ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience with the Wolfmix WM1?  (Read 1694 times)

Travis Retrum

Experience with the Wolfmix WM1?
« on: April 18, 2023, 06:55:27 PM »

We currently use a ADJ my DMX go with light rider and have to find another solution. It’s unreliable, crashes at least once every show. We do production for a live rock band and would run sound and lights at the same time. Sometimes we have separate guys to do each sometimes one guy has to do it solo. The Wolfmix looks like an easy device to use and I was wondering what everyone’s experience is with it.

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
Re: Experience with the Wolfmix WM1?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 09:03:13 AM »

We have been using MyDMX Go for a couple years.  It's a great app, but is totally unreliable in a wireless setup.  Go to a wired connection and things will be fine.  No more drop outs and the app is totally stable.

Jonathan Hole

• Sound Resume
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 09:07:14 AM »

We currently use a ADJ my DMX go with light rider and have to find another solution. It’s unreliable, crashes at least once every show. We do production for a live rock band and would run sound and lights at the same time. Sometimes we have separate guys to do each sometimes one guy has to do it solo. The Wolfmix looks like an easy device to use and I was wondering what everyone’s experience is with it.

I provide FOH, lighting, production for a popular regional 80's cover band and for this season I added Wolfmix along with our Lightkey setup as the notion of a tactile real-time show interface and no computer were interesting.  For many outdoor amphitheaters we play there isn't permanent ethercon to FOH (typically a small concrete pad in audience) and running same is difficult due to terracing, so I have perfected mixing via iPad and running lights via Lightkey - connecting to a ethernet router on stage w/ DMX to ethernet interface - same router that our console is connected to for FOH wireless and band IEM mixes. (A&H SQ) Since I've not gotten into external pads with Lightkey and given that I hate leaving my computer in the audience to run back and forth sometimes or preshow, I figured I'd give it a try and honestly was skeptical but found a used Wolfmix on eBay and figured what the heck.

At our first show of this year where we provided production I actually ran the first half of the show (3 hour total show) on Wolfmix and 2nd half on Lightkey and to my surprise I really enjoyed the tactile controls on Wolfmix and quickly got into advanced real time effects, chases, and more - it was quite fun in a way I had not expected.  At first it seemed the interface and many levels and pages would be complicated but once I got into the flow I was flipping pages easily and getting around quite well, and it was fun reacting quickly to the band.  So for now, I'm keeping it in the show for when we provide full production - many of our shows are larger and production is provided.  But we provide up to around 1500 outdoors and I had no problem so far this year running the Wolfmix on wireless DMX along w/ my iPad for FOH - past couple shows I had proper FOH full console position but still ran the Wolfmix on wireless DMX.  It also boots almost instantly which is cool and I bet I have 3 full pages of presets (scenes/looks) programmed at this point.  BTW:  It runs from a USB adapter so easy to use with an external USB battery supply and low power draw. 

For reference, I have 4 movers and 8 pars on the back line, two stands of 4 pars each for front wash and some uprights or longer throw optional if need more front lighting.  Also, when you dig into the menus you'll find options such as decoupling the level of the front par group from the others in your presents so I can set the front wash at a consistent level for the band and not blind them depending on the location, but it still follows blackouts and such. 

The Learn Stage Lighting guy on Youtube recently put up a video (or two) on Wolfmix as it seems to be talked about more as a DJ console but for a small size and the power it has, it's quite interesting for live band.  I'll probably keep it going this year and see if I miss some of the extra power of Lightkey - and/or if I ever get around to programming our Ableton click tracks to Lightkey that may push me back to it. (Wolfmix does not support midi at this time). I think for a run and gun DMX console it's excellent as well.

As you can tell I was very surprised at this little box, blew me away really for the $ and so figured I'd give you a long reply w/ my thoughts!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 10:42:18 AM by Jonathan Hole »

John Schalk

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 10:49:24 AM »

The Learn Stage Lighting guy on Youtube recently put up a video (or two) on Wolfmix as it seems to be talked about more as a DJ console but for a small size and the power it has, it's quite interesting for live band. 
I really like his videos.  I watched his series on DMXIS which was installed at a club where I was mixing.  I'd consider getting that software except it's not supported any longer.

As you can tell I was very surprised at this little box, blew me away really for the $ and so figured I'd give you a long reply w/ my thoughts!
Is there anyway to backup the WMX1's settings once you have it programmed?  Nice summary of this little console, by the way.  Your lighting setup is pretty close to what I suspect a lot of us "lounge lizards" are running :)

Travis Retrum

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 01:08:34 PM »

I provide FOH, lighting, production for a popular regional 80's cover band and for this season I added Wolfmix along with our Lightkey setup as the notion of a tactile real-time show interface and no computer were interesting.  For many outdoor amphitheaters we play there isn't permanent ethercon to FOH (typically a small concrete pad in audience) and running same is difficult due to terracing, so I have perfected mixing via iPad and running lights via Lightkey - connecting to a ethernet router on stage w/ DMX to ethernet interface - same router that our console is connected to for FOH wireless and band IEM mixes. (A&H SQ) Since I've not gotten into external pads with Lightkey and given that I hate leaving my computer in the audience to run back and forth sometimes or preshow, I figured I'd give it a try and honestly was skeptical but found a used Wolfmix on eBay and figured what the heck.

At our first show of this year where we provided production I actually ran the first half of the show (3 hour total show) on Wolfmix and 2nd half on Lightkey and to my surprise I really enjoyed the tactile controls on Wolfmix and quickly got into advanced real time effects, chases, and more - it was quite fun in a way I had not expected.  At first it seemed the interface and many levels and pages would be complicated but once I got into the flow I was flipping pages easily and getting around quite well, and it was fun reacting quickly to the band.  So for now, I'm keeping it in the show for when we provide full production - many of our shows are larger and production is provided.  But we provide up to around 1500 outdoors and I had no problem so far this year running the Wolfmix on wireless DMX along w/ my iPad for FOH - past couple shows I had proper FOH full console position but still ran the Wolfmix on wireless DMX.  It also boots almost instantly which is cool and I bet I have 3 full pages of presets (scenes/looks) programmed at this point.  BTW:  It runs from a USB adapter so easy to use with an external USB battery supply and low power draw. 

For reference, I have 4 movers and 8 pars on the back line, two stands of 4 pars each for front wash and some uprights or longer throw optional if need more front lighting.  Also, when you dig into the menus you'll find options such as decoupling the level of the front par group from the others in your presents so I can set the front wash at a consistent level for the band and not blind them depending on the location, but it still follows blackouts and such. 

The Learn Stage Lighting guy on Youtube recently put up a video (or two) on Wolfmix as it seems to be talked about more as a DJ console but for a small size and the power it has, it's quite interesting for live band.  I'll probably keep it going this year and see if I miss some of the extra power of Lightkey - and/or if I ever get around to programming our Ableton click tracks to Lightkey that may push me back to it. (Wolfmix does not support midi at this time). I think for a run and gun DMX console it's excellent as well.

Awesome info and great to hear. Im gonna check out the videos on learn stage lighting

JohnPinchin

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 01:07:29 PM »

I use the wolfmix for a lot of gigs.  It replaced the mydmxgo I was having problems with - even when connected by cable instead of wifi. 
The wolfmix is easy to use and very intuitive. I routinely find myself doing live edits bringing in out out groups of lights and changing patterns on the movers and pars to match the song, far more than any of the previous lighting controllers I’ve had.   Great box and one of my best purchases.   

Jonathan Hole

• Sound Resume
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 01:57:52 PM »

I really like his videos.  I watched his series on DMXIS which was installed at a club where I was mixing.  I'd consider getting that software except it's not supported any longer.
Is there anyway to backup the WMX1's settings once you have it programmed?  Nice summary of this little console, by the way.  Your lighting setup is pretty close to what I suspect a lot of us "lounge lizards" are running :)

Yes, there is computer component called WTools that is used to update the software, backup shows, install extras, update fixture library, etc.  There is a small cost if you need to enable more than 1 universe and some other adding but fairly low cost. We have production provided the next 3 shows but mid May will be back on our rig and will test some more. 

FYI:  There is a poster further down thread who mentioned he was doing Live Edits very quickly during show and I found the same, was much easier in practice than reading about it.  Quite fun little board....

Nate Zifra

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 04:20:22 PM »

Not much to add other than another +1 for Wolfmix.  I purchased it last year, and it has really simplified my lighting control. 

If you have to program your own fixtures, there is a bit of a learning curve to it (best to create fixtures in the software on a computer, than in the device itself).  There are also limitations to what it can do, especially if you have special fixtures that use pixels like light bars or Bee Eyes, then you'll have to use Live Edits to control those functions.  Same for things like prisms, but once you get it, it's really easy to work around and fast!

Rob Stevens

• Rob Stevens
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 11:28:33 AM »

I just picked one of these up, I am a novice at DMX for sure but I managed to get a mover up and going in just a few minutes on it, I am hoping to set it up this weekend with one of my Pars and see what I can do with it.

Rob Stevens

• Rob Stevens
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 05:32:49 PM »

I am still struggling a bit with mine, I have it hooked into some ADJ Par lights and definitely have control but just need more knowledge on how to use it, I think I am going to set up a bar in the house with the 2 movers and just go through all the videoes.

I also tried to get my Chauvet laser and so far thats been a failure,
as well as the DMX profile for my Yorkville LED 4XP doesnt seem to work but, as those are mostly just my washes, I will be ok without control of them.

Really i need to find some local to me who is good on DMX to show me what these can do.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 05:32:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 23 queries.