ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 conductor cabling on dual 18 subs  (Read 3025 times)

Michael Mills

4 conductor cabling on dual 18 subs
« on: March 22, 2023, 06:20:03 AM »

Is it worth the expense and to go with 4 conductor cables to each sub box, example...jbl 828s in discrete vs a 2 wire in parallel?
How does it relate to damping,  ie. Each speaker in each box cabled back independently via (4 wire) only to have both pair terminate on the same output of the amp to achieve a 4 ohm load
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 12:57:14 AM by Michael Mills »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: 4 conductor cabling on dual 18 subs
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 07:45:49 AM »

Is it worth the expense and to go with 4 conductor cables to each sub box, example...jbl 828s in discrete vs a 2 wire in parallel?
How does it relate to damping,  ie. Each speaker in each bow cabled back independently via (4 wire) only to have both pair terminate on the same output of the amp to achieve a 4 ohm load

If you have 4 conductors vs 2 and they are all the same gauge, more conductors would mean more copper and thus less loss in the line.  In real world scenarios, unless you're running undersized wire or very long distances, you're going to be hard pressed to end up with an audible difference.
Brian Jojade

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 08:12:51 AM »

If you have 4 conductors vs 2 and they are all the same gauge, more conductors would mean more copper and thus less loss in the line.  In real world scenarios, unless you're running undersized wire or very long distances, you're going to be hard pressed to end up with an audible difference.

+1

In practical application, it doesn't matter.  If making 100' runs from the amp, then it's worth consideration.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 09:51:16 AM by Steve-White »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 09:47:24 AM »

Michael,

You may enjoy this calculator for determining all of the various variables.
https://products.electrovoice.com/na/en/cableloss

And a paper on damping factor:
https://linea-research.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/LR%20Download%20Assets/Tech%20Docs/Damping%20factor%20debunked%20-01a.pdf

GLHF!

In practical application, it doesn't matter.  If making 100" runs from the amp, then it's worth consideration.

I think you mean 100ft  ;D
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Michael Mills

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 01:07:54 AM »

Yes all conductors are same size, 11/4 cable with NL4 on box end and 1 binding post with both pair on amp side. Amps are Crown MA 2500 bridged, with 1 amp per box. Cables are 50'
4 sub boxes and 4 amps.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 04:50:15 PM »

Amps are Crown MA 2500 bridged, with 1 amp per box. Cables are 50'
4 sub boxes and 4 amps.

The main benefit to using 4 conductor cable, besides higher damping factor, is that you can use one amp channel per driver rather than one per sub.  Especially if it's a 4 ohm sub (dual 8 ohm drivers), each amp channel will run at 8 ohms rather than 2 ohms.  Even though the power to the sub looks lower on paper, look at amp output vs time graphs, as that along with higher damping will help it perform better overall. 

I'd say go for it, as long as it addresses the amps as well.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 08:38:10 PM »

I'd be inclined to look at the numbers for 4x 14ga - not so sure you want to bridge those amps into a 4 ohm load.  With one amp per pair of 18's I'd go dual channel to the drivers with independent runs to them from the amps.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 11:05:35 AM »

The switch on the back of the SRX828S, isn't the same as the old SRX47## series.  The switch allows you change from Pins 1 to Pins 2.

What can do is run NL4-4C into the 828 (switched to Pins2) and then Link up to your mains with jumper (Pins1).  I did this when I had my SRX7## system and it worked out great.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 02:54:17 PM »

The switch on the back of the SRX828S, isn't the same as the old SRX47## series.  The switch allows you change from Pins 1 to Pins 2.

What can do is run NL4-4C into the 828 (switched to Pins2) and then Link up to your mains with jumper (Pins1).  I did this when I had my SRX7## system and it worked out great.

It's a simple internal rewire to have pins 1 to one driver and pins 2 to the other. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 10:45:57 AM »

I'd be inclined to look at the numbers for 4x 14ga - not so sure you want to bridge those amps into a 4 ohm load.  With one amp per pair of 18's I'd go dual channel to the drivers with independent runs to them from the amps.

This.

We have been running 4 conductors on subs for years so that each driver gets powered discretely. The benefit gets better when you have multiple dual 18's and you never know how many you are going to use that day. If you out out 3/side with the standard wiring you'll have a 2 ohm load and a 4 ohm load, but with the discrete wiring both loads would be 2.6 ohm. You'll get a balanced load on your amp (and distro, depending how its wired) by using the discrete wiring.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 10:45:57 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.