ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: TT 30 P question. No neutral - 60 volts each leg  (Read 4391 times)

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
TT 30 P question. No neutral - 60 volts each leg
« on: June 25, 2023, 11:39:01 AM »

Yesterday we found a TT 30p on the side of a house where we were providing audio . Homeowner says its what they've used before. They have it adapted down to Edison so I plug in a tester. No neutral. Further inspection show 60 volts from each blade to ground  Measuring across the two blades gave 120 volts..How did this happen? I can't recall seeing 60 volts before..? We abandoned this and found grounded/correct circuits and pulled from them..Thanks for your time!!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: TT 30 P question. No neutral - 60 volts each leg
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 12:08:28 PM »

Yesterday we found a TT 30p on the side of a house where we were providing audio . Homeowner says its what they've used before. They have it adapted down to Edison so I plug in a tester. No neutral. Further inspection show 60 volts from each blade to ground  Measuring across the two blades gave 120 volts..How did this happen? I can't recall seeing 60 volts before..? We abandoned this and found grounded/correct circuits and pulled from them..Thanks for your time!!

Look up "Balanced Power." I've seen it used in studios and lab's where electrical "noise" has been a "problem.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 01:24:40 PM »

Never seen balanced power on an RV TT30.  The connector is listed for 120v 30 amp service with a neutral and ground.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 01:37:16 PM »

Abandoning it was probably the right decision.

If you used a DVM (high input impedance) and the ground wire was not actually connected at the panel end, you might measure roughly 60V on each of the other two wires.  The long wire would create a capacitive voltage divider, with the "ground" wire floating up to 60V.

GTD

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 02:00:15 PM »

I've seen 60+60 on a number of gensets i.e., Honda EU1000i, and some larger Hondas on portable stage rigs, and have used them without issue. 

I cannot comment on your particular situation.

frank

Steve Crump

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 02:25:43 PM »

Not seeing the install or understanding how it is connected up the line, I would say this house has a grounding issue. Usually, you see this when a transformer is part of the circuit and has not been properly bonded. 

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 02:55:24 PM »

The obvious question is what is your ground 0V reference for making those measurements? I've seen roughly 1/2 voltage measured wrt a floating ground.

Can the edison outlet support a drop light with one lamp?

What did you use for an outlet tester? The highest likelihood is that you see 120VAC between line and neutral.

Slowly back away... maybe tell the homeowner to wire in a GFCI edison outlet if he must.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 03:29:33 PM »

The obvious question is what is your ground 0V reference for making those measurements? I've seen roughly 1/2 voltage measured wrt a floating ground.

Can the edison outlet support a drop light with one lamp?

What did you use for an outlet tester? The highest likelihood is that you see 120VAC between line and neutral.

Slowly back away... maybe tell the homeowner to wire in a GFCI edison outlet if he must.

JR

I have the male Edison plugs with the red/green lights. While I know they're not perfect but when I see red I go looking for something wrong. Went and got the meter and found 60v to ground on each leg. I'm not an electrician so that's all I know to do. I knew once I saw the 60 v I wasn't using it
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 03:38:19 PM by Kemper Watson »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 04:03:31 PM »

I have the male Edison plugs with the red/green lights. While I know they're not perfect but when I see red I go looking for something wrong. Went and got the meter and found 60v to ground on each leg. I'm not an electrician so that's all I know to do. I knew once I saw the 60 v I wasn't using it
This is probably TMI but those three lamp testers are not very accurate. In fact they can report a good outlet that isn't.

If they report a bad outlet, it usually is bad.

http://johnhroberts.com/OD1.htm

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 10:57:27 PM »

This is probably TMI but those three lamp testers are not very accurate. In fact they can report a good outlet that isn't.

If they report a bad outlet, it usually is bad.

http://johnhroberts.com/OD1.htm

JR
Sure do wish someone could make this tester a reality…

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 10:57:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 23 queries.