ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Anything you want. EXCEPT for religion or politics OR HOME THEATER"  (Read 1409 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US

Any commentary on why the mods locked the Genelec 1236A vs Meyer Bluehorn vs JBL M2 thread?
The thread was getting some engagement and discussion. No incivility to be found.

Y'all may want to change the description of the basement category if audio-related-but-not-specifically-live-sound topics are off limits. While that thread was discussing pro studio gear, I appreciate the occasional "what do you have at home and why" topics so I can hear from people I trust rather than go poking around on audiophool sites when I happen to be looking for some new gear at home.

Matthias McCready

Re: "Anything you want. EXCEPT for religion or politics OR HOME THEATER"
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 09:40:58 PM »

Any commentary on why the mods locked the Genelec 1236A vs Meyer Bluehorn vs JBL M2 thread?
The thread was getting some engagement and discussion. No incivility to be found.

Y'all may want to change the description of the basement category if audio-related-but-not-specifically-live-sound topics are off limits. While that thread was discussing pro studio gear, I appreciate the occasional "what do you have at home and why" topics so I can hear from people I trust rather than go poking around on audiophool sites when I happen to be looking for some new gear at home.

I also quite enjoy home audio, I have several systems at home; I was into that many years before becoming a mix engineer. I still visit or am a member of some "Hi-Fi" forums, although I frequent most of them less than I used to as many prefer subjectivity over science (expensive cables, audio rocks, etc).

I do not begrudge home listening by any means, in fact I often prefer it over concerts, SPL is quite a bit lower at home.  ;)

---

That being said I understand why the thread was locked, the aim seemed to me be, "Hey I have quite a bit of money, out of these brands flagship products which is the most 'narly' for my domicile?"

Beyond that:

1. The products weren't apples to apples (different designs, costs, and usability factors).
2. The discussion wasn't focused on the merits of designs, but sound of A vs B vs C in "my large living room."
3. No one here, as best I can tell, has heard all three, much less in the same room.
4. I don't believe anyone has measured the three systems in question with a Klippel Near Field system; which is fairly cost prohibitive for anyone but a manufacturer to do.
5. The room is a pretty important factor at this cost point; ie I seriously doubt any of those brands would want you to simply put them in a room without knowing more first.
6. Rather than a professional focus, which I believe is the intent of this forum, it seemed focused on the hobby aspect. Yes, we do use professional products, and yes we do have hobbies, however it seems a little like asking "should I get K1 or KSL for my lawn?"

That is my take anyways though.  :)
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 10:13:57 PM »

Quite possibly there are already countless other forums, groups and sites dealing with the subject but nowhere near as many quality places dealing with our live pro audio subject.  If I have to scroll through any more videos of stupid car and home audio woofers pumping away on my instagram I'll probably delete it.  Even the "pro audio" on such sites is stacks of ridiculous comb-filter generators and posing DJ's.  I would want those type of people to come on here and not see the same type of thing and immediately notice the difference.

Have you ever also noticed how on many HT and audiophool sites they show a piece of gear and the first thing after the heading is it's price?  Like the fact that a single home-speaker costing $58,000 makes it somehow "better"?  I like that we don't have that here and we generally encourage people not to waste their money, find more practical alternatives or just not settle for a printed price by calling a real dealer!  The dog-eat-dog world of small business tends to make us so much more practical and common sense around here. As well as grounded in real science because we simply need to be when we have to actually spend eye-watering amounts of hard earned income on what's required to run our businesses successfully
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 12:36:24 AM »

Being a home audio and HT buff myself, I do like to dabble in some banter about it.  However, I don't mess with the regular Audio forums for the mentality.  I tried that route about 10 years ago and eventually just lost interest and walked away from it.  Too many $1000 line cord moron's.

And yeah, this is harmless but how to control it would cause lots of controversy - I can the see the point of the moderators in just saying no.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 03:29:37 AM »

Look in the subforums for the basement and you will find a subforum dedicated to home stereo/theater, started by yours truly.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,167779.0.html

TBH I forgot about it. The last post was June 2018.

I locked the Bluehorn thread because I didn’t like the direction it was headed in, and the apparent intent.  As someone said there are plenty of forums for hifi research. 

In the future we can use that Basement subforum, audiophoolery radar “on”.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 03:31:59 AM by Doug Fowler »
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 02:11:40 PM »

Look in the subforums for the basement and you will find a subforum dedicated to home stereo/theater, started by yours truly.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,167779.0.html

TBH I forgot about it. The last post was June 2018.

I locked the Bluehorn thread because I didn’t like the direction it was headed in, and the apparent intent.  As someone said there are plenty of forums for hifi research. 

In the future we can use that Basement subforum, audiophoolery radar “on”.

Please take this constructively as I intend...Your assessment seems arbitrary. No rules were broken. The discussion wasn't into snake oil territory, it was centered around measured response of a professional product. I suggest defining the boundaries more clearly up front if administrative force by way of thread locks are to be handed out.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 04:51:57 PM »

Please take this constructively as I intend...Your assessment seems arbitrary. No rules were broken. The discussion wasn't into snake oil territory, it was centered around measured response of a professional product. I suggest defining the boundaries more clearly up front if administrative force by way of thread locks are to be handed out.

Thanks Corey.  We can’t define all the boundaries, there are too many parameters. 

I’m sure this looks like an easy job but the fact is it gets hard when the limits are tested.  If I erred, I did it on the side of caution.  As I said, in the future we can use that home theater/hifi subforum I linked to.
It's got electrolytes. 

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 06:37:19 PM »

Thanks Corey.  We can’t define all the boundaries, there are too many parameters. 

I’m sure this looks like an easy job but the fact is it gets hard when the limits are tested.  If I erred, I did it on the side of caution.  As I said, in the future we can use that home theater/hifi subforum I linked to.
Could we get you to moderate the national mainstream news....  :o

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 07:26:50 PM »

Could we get you to moderate the national mainstream news....  :o

JR

Lol.  What’s it pay?
It's got electrolytes. 

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 08:24:33 AM »

Lol.  What’s it pay?
NOT enough....  >:(
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 08:24:33 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.