ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 DUAL EQ INSERT DILEMMA  (Read 2458 times)

Dave Manini

X32 DUAL EQ INSERT DILEMMA
« on: August 07, 2023, 12:45:05 PM »

It's unclear if it's possible to utilize the 31Band Tru EQ with individual channels.  The View indicates L/R in position #8 and the upper left shows the channel selected.  I can move the group (block) from left to right and adjust each frequency but it has no processing effect in the Mains Output. The Owners Manual doesn't show the page of interest. The Main Panel EQ adjustments are maxed out(minimum on four bands) and there is still some ringing. Source mic is a headworn uni-directional. Room is highly reflective. Had a Allen&Heath ZED-428 analog previously with about the same level of success. Figured I should be able to notch out the 'offenders' if I could utilize the EQ Insert.  Our team is highly negative on utilizing the Gate to at least assist the feedback issue which I felt would help given it's the only live mic.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: X32 DUAL EQ INSERT DILEMMA
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 04:12:56 PM »

It's unclear if it's possible to utilize the 31Band Tru EQ with individual channels.  The View indicates L/R in position #8 and the upper left shows the channel selected.  I can move the group (block) from left to right and adjust each frequency but it has no processing effect in the Mains Output. The Owners Manual doesn't show the page of interest. The Main Panel EQ adjustments are maxed out(minimum on four bands) and there is still some ringing. Source mic is a headworn uni-directional. Room is highly reflective. Had a Allen&Heath ZED-428 analog previously with about the same level of success. Figured I should be able to notch out the 'offenders' if I could utilize the EQ Insert.  Our team is highly negative on utilizing the Gate to at least assist the feedback issue which I felt would help given it's the only live mic.

All 8 of the effects (or, to be more specific, all 16 halves of the 8 effects) on the X32 can be inserted onto individual channels either post-gate or pre-fader. If the effect you've inserted doesn't appear to be doing anything, the first thing I'd check is to make sure insert point is actually enabled in the channel configuration (disabled is the default). (Incidentally, it's a lot easier to troubleshoot X32 routing issues if you post a copy of your show file or scene since it takes a lot of the guess work out.)

IMHO, outside of some very specific circumstances I'd avoid using a gate for feedback control on a head-worn microphone, since the feedback is just as capable of keeping the gate open as the source material, and the nature of that feedback will change significantly depending on where the microphone is (so even things like key filters won't really be much help). Also, unless it's one of the big Garth Brooks-style headsets, is there a reason you're using a direction microphone?

-Russ

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 11:41:48 PM »

Do not keep just chopping away with more and more EQ points chasing feedback, the EQ will just turn into a signal attenuator. What is the overall system.

Gates are not for general feedback control and will almost always cause issues trying to use them on vocal mics, you will be chasing after the magic threshold and never find it.

There must have been some article posted somewhere about using gates to stop feedback, it seems there have been a lot of post about trying to use gates on vocal mics and I have had people asking me about it.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 01:35:28 PM »

If you are having to do all that work trying to chase feedback
 it sounds more like a monitor /main speaker  tuning /placement problem
that cannot be cured by hacking up the mic channel.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 05:16:37 PM »

{...} There must have been some article posted somewhere about using gates to stop feedback, it seems there have been a lot of post about trying to use gates on vocal mics and I have had people asking me about it.

Huh, that's definitely curious. I mean, there are definitely dynamics-based things you can do to increase GBF (with the Neve Primary Source Enhancer being perhaps the best-known example), but I'm fairly certain those are typically expander-based instead of gate-based.

-Russ

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 08:43:09 PM »

Huh, that's definitely curious. I mean, there are definitely dynamics-based things you can do to increase GBF (with the Neve Primary Source Enhancer being perhaps the best-known example), but I'm fairly certain those are typically expander-based instead of gate-based.

-Russ

Always wanted to try one of the Neve units, I think it is a trick expander based processor.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 09:47:28 PM »

Always wanted to try one of the Neve units, I think it is a trick expander based processor.

Me too; it seems like every time I sit down at a CL5 I inevitably run out of time.

I know there are a couple of similar (knock-off?) options available out there (e.g. Waves' Primary Source Expander, a name I'm sure the Neve folks are absolutely thrilled about), but I haven't heard too much about them one way or another (especially not to the extent of the effusive praise for the original).

-Russ

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2023, 12:04:28 PM »

The Primary Source Enhancer combined with the dynamic EQ plug ins on the CL/QL consoles are the all tricks all the time ponies for lectern mics. Better clarity with the enhancer, reduced pppoping with a dynamic LF notch and reduced sibilance with dynamic HF notching with the EQ. I've used them for a variety of corporate events including POTUS blue goose set ups. Not something I've tried with vocal mics as there is an edge to the enhancer plug-in that might be unpleasant for singing. It's not an overt spectral edge like a plain old upper mid boost, whatever it is it's subtle but apparent but in a beneficial way for spoken word. It's not a solution for adding GBF however. You really need to round up the usual suspects on that problem.

Me too; it seems like every time I sit down at a CL5 I inevitably run out of time.

I know there are a couple of similar (knock-off?) options available out there (e.g. Waves' Primary Source Expander, a name I'm sure the Neve folks are absolutely thrilled about), but I haven't heard too much about them one way or another (especially not to the extent of the effusive praise for the original).

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2023, 12:44:54 PM »

The Primary Source Enhancer combined with the dynamic EQ plug ins on the CL/QL consoles are the all tricks all the time ponies for lectern mics. Better clarity with the enhancer, reduced pppoping with a dynamic LF notch and reduced sibilance with dynamic HF notching with the EQ. I've used them for a variety of corporate events including POTUS blue goose set ups. Not something I've tried with vocal mics as there is an edge to the enhancer plug-in that might be unpleasant for singing. It's not an overt spectral edge like a plain old upper mid boost, whatever it is it's subtle but apparent but in a beneficial way for spoken word. It's not a solution for adding GBF however. You really need to round up the usual suspects on that problem.

The text in bold is what Dave M is having problems with.  There are 2 or more bad practices in play and figuring it all out via text on a forum is... time consuming.  I wonder if we have a LABster somewhere close to him that could offer a site visit and offer some advice.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2023, 04:06:36 PM »

{...} Not something I've tried with vocal mics as there is an edge to the enhancer plug-in that might be unpleasant for singing. {...}

FWIW, I seem to recall that the 2019 Pentatonix tour was using a PSE on every channel.

{...} It's not a solution for adding GBF however. {...}

Huh, that's interesting to hear, especially since GBF improvement is supposedly one of biggest selling-points of the unit (the Neve marketing department claims up to a 20 dB increase in GBF). I take it that isn't your experience?

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2023, 04:06:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.