ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rackmount 110v-240v power strip?  (Read 1072 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Rackmount 110v-240v power strip?
« on: February 06, 2024, 11:01:31 AM »

Looking for a rack mounted, universal voltage power strip that I can use for domestic US and international fly dates. I have a few of the "E-Link Power" strips from Amazon that work really well, but they're currently unavailable, and I need a few more for some upcoming dates.

The ideal solution would have NEMA 5-15 style outlets in the strip section, so that we can plug-in our gear "as normal."

All of our rack mount gear is universal voltage (90v-240v), so no worries there. Trying to avoid having to buy a ton of new IEC cables for international dates and/or carrying a bunch of adapters. Looking for light-weight PDU-style solutions.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Rackmount 110v-240v power strip?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 12:39:14 PM »

Looking for a rack mounted, universal voltage power strip that I can use for domestic US and international fly dates. I have a few of the "E-Link Power" strips from Amazon that work really well, but they're currently unavailable, and I need a few more for some upcoming dates.

The ideal solution would have NEMA 5-15 style outlets in the strip section, so that we can plug-in our gear "as normal."

All of our rack mount gear is universal voltage (90v-240v), so no worries there. Trying to avoid having to buy a ton of new IEC cables for international dates and/or carrying a bunch of adapters. Looking for light-weight PDU-style solutions.

What you are asking for is not legal as it would allow 240V on a NEMA 5-15 outlet. (That amazon one seems sketch and likely why its unavailable)    I would look at a IEC power strip, and then IEC to IEC cables to connect from the strip to the equipment. 
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 02:10:15 PM »

Legal schmegal.  If it's inside your own rack and labeled I wouldn't sweat it too much. 

I'd throw a truecon on the power strip (which is universal voltage) and create a set of adaptors for each connector type and call it a day.  Big 'WARNING universal voltage' labels on the power strip would be a bonus.
Brian Jojade

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 09:55:15 AM »

an adapter like this?

https://www.infinitecables.com/products/schuko-cee-7-7-euro-male-to-5-15r-power-adapter

This is from a vendor in Canada FYI. I have a handful of various adapters that have come in handy for international artists touring North America.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 05:55:37 PM »

Legal schmegal.  If it's inside your own rack and labeled I wouldn't sweat it too much.  {...}

A lot of power strips (especially ones with surge protection) get pretty cranky when fed with more than their rated 125V, so it's less about "legal sweat" and more about "not letting the magic smoke out".

{...} I would look at a IEC power strip, and then IEC to IEC cables to connect from the strip to the equipment. 

This should work if it's designed for dual-voltage; the other options I can think of are:
  • a dual-voltage PowerCON power strip
  • a NEMA 6-15 power strip (as long as its over-current protection doesn't get confused by running it at a lower voltage)
  • a Schuko (or other 230V) power strip (with the same stipulation as the NEMA 6-15 suggestion)
  • some kind of IEC octopus cable (or even a series of IEC two-fers); this won't have a switch (or offer any over-current protection), but will probably be quite a bit lighter than a rack-mountable power strip

-Russ

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2024, 06:26:55 PM »

A lot of power strips (especially ones with surge protection) get pretty cranky when fed with more than their rated 125V, so it's less about "legal sweat" and more about "not letting the magic smoke out".

This should work if it's designed for dual-voltage; the other options I can think of are:
  • a dual-voltage PowerCON power strip
  • a NEMA 6-15 power strip (as long as its over-current protection doesn't get confused by running it at a lower voltage)
  • a Schuko (or other 230V) power strip (with the same stipulation as the NEMA 6-15 suggestion)
  • some kind of IEC octopus cable (or even a series of IEC two-fers); this won't have a switch (or offer any over-current protection), but will probably be quite a bit lighter than a rack-mountable power strip
-Russ

Isn't this what you are looking for? https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-100-240V-Rack-Mount-PDUH20DV/dp/B004Q7I8D4
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 03:10:01 PM »

Ones without surge protection or voltage regulation won't care at all.  MOV based surge protectors may have lower than 220v ratings and yeah, those would burn up on a 220v circuit.  However, the 'cheaper' ones usually just have a higher voltage rating and are designed to protect against LARGE surges, not just slightly higher voltage.

In any case, I don't like those in my racks at all.  The problem is as MOVs age, sometimes they start to leak and cause buzz and noise in the system.  A little snippy snippy later and they're no longer in the power strip and problem solved.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 03:10:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.