ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Diadem Microphone Shure SM35  (Read 2595 times)

Oscar Perez

Diadem Microphone Shure SM35
« on: May 09, 2023, 05:30:11 AM »

Hi all,
I play guitar and sing and I find it difficult to change my pedals whilst singing so I've purchased a diadem microphone, first a Shure WH20-XLT (dynamic) but in the rehearsal room it sucks cause you have to keep the volume down otherwise it feeds back in the PA system. I understand the issue is due to the low output level. (-67dB) Then I changed to Shure SM35 XLR. Condenser, output level -59dB. I thought that would do the trick. But no, it still requires to keep at low volume (so I can't hear my self well) to avoid feedback.
The comparison with a normal microphone Shure SM58 is huge. I mean, we can hear the choir singers much higher and better than with my SM35.
Besides, the SM35, even though doubles the price of the WH20, is much more uncomfortable and it has mini-XLR, which sucks too (very fragile thin cable)
I miss a mute button. That'd be handy.

Could I get advise on a diadem microphone with a similar performance of an SM58 please?

Thanks very much.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Diadem Microphone Shure SM35
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 08:23:43 AM »

Hi all,
I play guitar and sing and I find it difficult to change my pedals whilst singing so I've purchased a diadem microphone,

Please go to your profile and change your name to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac
admin

Oscar Perez

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 01:42:23 PM »

Please go to your profile and change your name to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac
admin

Done. Thanks

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 06:25:31 PM »

What you need to do is stop spending money on gear and invest in a quality sound person.

If you can't get it done with an SM35, then no other mic out there is going to make it better. You have a setup problem, not a microphone problem.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 12:15:31 AM »

Hi all,
I play guitar and sing and I find it difficult to change my pedals whilst singing so I've purchased a diadem microphone, first a Shure WH20-XLT (dynamic) but in the rehearsal room it sucks cause you have to keep the volume down otherwise it feeds back in the PA system. I understand the issue is due to the low output level. (-67dB) Then I changed to Shure SM35 XLR. Condenser, output level -59dB. I thought that would do the trick. But no, it still requires to keep at low volume (so I can't hear my self well) to avoid feedback.
The comparison with a normal microphone Shure SM58 is huge. I mean, we can hear the choir singers much higher and better than with my SM35.
Besides, the SM35, even though doubles the price of the WH20, is much more uncomfortable and it has mini-XLR, which sucks too (very fragile thin cable)
I miss a mute button. That'd be handy.

Could I get advise on a diadem microphone with a similar performance of an SM58 please?

Thanks very much.

You trying to hear yourself in the PA or in a monitor?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Oscar Perez

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 03:07:31 AM »

You trying to hear yourself in the PA or in a monitor?

Hi Scott, thanks for your answer.
It's on the rehearsal room, so there's no monitors, only a small PA system facing me. I haven't tried it in a gig yet.
The reason why I think there's something wrong with the mic is because the Shure SM58s that the choir girls are using don't experience this problem, we can turn up the volume to 7-8 for the SM58s, hear them loud and clear and get no feedback, whereas for my SM35 I can only turn it up to 5-6 which places it on the verge of feedback and my voice sounds at a significant lower volume than the 58s.

Hope that clarifies.

Thanks

Oscar

Oscar Perez

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 03:11:59 AM »

What you need to do is stop spending money on gear and invest in a quality sound person.

If you can't get it done with an SM35, then no other mic out there is going to make it better. You have a setup problem, not a microphone problem.

Hi Tim,
thanks for your answer.
I experience this in the rehearsal room, with a very simple mixer and PA system.
The reason why I think there's something wrong with the mic is because the Shure SM58s that the choir girls are using don't experience this problem, we can turn up the volume to 7-8 for the SM58s, hear them loud and clear and get no feedback, whereas for my SM35 I can only turn it up to 5-6 which places it on the verge of feedback and my voice sounds at a significant lower volume than the 58s.

Hope that clarifies.

Thanks

Oscar

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 07:33:54 AM »

Hi Oscar,

I can all but assure you that nothing is wrong with your microphones.  To echo Tim, this is a setup issue.  There are many factors that come into play when evaluating Gain Before Feedback (GBF) - too many to list in a simple reply.  I've been down this road before myself and as Tim mentions, if you're struggling to get good results with what you have then buying yet another microphone won't fix your problem - even a very expensive microphone.  I take it you've already tried to EQ the problematic frequencies?

Oscar Perez

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 09:13:21 AM »

Hi Oscar,

I can all but assure you that nothing is wrong with your microphones.  To echo Tim, this is a setup issue.  There are many factors that come into play when evaluating Gain Before Feedback (GBF) - too many to list in a simple reply.  I've been down this road before myself and as Tim mentions, if you're struggling to get good results with what you have then buying yet another microphone won't fix your problem - even a very expensive microphone.  I take it you've already tried to EQ the problematic frequencies?

OK Jeff,
Thanks for your comment.
OK, I will give it a go with trying to tune it more carefully or even get help there.

Thanks everybody.

Cheers

Oscar

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 12:16:24 PM »

Try a 58 and see if the problem persists. 
Look at the pattern of your mic and make sure the speakers are in the null.
Turn down the speakers.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 12:16:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.