ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What hardware to hang pipe from strut in a small space?  (Read 1554 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
What hardware to hang pipe from strut in a small space?
« on: December 12, 2023, 12:30:17 PM »

I need to hang a 2" pipe for lighting from a piece of Unistrut (open side down, toward pipe) in a space where I need to keep it as tight to ceiling as possible so as to not block an LED screen.

What kind of hardware have you seen/used to accomplish something like this?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Stephen Swaffer

Re: What hardware to hang pipe from strut in a small space?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 01:12:01 PM »

I need to hang a 2" pipe for lighting from a piece of Unistrut (open side down, toward pipe) in a space where I need to keep it as tight to ceiling as possible so as to not block an LED screen.

Why not use a 2" 1 or 2 hole conduit strap with cone nuts?  Not sure how you would get any tighter?
Steve Swaffer

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 01:39:33 PM »

Standard pipe clamps will get your pipe as physically close to the strut channel as possible.  The problem you’re going to run into there is that you probably won’t find pipe clamps with ratings that can be used for rigging.  You also need to consider how much space you’re going to need for getting the light fixture clamps onto the pipe.  If you’re using standard 1 5/8 strut fastened flush to a surface then you’re going to need more than 1 5/8 space for your fixture clamp.

If I was looking to attach pipe to strut for rigging I’d first look at products from the light source.  They make strut adapters.  Strut adapter to mega coupler gets you a system with documented WLL that is built using hardware designed for suspending loads.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 01:52:01 PM »

Standard pipe clamps will get your pipe as physically close to the strut channel as possible.  The problem you’re going to run into there is that you probably won’t find pipe clamps with ratings that can be used for rigging.  You also need to consider how much space you’re going to need for getting the light fixture clamps onto the pipe.  If you’re using standard 1 5/8 strut fastened flush to a surface then you’re going to need more than 1 5/8 space for your fixture clamp.

If I was looking to attach pipe to strut for rigging I’d first look at products from the light source.  They make strut adapters.  Strut adapter to mega coupler gets you a system with documented WLL that is built using hardware designed for suspending loads.

Wow! I never knew the Light Source had so many products!

This looks like it will do what I need to do. Thanks!

https://www.thelightsource.com/products/uni-bolt-for-strut-channels-82
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 09:04:57 PM »

Wow! I never knew the Light Source had so many products!

This looks like it will do what I need to do. Thanks!

https://www.thelightsource.com/products/uni-bolt-for-strut-channels-82

Yes, those are the devices, and yes TLS has a lot of great products!

A few years back, I compared the price of standard 1.5" NPT and clamps, versus strut and connectors like the above.  The overall cost was roughly the same, so we would do one or the other based on how tight to the ceiling we needed the fixtures.  We had some projects where we flush mounted strut to get even tighter, above tile grid to get the lights flush, or semi-recessed to get them nearly invisible.   
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 09:04:57 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.