ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor venue question.  (Read 1571 times)

Al Rettich

Outdoor venue question.
« on: November 13, 2023, 09:48:17 AM »

I do quite a bit with a company who's in the process of building their own amphitheater. The designer is telling them they HAVE to have "bird mesh" under the rigging steel. My contact said the designer checked with amphitheaters in Atlanta, Nashville, St. Louis, and Phoenix and they all had bird mesh. If this is true, how the hell do they rig anything?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Outdoor venue question.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 01:58:21 PM »

I do quite a bit with a company who's in the process of building their own amphitheater. The designer is telling them they HAVE to have "bird mesh" under the rigging steel. My contact said the designer checked with amphitheaters in Atlanta, Nashville, St. Louis, and Phoenix and they all had bird mesh. If this is true, how the hell do they rig anything?

If by “bird mesh” you mean a tension grid, it’s pretty common. The tension grid has a 3-4 inch cable spacing that is easy to pass a chain and hook through while allowing the riggers to walk to anywhere they need a point. Often the facilities own their own motors and rig them motor up for a very clean looking system. Most lighting can also go above the grid.

Mac

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 03:49:53 PM »

If by “bird mesh” you mean a tension grid, it’s pretty common. The tension grid has a 3-4 inch cable spacing that is easy to pass a chain and hook through while allowing the riggers to walk to anywhere they need a point. Often the facilities own their own motors and rig them motor up for a very clean looking system. Most lighting can also go above the grid.

Mac
Bring Snowshoes?  ::)
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 03:57:53 PM »

Like this, I suppose. Saw this in a documentary about the Royal Albert Hall some time ago but did not realize what its industry name was:

https://skydeckgrid.com/skydeck-tension-grid/

Would not be my cup of tea to walk around on that  :D. First, I'm considerably heavier now than I was at 20, and second, I'm well past the age where you realize that "yes", you can actually die by taking foolish risks  ;D.

I guess it really is safe, but damn it just looks unnerving to have a porous floor like that!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 04:07:19 PM by Bill Meeks »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 04:46:18 PM »

Like this, I suppose. Saw this in a documentary about the Royal Albert Hall some time ago but did not realize what its industry name was:

https://skydeckgrid.com/skydeck-tension-grid/

Would not be my cup of tea to walk around on that  :D. First, I'm considerably heavier now than I was at 20, and second, I'm well past the age where you realize that "yes", you can actually die by taking foolish risks  ;D.

I guess it really is safe, but damn it just looks unnerving to have a porous floor like that!

Yes, it is un-nerving. I don’t know the rated load of the grid sections, but it’s enough for a few riggers and what they are carrying. I’m afraid of heights so I found it very hard to go out on the grid, but I did it.

Mac

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 04:53:17 PM »

It's definitely MUCH safer than having an open space under the grid. First, it prevents people from falling through, and secondly, it prevents things like lights from falling.  The nice thing is lights can shine through with little issue.

I've seen similar stuff installed in theater catwalks that doesn't get walked on. That's there primarily to prevent objects from falling.
Brian Jojade

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 10:08:47 PM »

Yes, it is un-nerving. I don’t know the rated load of the grid sections, but it’s enough for a few riggers and what they are carrying. I’m afraid of heights so I found it very hard to go out on the grid, but I did it.

Mac

We've got a tension grid in our small theatre, only about 25' to the deck but still unnerving at first. You get used to it pretty fast, and sure beats pushing around a lift.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 12:15:49 PM »

This whole video on the Royal Albert Hall is interesting, but this link starts where they start talking about the tension grid:

https://youtu.be/q3LuZeekVX4?si=Q7hYvDprvOtHE1uj&t=97
This space for rent

Brad Harris

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 12:46:33 PM »

This whole video on the Royal Albert Hall is interesting, but this link starts where they start talking about the tension grid:

https://youtu.be/q3LuZeekVX4?si=Q7hYvDprvOtHE1uj&t=97

That brings back memories of 25ish (yeeashhh!) years ago at the Princes of Wales theatre, but after the first person bounced, I was the one bouncing 🤣

Brad

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2023, 07:34:18 PM »

They may actually be talking about mesh to keep birds out.  Around here there are several metal canopies over stages that have a nylon mesh that looks similar to chain link fencing but is made from monofilament plastic.  These canopies have steel "R" panel roofing over I-beams with "C" and "Z" purlins on 5' centers. Birds will roost and build nests on the I-beams and in the purlins.  Bird droppings under the roof are the result.  Attaching beam clamps to the I-beams or using span sets over the beams entails cutting through the mesh . . . which leaves a hole the birds can get through.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2023, 07:34:18 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.