ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: GX5 amps  (Read 2734 times)

Jaspreet Singh

GX5 amps
« on: December 03, 2023, 12:01:34 AM »

Hi guys, me again...

I have 2 GX5 amps we are going to be installing with 8 QSC AD-S8T speakers.
I want to use 1 XLR out from our sound craft si impact if possible. I drew up a sketch of what I'm going for. Is this way possible or is there another way?
I've been trying to look on line but I see what I'm looking for

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: GX5 amps
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 08:05:19 AM »

Should work just fine.
 Make sure the 1/4" jumpers are TRS
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John Schalk

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 09:23:22 AM »

What you have drawn up is how QSC recommends wiring a single input to the amp to drive both channels (bottom of page 9).  The manual also states that the 1/4" and XLR inputs are "connected internally, and provide feed thru to the other connector" so your plan to cascade the input single to the second amp should also work just fine.

FYI - The manual gives a current draw of 5.8 amps for a GX5 running at 4 ohms stereo with 1/8 program power.  We can round up a bit and call it 12 amps for your two GX5s.  If you have other gear installed in the same location you may want to check on what your total current demands are and consider a second power circuit, if needed.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 11:17:42 AM »

Double check those speakers are set to the 8 ohm setting.
Depending on the program audio content you may want to high pass that audio feed around 80hz.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 11:29:59 AM »

Double check those speakers are set to the 8 ohm setting.
Depending on the program audio content you may want to high pass that audio feed around 80hz.

Always good advice.  How large is the room?  Why 8 speakers?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jaspreet Singh

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 01:14:38 AM »

If you have other gear installed in the same location you may want to check on what your total current demands are and consider a second power circuit, if needed.
I have a si impact and 2 Crown XTI 4000 amps also plugged into the same spot. Im having an electrician run another 20amp circuit to the area so there isnt any worry.

Jaspreet Singh

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 01:25:40 AM »

Always good advice.  How large is the room?  Why 8 speakers?

I originally wanted 4 speakers. The hall is used as a cafeteria but we want to be able to hear what is going on in the main hall over the commotion of people eating and talking. Its roughly a 70x47ish area with 9 ft ceilings. Ive attached a sketch below and picture of the area. I had a tech come out and he said 4 speakers on one side and 4 on one side would be better and i can control the volume better as well

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 04:51:07 AM »

I originally wanted 4 speakers. The hall is used as a cafeteria but we want to be able to hear what is going on in the main hall over the commotion of people eating and talking. Its roughly a 70x47ish area with 9 ft ceilings. Ive attached a sketch below and picture of the area. I had a tech come out and he said 4 speakers on one side and 4 on one side would be better and i can control the volume better as well

Man that's a low ceiling and lots of reflective surfaces.  Serve a lot of bread.

Have you thought of little 4" tabletop speakers?

In any case with so many speakers would seem an ideal 70v application.  We will see what the collective has to say.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023, 09:47:20 AM »

Ive attached a sketch below and picture of the area.

What is the age of that building? The reason I ask is that "mushroom slabs" haven't been built for decades (unless this is a retro thing).

If that is a "vintage" structure, I would be hesitant to drill any anchors into that ceiling without first consulting a Structural Engineer.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 01:07:03 PM »

WOW that room just looks loud! Fill that with a lot of people talking and then trying to get intelligible  audio over that top of that will be a challenge.

A distributed system with smaller speakers that will be closer to the people would work better like good ceiling speakers. But the big question is the installation and mounting options.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 01:07:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.