ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Correct wire size L 14/30  (Read 3583 times)

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
Correct wire size L 14/30
« on: October 25, 2023, 08:28:19 AM »

Title says it all. Running an amp rack with two PL 380 and two Crown 12000 HD. Thats all it will ever be used for. I have a 100 ft of 10g. Do I need bigger?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Correct wire size L 14/30
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 12:15:30 PM »

Title says it all. Running an amp rack with two PL 380 and two Crown 12000 HD. Thats all it will ever be used for. I have a 100 ft of 10g. Do I need bigger?
Are you intending to keep the length 100 ft?  If so, the potential load from those amplifiers is sufficient that I'd up-size to at least #8 and run the ITechs @240V.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 03:51:04 PM »

Are you intending to keep the length 100 ft?  If so, the potential load from those amplifiers is sufficient that I'd up-size to at least #8 and run the ITechs @240V.

I was hoping to do one 75 and one 25 with the wire I have. Most stages/ show we do that would do both sides. But if you think 8 would be better I'm off to the market

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 06:34:03 PM »

Everyone I know just uses 10ga for 30A circuits under 100'.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2023, 08:20:21 PM »

8AWG is what you need for a 30A circuit with 3 current-carrying conductors.  10AWG is acceptable for 2 current-carrying conductors.  If you connect that L14-30 to 2 legs of a 3-phase supply, the neutral is considered current-carrying, and even if you're fed from a split-phase supply, supplying nonlinear loads (of which switching power supplies are an example) also causes the neutral to be considered a current-carrying conductor.  Which is a long way of saying that 8AWG would be the appropriate wire size for this application.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 03:56:11 AM »

I was hoping to do one 75 and one 25 with the wire I have. Most stages/ show we do that would do both sides. But if you think 8 would be better I'm off to the market

Yes, #8 is correct, SOOW.  You will need lots of pennies in your pocket the stuff is around $4.00 a foot where I live in Cleveland OH.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Crump

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 12:08:59 PM »

Look on Amazon at cords that are already assembled. I bought a 100' 6-4 with 50A C type connectors for less than $400.00, which with connectors was a killer price at the time. It is sold by Southwire. I have a couple different adapters for different receptacles to cover different venues. This way I am always covered. Or at least so far so good.

Southwire 19190008 6/3 & 8/1 SEOW

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 05:13:39 PM »

Look on Amazon at cords that are already assembled. I bought a 100' 6-4 with 50A C type connectors for less than $400.00, which with connectors was a killer price at the time. It is sold by Southwire. I have a couple different adapters for different receptacles to cover different venues. This way I am always covered. Or at least so far so good.

Southwire 19190008 6/3 & 8/1 SEOW
Is the SEOW a typo?  That is not a bargain if it is not SOOW. SOOW is just a bit about the $4 a foot range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Crump

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 06:32:38 PM »

Is the SEOW a typo?  That is not a bargain if it is not SOOW. SOOW is just a bit about the $4 a foot range.

It is SEOOW. At that time I bought it was $4.50 per foot plus buying the connectors and having to install. To buy pre-assembled for $379.00 was a better deal for me. Actually it may have been a little more per foot when I ask for a quote, it has been several months. I just remember for me to buy the 100' of cable without connectors was more than buying a cord completed.

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/blog/difference-between-soow-sjoow-portable-cord/?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwnOipBhBQEiwACyGLuiIlgiG946AGgEYZ0IJSZnhRG1KL2E1KRM9SJvPgResdmlfnLc4y-hoCA_wQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 06:58:58 PM by Steve Crump »

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 09:10:15 PM »

It is SEOOW. At that time I bought it was $4.50 per foot plus buying the connectors and having to install. To buy pre-assembled for $379.00 was a better deal for me. Actually it may have been a little more per foot when I ask for a quote, it has been several months. I just remember for me to buy the 100' of cable without connectors was more than buying a cord completed.

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/blog/difference-between-soow-sjoow-portable-cord/?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwnOipBhBQEiwACyGLuiIlgiG946AGgEYZ0IJSZnhRG1KL2E1KRM9SJvPgResdmlfnLc4y-hoCA_wQAvD_BwE
The issue is SE is less than 1/2 the price of SO.  To me it feels the same as SJ even though some of the properties are superior to SO. 

Plastic cable just doesn’t belong on a stage.  It doesn’t sit flat and sure doesn’t roll correctly. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 09:10:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.