ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Older pa vs. Newer pa  (Read 2569 times)

Alex Gribatsch

Older pa vs. Newer pa
« on: January 12, 2024, 11:53:44 AM »

Hello. New to this forum. I was curious about older pa speakers vs the newer ones. I have 4 peavey 115 international speakers. Is it worth replacing these speakers with newer ones. I'm looking at jbl srx835's or equivalent. Thanks for any opinions.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Older pa vs. Newer pa
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 12:02:05 PM »

Hello. New to this forum. I was curious about older pa speakers vs the newer ones. I have 4 peavey 115 international speakers. Is it worth replacing these speakers with newer ones. I'm looking at jbl srx835's or equivalent. Thanks for any opinions.

Per the signup page and the top of every other page your display name must be your real name to participate.  thank you.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 01:19:17 PM »

Don't read this response until your name gets fixed...

The 115 international had quite a few different iterations, starting in the early 80's or even sooner. Knowing exactly which ones you might have would tell a little more about what they can do.  However, the Peavey 115 international and the JBL SRX835 are wildly different classes of speakers.  The JBLs aren't just better because they are newer.  Just like JBLs newer entry level line can't compete against their higher end lines.

Back in the day when I had 115's, I was able to make them sound pretty darned good.  Back in the 90's, price per dollar Peavey was a heck of a deal.  Rock solid speakers that you could drive into stupid and they just took the abuse.

Of course, they got a bad rep because inexperienced users would drive them into stupid and as such make them sound like crap.  More expensive cabs would have just fried and stop making sound.  But, driven appropriately, I've not been disappointed with the older Peavey offerings.

Brian Jojade

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 02:55:11 PM »

Hello. New to this forum.  Thanks for any opinions.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Alex Gribatsch

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 07:45:20 AM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Alex Gribatsch

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 07:53:44 AM »

Thanks for your reply. I believe they are series III.
3-WAY with horn mids and highs. Purchased the first set in 88 and the other set about 10 years ago.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 07:27:52 PM »

Thanks for your reply. I believe they are series III.
3-WAY with horn mids and highs. Purchased the first set in 88 and the other set about 10 years ago.

I'd go with new without thinking twice, regardless of brand.  You have nearly end of life mixed with extremely past end of life; not worth fixing unless your time is free, components are nearly so, you have a large quantity of speakers, and you're fine with outdated sound quality. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 12:07:16 AM »

I'd go with new without thinking twice, regardless of brand.  You have nearly end of life mixed with extremely past end of life; not worth fixing unless your time is free, components are nearly so, you have a large quantity of speakers, and you're fine with outdated sound quality.

If you already HAVE the speakers and they're still doing their job acceptably, there's no immediate need to replace them.  "Outdated sound quality" is kind of silly.  Older speakers can sound just fine.

If you've got the money for new, then yeah, newer is probably a better choice for a lot of reasons, but that doesn't mean old cabinets can't sound fine.
Brian Jojade

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 10:40:12 PM »

Older speakers can sound just fine.
Certainly, but there are many layers of "it depends" and " your milage will vary" that can apply here.

Driver technology has improved as of late but the best of that remains up at the Pro/touring level, down at the consumer level it could be argued that driver tech has taken a step back as most speakers in this bracket now contain made-to-order chinese drivers that are only just robust enough to do the job. But what has changed in a big way as a result of the consumer PA market moving to self powered speakers is the amount and sophistocation of processing included, this results in speakers that are capable of higher overall performance out of the box... more SPL in many cases but also a flatter response, nearly bullet proof protection built in, and a simplified setup with no outboard gear required.

So how something like an SRX835p compares to those classic Peavey's depends in large part on how the OP is powering and processing them.  If it's just a basic power amp and maybe a graphic EQ then the difference is going to be quite dramatic, but if he's got them bi-amped with some custom DSP tuning then not so much.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 10:45:21 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 01:04:34 PM »

Peavey.  Lots of things I'd like to say (most of the good) but I think it comes down to building competitive products, too often operated by less than stellar customers with mediocre results, for which the brand would be blamed.

In my rose-colored rear view mirror, I see some good memories of mixing on various versions of the SP series, beating them hard and learning how to replace LF baskets and HF diaphragms when it was too much.

The biggest impediment to good sound is the operator and/or the source.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 01:04:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.