Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Pin and sleeve..

<< < (2/4) > >>

Brian Jojade:
There may be different power ratings on cable depending on the number of conductors.  Some sites list 2/5 cable as rated at 65 amps, others say it's rated at 120 amps.

I did find one site that has 1/5 Type W cable at the shocking price of $20.75/ft and 3lbs per foot.  I do NOT want to be the roadie responsible for dragging that mess around!

I personally have a 60' chunk of 2/4 that I use for 100 amp service with camlocks on it.  That's a beast in itself to move around.

Generally, at that point, we move into the big boy stuff which is single conductor cables with camlock connectors.

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/1-awg-5c-type-w-portable-power-cable

Generally speaking, most distros for travel rigs will be set up for 50/60 amp connectors, with the California connector being very common.  Easy and reasonably sized.

If they won't allow camlok connectors for the larger gauges, then you'll be looking at things like this Eaton connector.

https://www.homelectrical.com/100-amp-pin-and-sleeve-plug-4-pole-5-wire-208v-blue.etw-ah5100p9w.1.html

Stupid expensive, but less prone to idiots connecting things incorrectly like you may have with Cams.  If they are putting that connector in, make sure they also are providing for a sub panel to adapt to other types of connectors. 

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on January 17, 2022, 08:17:09 PM ---
Stupid expensive, but less prone to idiots connecting things incorrectly like you may have with Cams.  If they are putting that connector in, make sure they also are providing for a sub panel to adapt to other types of connectors.

--- End quote ---

And one of those will need to be.... CAMS.

I think I know why governments and institutions like CEE form (and it's not a bad reason) - it puts all the liability on the user side of the outlet.  The reality is the vast majority of Production Providers You've NOT Heard Of do not use CEE forms and will have no way to directly utilize the outlet.  The Big Kids of the production world - those that have multi-jurisdictional operations - have been using these for 20 years.

Tim Hite:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on January 17, 2022, 08:17:09 PM ---
***SNIP***

I personally have a 60' chunk of 2/4 that I use for 100 amp service with camlocks on it.  That's a beast in itself to move around.

***SNIP***

If they won't allow camlok connectors for the larger gauges, then you'll be looking at things like this Eaton connector.

https://www.homelectrical.com/100-amp-pin-and-sleeve-plug-4-pole-5-wire-208v-blue.etw-ah5100p9w.1.html

--- End quote ---

Couple things, multi-conductor SO cable with the outer jacket stripped away no longer meets NFPA 70, so you really aren't supposed to use cams on that stuff.

Those P&S connectors are big $$$ indeed. On the upside, they are keyed differently for each voltage option and they are IP67. They are way easier to plug in than twist lock devices, as well. We installed a bunch for outdoor generator inlets over the summer and I was impressed with the build quality and ease of use. The price made me blush.

Daniel Levi:

--- Quote from: Tim Hite on January 21, 2022, 04:10:42 AM ---Couple things, multi-conductor SO cable with the outer jacket stripped away no longer meets NFPA 70, so you really aren't supposed to use cams on that stuff.

Those P&S connectors are big $$$ indeed. On the upside, they are keyed differently for each voltage option and they are IP67. They are way easier to plug in than twist lock devices, as well. We installed a bunch for outdoor generator inlets over the summer and I was impressed with the build quality and ease of use. The price made me blush.

--- End quote ---

Note only the IEC P+S connectors (IEC60309) that have a locking ring are IP67, the ones with no locking ring are only IP44 rated, though when mounted downwards it's not a huge issue, and the IP44 230V 16/32A variants are what you'll find powering caravans over here outside in all weathers.

Tim Hite:

--- Quote from: Daniel Levi on January 21, 2022, 04:39:11 AM ---Note only the IEC P+S connectors (IEC60309) that have a locking ring are IP67, the ones with no locking ring are only IP44 rated, though when mounted downwards it's not a huge issue, and the IP44 230V 16/32A variants are what you'll find powering caravans over here outside in all weathers.

--- End quote ---

Ahh, I didn't realize there was another version. We were installing 60A 3ø 480v backup generator inlets for submersible pumps on lift stations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version