ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2) ew300 g3 iem systems on 1 a2003uhf antenna?  (Read 396 times)

Nick Andrews

2) ew300 g3 iem systems on 1 a2003uhf antenna?
« on: March 04, 2024, 04:52:00 PM »

Hi everyone

I'm throwing together a small Secondary rf rack with 2) ew300 g3 iem systems and wanted to get opinions on using a shure passive antenna combiner to share the a2003 uhf paddle antenna. I was aiming to skip using a ac3 antenna combiner for this little rack.

Any concerns doing this?

Thanks !

Nick

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: 2) ew300 g3 iem systems on 1 a2003uhf antenna?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 07:42:20 PM »

Hi everyone

I'm throwing together a small Secondary rf rack with 2) ew300 g3 iem systems and wanted to get opinions on using a shure passive antenna combiner to share the a2003 uhf paddle antenna. I was aiming to skip using a ac3 antenna combiner for this little rack.

Any concerns doing this?

Don't use that particular splitter; it's not rated for the RF power level directly connected transmitters will put out. A proper option is this. This can safely handle up to 100mW input at each port when used as a combiner.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Nick Andrews

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 09:32:13 PM »

Don't use that particular splitter; it's not rated for the RF power level directly connected transmitters will put out. A proper option is this. This can safely handle up to 100mW input at each port when used as a combiner.

Aha! Makes sense yea .... 30mw I believe is what the sk300 put out in standard mode.... so the ua221 passive combiners can't handle 60mw combined I guess ? Wow good to know!

Thanks!

Ps - will there be gain loss by doing this or do I get back gain by using the a2003 uhf paddle ?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 11:18:38 PM by Nick Andrews »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 07:59:54 AM »

Aha! Makes sense yea .... 30mw I believe is what the sk300 put out in standard mode.... so the ua221 passive combiners can't handle 60mw combined I guess ? Wow good to know!

Thanks!

Ps - will there be gain loss by doing this or do I get back gain by using the a2003 uhf paddle ?

About 3db (if the combining loss is the same as splitting loss)

That antenna has about 5db of gain so you will be still have a little gain left over!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 11:58:28 AM »

About 3db (if the combining loss is the same as splitting loss)

I don't believe it is the same, the spec says 0.5dB of insertion loss.

Mac

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 12:48:14 PM »

I don't believe it is the same, the spec says 0.5dB of insertion loss.

.5dB is the insertion loss above the mathematical 3dB loss of a two-way split/combine. All passive RF circuits/devices have two loss specifications; that of the mathematical power/energy loss per branch (2-way split = 3dB per branch; 4-way = 6dB per branch; 8-way = 9dB per branch . . .), and the physical insertion loss due to real-world physics of no transmission line being lossless.

Wilkinson circuits are the most commonly available splitter/combiner circuits and typically have .5-1dB insertion loss (above the mathematical loss) based on frequency range, power handling and connection type. The other important parameter, especially when using this circuit for combining, is port to port isolation; the greater the better, so as to feed as little power as possible from one transmitter into the other. (Isolators are generally recommended in between the TX port and the combiner port, but they are very expensive are not truly needed in this particularl low power 2-way application.)

A 3+dB loss on the inbound (RX) side is not a major concern. On the outbound (TX) side, it can be since the absolute loss is greater. Ensure the link budget permits the loss at the RF power output level available.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 12:48:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.