ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: $2K Per box powered 12 inch speakers, SRX812P still best value at this price?  (Read 4811 times)

Travis Retrum

The SRX812P is about $1699 per box. When trying to find the best performing 12 inch powered speaker for around 2K per box my research shows be this is the best option. Alot of the posts I've read are also older and I'm curious if this is still the case or in your opinion is there something better? I'd like to hear your thoughts. The real winner to me is the 3-inch compression driver. 

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

Yamaha DZR12. Will slay the SRX and is cheaper. Get the DZR12D if you want it to have Dante connectivity which is unheard of for this market.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Travis Retrum

Yamaha DZR12. Will slay the SRX and is cheaper. Get the DZR12D if you want it to have Dante connectivity which is unheard of for this market.
Damn I didn’t realize these existed, have you compared them directly? They have a rotatable horn also that’s very cool

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas

Damn I didn’t realize these existed, have you compared them directly? They have a rotatable horn also that’s very cool
Not side by side, but I mix on the DZR's about once a month and have had no issues with them anywhere. Most of the time I run without subs and they do well for the western swing we play. For anything more modern you'd want to add a sub or two, but these things get up and go like nothing else in this price range, yet they have a pretty full bottom end and don't sound neutered when they are by themselves on a pole.

The DSR's that preceded these had almost nothing below about 160hz. The DZR's are much better in that regard.

Also I think the DZR is a great looking cabinet. Very understated with a full grill and minimal logo.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

The SRX812P is about $1699 per box. When trying to find the best performing 12 inch powered speaker for around 2K per box my research shows be this is the best option. Alot of the posts I've read are also older and I'm curious if this is still the case or in your opinion is there something better? I'd like to hear your thoughts. The real winner to me is the 3-inch compression driver.

You need to be talking to Mike Pyle if you are paying that much for that box.   He can also get the yammies for that price.

I agree the DZR's are a great speaker but so is the JBL.  Both require some EQ to sound right but that's to be expected in a 2k box. 

I loved the DSR's when they came out but as noted they have poor low end performance, end up crossing them over higher than I would want and tje subs get localized and cover frequencies that should not be reproduced on the floor. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth

I respectfully disagree.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

Look at RCF, medium and large format HF drivers using lower crossover frequencies.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas

I respectfully disagree.

I still hear the trademark icepick in the forehead out of the SRX when they get loud. The Yamaha's have a much more graceful limiting which is nice and smooth. The Newer SRX stuff is worlds better than the old stuff though.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud

The DSR's that preceded these had almost nothing below about 160hz. The DZR's are much better in that regard.

Are the cabinets still made of explodium? My DSRs have not held together very well.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth

I still hear the trademark icepick in the forehead out of the SRX when they get loud. The Yamaha's have a much more graceful limiting which is nice and smooth. The Newer SRX stuff is worlds better than the old stuff though.

To borrow a quote from Scott Holtzman:  "Both require some EQ to sound right but that's to be expected in a 2k box."

I have $5K boxes that require eq to sound right.  Honestly, that's stating the obvious.

Being the dinosaur I am, going back to passive crossover only systems - I'm used to doing some setup with my rigs.  So, I'll give you the "straight out of the box" win.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.