ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone know how to use provisionaire touch with Yamaha DZR15-D speakers??  (Read 2157 times)

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT

I have 2 dzr15-d speakers connected to a WiFi AP via the Ethernet ports. Using iPad to AP with provisionaire touch.  Have set speakers (on panel) to device 01 and 02.  I can add dzr-d device to PV by device I’d but they never seem to be found or there is no indication of that.   

I want to control the speaker panel settings remotely.  This is supposed to do that.  How?

—Kevin

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB

I have 2 dzr15-d speakers connected to a WiFi AP via the Ethernet ports. Using iPad to AP with provisionaire touch.  Have set speakers (on panel) to device 01 and 02.  I can add dzr-d device to PV by device I’d but they never seem to be found or there is no indication of that.   

I want to control the speaker panel settings remotely.  This is supposed to do that.  How?

Are the IP addresses of the speakers and the iPad in the same subnet?

-Russ

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT

Are the IP addresses of the speakers and the iPad in the same subnet?

-Russ

Ok you missed that the speakers can be defined/identified by “ID” which I presume translates to MAC address.  My speakers are ID 01 and 02.   I think all this operates at layer 2 so up address not needed.

I did find to my great surprise that the iPad is indeed controlling the eq.  I set a button to control eq on/off and it worked. So there are 6 eq bands.  I set four faders to control cut boost, Q, frequency, and type of eq.  Those work also.  Clumsy but working.  So for 6 eq bands I’ll have 24 faders.  Very clumsy.

At the moment I can’t figure out how to label the buttons or faders.  I can set text on and color and font.  But I never get a box to type a label into.

Why Yamaha doesn’t supply canned control screens for the various devices is a mystery.

—Kevin

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB

Ok you missed that the speakers can be defined/identified by “ID” which I presume translates to MAC address.  My speakers are ID 01 and 02.   I think all this operates at layer 2 so up address not needed. {...}

I'm glad it's working for you, but I would be shocked if it wasn't IP-based. Yamaha device IDs typically do not correlate to MAC addresses, if for no other reason than that, on most devices, MAC addresses are basically immutable. Writing software that works without the benefit of an IP stack tends to be quite a bit more difficult (particularly if there are firewalls involved, which there inevitably are) while providing few benefits; I'm not even sure it's possible on a locked-down platform like iOS. Moreover, the "Registering devices to control" section of the ProVisionaire Touch Setup Guide (starting on page 66) specifically refers to matching units by IP address.

-Russ

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT

I'm glad it's working for you, but I would be shocked if it wasn't IP-based. Yamaha device IDs typically do not correlate to MAC addresses, if for no other reason than that, on most devices, MAC addresses are basically immutable. Writing software that works without the benefit of an IP stack tends to be quite a bit more difficult (particularly if there are firewalls involved, which there inevitably are) while providing few benefits; I'm not even sure it's possible on a locked-down platform like iOS. Moreover, the "Registering devices to control" section of the ProVisionaire Touch Setup Guide (starting on page 66) specifically refers to matching units by IP address.

-Russ

So it does seem to work without it address.  Very hard to make a manu that works in place of the control panel.   At the moment I can’t figure out how to text label the buttons and faders.  But they do work.

—Kevin

Kent Clasen

Ok you missed that the speakers can be defined/identified by “ID” which I presume translates to MAC address.  My speakers are ID 01 and 02.   I think all this operates at layer 2 so up address not needed.

I did find to my great surprise that the iPad is indeed controlling the eq.  I set a button to control eq on/off and it worked. So there are 6 eq bands.  I set four faders to control cut boost, Q, frequency, and type of eq.  Those work also.  Clumsy but working.  So for 6 eq bands I’ll have 24 faders.  Very clumsy.

At the moment I can’t figure out how to label the buttons or faders.  I can set text on and color and font.  But I never get a box to type a label into.

Why Yamaha doesn’t supply canned control screens for the various devices is a mystery.

—Kevin

Hi Kevin-

In Design Mode just press and hold the button and options for the button look, text, etc. will pop up. Also, there are some helpful videos on u tube.

Thomas Le

This may seem like a backwards step but try to see if you can install provisionaire on a computer and see if you can see them there. I kinda have the same scenario except I am strictly monitoring the meters off a MTX5 matrix processor. I haven't tried the iPad but I know it works on a windows laptop.

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT

Thanks all. 

For the skeptics that can’t believe they are communicating without ip (layer 3) they are.   Remember there is a layer 2 under layer three and I expect they connect at that level. 

When I move a fader on the iPad, I look at the display on one of the speakers and I see that function change ( whatever it is assigned to).  For these speakers it’s a clumsy interface, but yes, they communicate without IP.

I will try again to get the text input to work so I can label the controls.  That. Is the challenge at the moment I’ll look for YouTube videos but I have only seen ones where a Yamaha console is controlling devices.

—Kevin

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB

{...} For the skeptics that can’t believe they are communicating without ip (layer 3) they are. {...}

Just to be clear, while I'm sure you were able to add the speakers into ProVisionaire Touch by only specifying IDs, I would guess that, behind the scenes, this only works because the devices all have IP addresses in the same subnet and that, if this stopped being the case for whatever reason, ProVisionaire would stop being able to communicate with them.

{...} Remember there is a layer 2 under layer three and I expect they connect at that level. {...} 

I promise that I haven't forgotten about good ol' Ethernet, but I'm fairly certain that—for security reasons—iOS doesn't allow an app to read or write raw Ethernet packets without root (i.e. jailbreaking).

-Russ

Geert Friedhof

Provisionaire Touch does use TCP/IP. It just works because your network has either an DHCP server and the DZR has DHCP enabled or if in the Network menu the IP Set. is set to Unit ID the networkadress is simply 192.168.0.ID and your Ipad is by luck in the same 192.168.0.0 network. Just read the manual.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Does anyone know how to use provisionaire touch with Yamaha DZR15-D speakers??
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 01:52:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.