ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DC resistance of a P Audio SD18  (Read 514 times)

Christopher Greco

DC resistance of a P Audio SD18
« on: July 02, 2023, 11:09:52 AM »

I have 8 of these drivers in 4 2x18 front loaded cabinets and the DC resistance when measured with a Fluke multimeter reads 3.2 ohms or less. I have measured plenty of speakers and expect to see a slightly lower dc resistance reading as compared to what the rated impedance which typically appears on a label somewhere on the driver.

This particular driver has an 8 ohm label on the back. I am wondering if possibly these were reconed to a lower impedance or is the resistance measurement indicative of a possible problem with the voice coils on these drivers. All 8 drivers measure in the same range give or take an ohm or two.

Just FYI they all sound fine and I have other 18" drivers in my shop (jbl, meyer) which exhibit normal dc measurement characteristics when checked in this manner.

And just in case you were going to say "are u sure they aren't paralleled internally in the cabinet?" Each driver is isolated to a pair on the NL4 connector.

Thoughts?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: DC resistance of a P Audio SD18
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 01:50:30 PM »

http://paudio.co.uk/pdf/SD18_1700N.pdf

I think you might send an email to P Audio.  You shouldn't see more than about 0.5 Ohm difference in DC resistance.

Can you do an impedance test?  I miss having ITech amplifiers, where the amp would display load impedance...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: DC resistance of a P Audio SD18
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 01:50:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.