ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Label maker  (Read 5397 times)

John Lackner

Label maker
« on: February 07, 2022, 09:59:48 PM »

I'm currently in search of a good label maker. Lots of choices out there - Brother, Dymo, Epson, Brady.  I'm wondering - do the big buck label makers have any important advantages over the basic ones - besides rechargeable batteries? I plan on using it to label cables in a rack and panels, devices, etc. Are there any preferred favorites?
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Label maker
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 01:39:12 AM »

My current primary is the Dymo Rhino 5200.

I really like how it can make cable labels that wrap around the wire as well as make labels for patch panels, etc, where you define the width of each block, then create one big honking label.

I don't like how big it is, or the fact that it uses an alphabetical keyboard instead of a QWERTY keyboard.

I've also got a few other label makers, from el cheapo to moderately priced.  For basic labels, they're all adequate.

In reality, something that I could connect to the computer or phone via bluettoth would make things easier vs the dedicated label machine. However, I haven't had the opportunity to play with any of those yet.
Brian Jojade

John Schalk

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 09:38:59 AM »

I have a DYMO LetraTag 100H.  It's positive features are portability and the fact that I can get label cartridges for it at Target.  Cons are the non-qwerty keyboard and having to switch between letters and numbers while typing in the label.  It's print quality is just fair; if you use the dual line mode the characters looks squished.  But, it has been rock solid for my low volume label printing needs and I would probably go with something similar, in size at least, if I need to buy a replacement down the road.

Edit to add:
After I've peeled off the backing and stuck the label onto the piece of gear I generally cover it with a piece of clear packing tape for extra protection.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 09:46:00 AM by John Schalk »

Daniel Levi

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 09:43:46 AM »

Plenty of compatible labels for the Brother machines and I've had good luck with them.
Currently have a desktop D600VP that will do up to 24MM tape and can be used with a PC.
Full QWERTY keyboard and separate number keys, plus a load of useful symbols/warning signs included too Auto cuts so you can tell it to print multiples of a label or use email merges and it ill auto cut each label.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 10:58:29 AM »

My current primary is the Dymo Rhino 5200.

I really like how it can make cable labels that wrap around the wire as well as make labels for patch panels, etc, where you define the width of each block, then create one big honking label.

I don't like how big it is, or the fact that it uses an alphabetical keyboard instead of a QWERTY keyboard.

I use the same one and it works well. A lot of "compatible" cartridges available.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 01:34:39 PM »

I use the same one and it works well. A lot of "compatible" cartridges available.

Yes, compatible, but there are a lot of CRAP compatible cartridges too...
Brian Jojade

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 03:11:16 PM »

I use a Dymo Rhino largely because I can get heat shrink label stock for it.  I wonder if there are any Computer controllable ones out there that can also do shrink.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 06:02:01 PM »

I use a Dymo Rhino largely because I can get heat shrink label stock for it.  I wonder if there are any Computer controllable ones out there that can also do shrink.

Any of the Brother machines with pc connectivity that can do 18mm+ labels, some of the PC only machines are quite clever in that they include a "lite" version of the editing software in the printer, and a switch on the back puts it in to editor lite mode where the device simply appears as a USB memory device. No installation needed other than the USB memory device.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 06:41:05 PM »

I've got a Brother PT-E550W which more than fits my needs.  Aside from the standard label functionality (including barcodes) it can print on shrink and also be controlled from my phone in addition to PC.  Despite my first thoughts of the phone control being more of a party trick than anything I've found it to be quite useful.

To address the OP, my rationale for this machine over the $39 machines from Staples was to print on shrink for the custom cables I make, but all the other pro-level features come in handy too.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 09:18:03 AM »

I've always been a fan of the Brady BMP21-PLUS for portable labelling. It'll do the self-laminating wire-wrap labels, as well as patch panel labels. You can also get heat-shrink tubing for it. Easily held in one hand. Never been a fan of the Brother labeler; their labels just didn't seem to last.  Though that PT-E550W looks nice. And I see that they now make a self-laminating label as well. Might be worth another look. Still a little hesitant; the label tape price is almost half of what Brady's is, and I suspect there's a 'quality' reason for that.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 09:18:03 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.