the ones in question have several years on them. The boss and I are about ready to have a good ol' socapex replacement party, but I thought I'd see if anyone has a solution as a last resort before replacing the thing.

This isn't a universal fix but I've done it a few times: Remove the two screws that fasten the outer shell halves to the connector chassis and take a look inside. The interior "pin" end, or front end, of the shells should have cast-in tabs or keys that fit into narrow machined slots. Over time, the tabs can wear away or shear off and you get a lot of free-play. You can buy repair kits that include a pair of replacement shells, screws, and strain relief bushings; the kits aren't inexpensive but they cost less than new connectors and you don't have to redo the wiring (assuming it's still okay).
Mike Smith

Event Technical Systems

http://www.eventtechnicalsystems.com/

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 11:54:42 AM »

Many time the spinning Soco are the result of the back shell being twisted in a wrong attempt to unmate the connectors and the twisting of the wires eventually deform the pinblock's guide tab.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 11:54:42 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.