ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cat6 Cable with 300+ volt insulation?  (Read 2209 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Cat6 Cable with 300+ volt insulation?
« on: July 26, 2023, 12:12:41 PM »

I am wondering if there is a Cat6 cable with insulation so it can share a raceway with a 120v ac circuit?
I only have a single 3/4" pic run out to where my generator is located and I would like to have a convenience outlet and an AP.

thanks
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Re: Cat6 Cable with 300+ volt insulation?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 12:29:45 PM »

I am wondering if there is a Cat6 cable with insulation so it can share a raceway with a 120v ac circuit?
I only have a single 3/4" pic run out to where my generator is located and I would like to have a convenience outlet and an AP.

thanks
Wouldn't STP be sufficient as long as at least one end of the shield is adequately grounded?  Asking more than stating.
..db

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 09:13:00 PM »

Wouldn't STP be sufficient as long as at least one end of the shield is adequately grounded?  Asking more than stating.

Code requires that all all wires in the same box or conduit have the same insulation rating.

For Rob:  consider CAT cable rated for direct burial.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 09:58:24 AM »

Thanks Tim. I will look for that.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 09:18:53 PM »

Thanks Tim. I will look for that.

And, of course, bury it somewhere close to the conduit...

Most of the DB-rate CAT cable is copper clad aluminum with up-coated jacket and other physical enhancements.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 03:14:39 PM »

Do you care if you're code compliant?  There may be some exceptions and procedures that would allow you to have both in the same conduit, but for the most part, the easy answer is no, they can't coexist.

If you don't care, then pulling your cat 6 though the same conduit should be fine.

Best solution is put in another raceway. 2nd best solution, direct bury cat cable.  Easiest solution, pull the cat cable through the existing raceway.

Worst solution, use CCA wire.  That is just a nightmare waiting to happen, and isn't certified for use on Ethernet. It MIGHT work, but so might other poor quality wire.
Brian Jojade

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023, 09:50:09 PM »

thanks

It's been decades since I pulled any wire.  Just for awareness, back in the day the NEC didn't allow low voltage to share a raceway with branch circuits.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023, 09:50:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.