ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley TH112 amp recommendation  (Read 3766 times)

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
    • Moxley Production Services
Danley TH112 amp recommendation
« on: November 20, 2023, 03:09:52 AM »

I just picked up a Danley TH112.  It's rated by Danley for 400w continuous and 800w program, 8 ohm.  Looking for recommendations for a good sub amp for this.  Thanks.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Danley TH112 amp recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 08:58:50 PM »

I just picked up a Danley TH112.  It's rated by Danley for 400w continuous and 800w program, 8 ohm.  Looking for recommendations for a good sub amp for this.  Thanks.

The Danley amps are an obvious choice.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Danley TH112 amp recommendation-details matter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 07:58:48 AM »

Generally it is recommended to use an amp that is rated from the continuous power to twice the continuous power of a loudspeaker.

Yes there are exceptions, such as having an amp rated from 1/4 continuous to 4x continuous rating, or as low as 1 watt.

Do you need an amp with processing?  Do you want to use manufacturers presets or roll your own?  What is your mains power?  How long are your speaker cable runs and what gauge?  Does size matter?  Does fan noise matter?  Does heat (BTU) matter?  Does airflow direction matter? Does weight matter? Do speaker connectors matter, what about inputs?  Are you looking for continuous output or burst  output peak power?  If burst power, what sort of duty cycle are you looking at? does availablility matter?  What about local service? etc.

It all depends on the specific applications and often there are other things to consider than just simple power rating.

Since you did not provide any details of SPECIFIC usage, you can use an amp from 1 watt to 1600 watts or you might need an amp rated up to 5000-6000 watts.  But 400-800 watts is the general suggestion.

That is the "simple answer", which can often be very wrong for a specific usage.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 12:07:48 PM »

Generally it is recommended to use an amp that is rated from the continuous power to twice the continuous power of a loudspeaker.

Yes there are exceptions, such as having an amp rated from 1/4 continuous to 4x continuous rating, or as low as 1 watt.

Do you need an amp with processing?  Do you want to use manufacturers presets or roll your own?  What is your mains power?  How long are your speaker cable runs and what gauge?  Does size matter?  Does fan noise matter?  Does heat (BTU) matter?  Does airflow direction matter? Does weight matter? Do speaker connectors matter, what about inputs?  Are you looking for continuous output or burst  output peak power?  If burst power, what sort of duty cycle are you looking at? does availablility matter?  What about local service? etc.

It all depends on the specific applications and often there are other things to consider than just simple power rating.

Since you did not provide any details of SPECIFIC usage, you can use an amp from 1 watt to 1600 watts or you might need an amp rated up to 5000-6000 watts.  But 400-800 watts is the general suggestion.

That is the "simple answer", which can often be very wrong for a specific usage.

Thanks Ivan for replying.  I appreciate your knowledge and expertise.  Here are some more specifics and answers to your questions.

This will be for a church, on stage, stage rear center.  Purpose is to add extended bass frequencies on stage area.  Program material will be music tracks.  Type of material is equivalent to rock music.

Yes on an amp with processing.
Manufacturer presets preferred
Mains power is 1200w left and 1200w right, 2400w continuous
Cable run 30' 12 gauge Whirlwind cable
Plenty of space in the rack to mount
Rack is in its own dedicated climate controlled space so fan noise and heat should not be a concern
I don't think airflow will be a concern
Weight is not an issue
Speaker connections not a concern, Speakon, binding post, strip, anything
inputs - XLR would be great, but Phoenix or barrier strip ok also
continuous output

Hope this helps.  If there are more questions, I will do my best to answer correctly.
Thanks again.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 12:26:05 PM »

Thanks Ivan for replying.  I appreciate your knowledge and expertise.  Here are some more specifics and answers to your questions.

This will be for a church, on stage, stage rear center.  Purpose is to add extended bass frequencies on stage area.  Program material will be music tracks.  Type of material is equivalent to rock music.

Mains power is 1200w left and 1200w right, 2400w continuous
Cable run 30' 12 gauge Whirlwind cable
Plenty of space in the rack to mount
Rack is in its own dedicated climate controlled space so fan noise and heat should not be a concern
I don't think airflow will be a concern
Weight is not an issue
Speaker connections not a concern, Speakon, binding post, strip, anything
inputs - XLR would be great, but Phoenix or barrier strip ok also
continuous output

Hope this helps.  If there are more questions, I will do my best to answer correctly.
Thanks again.

What kind of mains?

I don't think you will find that to be enough sub.  Do you have any processing power available in your board or downstream?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 02:56:12 PM »

That pretty much limits the choice to the manufacturers amp that has presets or you can enter presets into it
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 03:21:19 PM »

That pretty much limits the choice to the manufacturers amp that has presets or you can enter presets into it

Sorry, I misunderstood.  My fault.
As long as I know the recommended settings to enter into the DSP, I can enter those in.

Thanks

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2023, 03:52:42 PM »

What kind of mains?

I don't think you will find that to be enough sub.  Do you have any processing power available in your board or downstream?

Thanks Scott for taking the time to respond.

There are 2 mains and 1 sub per side.  The mains are JBL point source installed speakers and I do not recall the model number.  They are a 12" box that we are sending 600w continuous to, so 1200w each side.  The subs are a JBL SRX728 double 18 each side.  Both the mains and the subs are powered by QSC PLD amps which have DSP processing.  One PLD for the mains and one PLD for the subs.  The subs are configured left and right of the stage on the floor.  I wish I could center cluster, but not possible with our current setup.  We have plenty of sub bass in the sanctuary but there is a large void/dead spot on the stage.  My hope was the TH112 would take care of the void.  I was planning on putting the TH112 on a separate aux so I would have independent control from the mains subs.  We are running an Allen Heath SQ7 at FOH.  Maybe I'm approaching this incorrectly but this is the only option I could come up with.  I am unable to move our current subs.  The small footprint of the TH112 was a consideration for this purpose.  Maybe you can suggest a better option than the one I have laid out.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 03:55:00 PM by LeVan Moxley »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2023, 04:55:27 PM »

Sorry, I misunderstood.  My fault.
As long as I know the recommended settings to enter into the DSP, I can enter those in.

Thanks
While we would love to believe that would happen (simply entering numbers into the program), it is NOT the case.

There can be HUGE differences between different DSPs using the same numbers.

I have seen xover freq be an octave different, Filter widths be twice or half of other filters, and limiter power be off by a factor of two.

That is why it is important to use the recommended amplifiers with the presets for that particular amplifier.

Unless you can verify how good the settings are, the performance could be off-a little or a lot, or be dead nuts on.

Sadly this is a common problem in our industry and has been widely documented.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2023, 05:27:04 PM »

Amps and watts aside, I could see where adding another sub on the stage for some stage "feel" may not be the great for the main house mix by rolling more low frequency into the room and most likely way out of phase / time with the main system.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2023, 05:27:04 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.