ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New front wash lights  (Read 1896 times)

Travis Retrum

New front wash lights
« on: September 05, 2023, 02:26:25 PM »

Hey everyone,
I currently use 8 ADJ tri7xs for front wash lights. (4 per side on stands) and they just don't have the intensity or distance I'm looking for. I run local rock shows mostly and on larger stages they need to be maxed out and even then, they are lacking. When they are only 3 feet from a subject, they seem to do somewhat ok, but distance is a problem and they become more like a spot. I'd like to upgrade to something better and ideally would like something I can run 2 per side that will give me what I'm looking for. I'd like to spend no more than 500 per light. What suggestions do you have?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: New front wash lights
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 02:51:40 PM »

Hey everyone,
I currently use 8 ADJ tri7xs for front wash lights. (4 per side on stands) and they just don't have the intensity or distance I'm looking for. I run local rock shows mostly and on larger stages they need to be maxed out and even then, they are lacking. When they are only 3 feet from a subject, they seem to do somewhat ok, but distance is a problem and they become more like a spot. I'd like to upgrade to something better and ideally would like something I can run 2 per side that will give me what I'm looking for. I'd like to spend no more than 500 per light. What suggestions do you have?
Old school par cans bud. Bright, cheap, hot, take a lot of power. But they are bright...

Any led fixture that is a full color light (rgb leds) will never be as bright as a dedicated "white" led even if that white is a variable temp version of the same light as the full color ones.

What you can do is shop for older tour grade lights like the Colorado RGB's or similar and just live with the fact that they are only rgb, and not rgbawluv and several more ridiculous colors. These older "big boy" lights are pretty bright and have a better wash than most of what you find in guitar center.

The other choice is to buy 2-4 actual white lights and put them on the tripods along side the full color lights. Chauvet DJ has the EVE line that seems to use the same white led engine that their more expensive Ovation line uses. The EVE P100WW is a basic white led par that looks fantastic and is quite bright. I think bright enough for any stage where you'd be using tripods to light the band....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 03:29:29 PM »

21watts is not very powerful. I've used these on several installs and they are very impressive for the $$.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=612749&gclid=CjwKCAjwi6TYBRAYEiwAOeH7GVE1DOCa2NsnNDGG-2Yr2bdOl0267kDsG-PWCmH6haFtgkkaD-0WHBoCvIkQAvD_BwE
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 03:56:41 PM »

21watts is not very powerful. I've used these on several installs and they are very impressive for the $$.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=612749&gclid=CjwKCAjwi6TYBRAYEiwAOeH7GVE1DOCa2NsnNDGG-2Yr2bdOl0267kDsG-PWCmH6haFtgkkaD-0WHBoCvIkQAvD_BwE
These seem almost identical to the Parts Express Talent PAR910 fixtures, to include the horribly loud fan noise. You can see my (Scott H) review, interior photos, and solution to the fan noise question on the Parts Express site. That said, they are for the money very bright and the Talent version has a 5-year warranty!
Scott Hofmann

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 08:30:56 PM »

I'd like to upgrade to something better and ideally would like something I can run 2 per side that will give me what I'm looking for.

Do you need/want color or just white?

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 01:23:43 PM »

I purchased these in January and have been happy with them so far. A few members on here have also purchased them
https://www.shehds.com/products/aluminum-alloy-led-flat-par-18x18w-lighting-dj-par-cans-dmx-512-light-wash-stage-lighting

Have a read through here as well
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,178220.0.html

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 08:05:55 PM »

... and on larger stages they need to be maxed out and even then, they are lacking ...

Before making any recommendations and my usual point of avoiding direct-import fixtures, how large is large?  Are you lighting a few stage decks or an entire stadium?

John Schalk

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 09:44:25 AM »

I purchased these in January and have been happy with them so far. A few members on here have also purchased them
https://www.shehds.com/products/aluminum-alloy-led-flat-par-18x18w-lighting-dj-par-cans-dmx-512-light-wash-stage-lighting

Have a read through here as well
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,178220.0.html
If I was in the market for front lights again, I would seriously consider paying more for an IP65 rated fixture.  I paid $165 to replace one of my Blizzard LP Par Quad fixtures after a hard rain let the magic smoke out of one of my front lights at a show this summer. 

https://www.shehds.com/products/shedhs-led-18x18w-6in1-rgbwauv-ip65-waterproof-aluminum-alloy-par-light-outdoor-dmx-control-dj-stage-light-equipment-effect

With respect to covering larger stages, are you familiar with the lighting term "beam angle"?  If not, you might do some research on it because it is definitely one of the specifications that you will want to pay attention to when you're shopping for LED par cans.  A non-IP65 rated fixture that may meet your needs is the Chauvet SlimPAR Pro H.  It is one of the brightest "DJ" level par cans that I found when I was researching what to buy.

https://www.chauvetdj.com/products/slimpar-pro-h-usb/

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 07:48:35 PM »

I have 6 Blizzard RokBox EXA left in my production gear that I have been meaning to post in the marketplace. They are the best front wash LEDs that I have experience with.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2023, 09:20:18 AM »

I have 6 Blizzard RokBox EXA left in my production gear that I have been meaning to post in the marketplace. They are the best front wash LEDs that I have experience with.

Can confirm these are pretty good lights for their size/weight.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2023, 09:20:18 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.