ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line array question.  (Read 1767 times)

Al Rettich

Line array question.
« on: December 16, 2023, 07:47:42 AM »

Has anyone ever seen this before.  Yesterday I went to visit some old friends on a tour. They had the new Panther rig out.  It was explained to me, that each box had its own channel of control through (I think it was calisto) controller.  What got me, was for 90 mins the SE took a measurement mix cabinet to cabinet checking delay. Soundcheck sounded good, and as I’ve learned if it sounds good doesn’t mean it’s always right.  When I was touring CH always said treat it as one source.  Has this changed? If he was putting delay at each box where was his starting point? Wouldn’t this affect the science of a line array? I’d like to learn more.  Please tell me

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Line array question.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 10:40:26 AM »

Hard to say, but if he was running Galaxy for processing he could be verifying the low mid beam control feature.
It's basically an all-pass filter deployed to adjust the low end vertical dispersion.

Al Rettich

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 01:25:44 PM »

I did see him writing down the delta delay from Smaart then going back into the control software for Meyer. 
Hard to say, but if he was running Galaxy for processing he could be verifying the low mid beam control feature.
It's basically an all-pass filter deployed to adjust the low end vertical dispersion.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 05:29:48 PM »

Has anyone ever seen this before.  Yesterday I went to visit some old friends on a tour. They had the new Panther rig out.  It was explained to me, that each box had its own channel of control through (I think it was calisto) controller.  What got me, was for 90 mins the SE took a measurement mix cabinet to cabinet checking delay. Soundcheck sounded good, and as I’ve learned if it sounds good doesn’t mean it’s always right.  When I was touring CH always said treat it as one source.  Has this changed? If he was putting delay at each box where was his starting point? Wouldn’t this affect the science of a line array? I’d like to learn more.  Please tell me
If he was delaying each cabinet differently, then it would only be good for ONE seat in the house (OK one area HAHA), everywhere else would really be messed up.  Tons of combfiltering, that is worse than the combfiltering you get with all of the boxes in a line array having the signal arrive to them at the same time.

There is no way to get most of the seats to all have the same arrival time with a line array.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 05:29:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.