Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Pin and sleeve..

<< < (4/4)

Tim Hite:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on January 21, 2022, 06:52:31 PM ---SHHHH!! Don't tell anyone around here that!! LOL

The 'inspectors' around here have no clue and don't seem to care much, so we can get away with stuff that may not exactly be up to national code.

Yeah, I know it's not really a valid excuse, but it's one of those things where the safety level is far and above what many others get away with.  One of those weird rules that doesn't make as much sense. 4 separate conductors are ok, but bundle them together for the majority of the run and now a foot of separate conductor becomes dangerous.  I'll take that risk. :)

--- End quote ---

I think it has more to do with the outer black armor being stripped away.

Meanwhile, in my internet ramblings I found this info on a website that occasionally has some useful knowledge to share:

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=139311.0

I think the P&S connectors are an even safer design.

Benjamin Krumholz:

--- Quote from: Al Rettich on January 17, 2022, 03:16:01 PM --- I'm having an extremely hard time finding a five wire cable that will hold 100a three phase (five wire). Is that cable called a certain name?

TIA

--- End quote ---

CarolpreneŽ Jacketed Type SOOW, Non-UL

https://www.cesco.com/resources/pdf_9E3/102463-AttachmentURL.pdf

if you NEED 100A rated you will need to go to the 2000V series not the 600V series..

We use the 600v 4/5 Cable is only rated to 80 amps. And have plenty in stock if you need..

The cable we use is P-7k-123033-MSHA.. But if you want to put cams on it you are probably best just getting #2 cable and doing seperate cable for each lead.

Brian Hancock:
Just saw this post while browsing by and thought I would comment because of what an un-named venue "operations mgr" told me recently.  Told him we have the 60a adaptor with cam tails for a 3 phase service and he looked super surprised.  He said yeah we put those in a few years back so no one would use them forcing shows the bring in temporary power?!? Basically what was said above. The local jurisdiction didn't want the liability so they make it as hard as possible for anyone to connect, requiring a locally licensed electrician to make the connection etc. etc. Etc.

Jeff Bankston:
Back in the late 90's I had to strip 5 conductors of 4/0 in a cable and put a 5 conductor pin and sleeve connector on. It was an amphenol cast metal connector. I sat in a chair and brought my lunch. Its not so bad. I remember it better than other things I did. Would I do it again ? I'm retired !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version