ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Jbl SRX828SP SRX815P SRX835P 812P  (Read 3676 times)

Matthew Palmer

Re: Jbl SRX828SP SRX815P SRX835P 812P
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 08:33:01 PM »

That reply wasn't directed at you...It was answering why someone might limit themselves to JBL, there are good reasons for not just picking a speaker solely based on how it sounds.thanks for the clarification, i appreciate it. Ive researched many brands and am still considering everything. The Jbl s i used as an example as they were the latest thing ive been looking at and they seem to fit what i need.  I'm definitely considering everything. Thanks again....
Thanks Bob for referring to me as THIS FORUM, instead of calling me out directly. lol I think a lot of people, including myself come here to learn, or "so lost" as you put it. I'm a musician, not a sound tech, just trying to learn. Thanks for your reply. Good day....
Thank you for the clarification I appreciate it. I'm definitely considering all brands I just happened to be researching The JBLs lately. They would suit us well i think. Thanks again!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 08:40:01 PM »

I sold my SRX system BUT I still believe the 800 series is the best one can find in that money bracket AND some in terms of power and sound quality. If I hadn't purchased my Danley's, I would still be using my SRX system because I haven't found anything else close to the money to beat it.
Of course that all changes when you jump up to the next tier of PA speaker.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rick Powell

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 06:08:45 PM »

I'm considering upgrading my PA system.
Been researching the JBL srx 828sp cabs and either the srx835 or 815 powered tops. Id like to have 2 of the tops per side for coverage reasons. Wondering if that would be too much top cab for for just a single 2x18per side?

Two tops and one sub per side?...when putting up more than one top speaker per side you have two concerns. How to get them in the air (elevation helps most all speaker deployments) and whether they will play nice together, or have destructive interference. Most top speakers are not designed with side by side arrayability in mind. Of the speakers listed the 835 is the only one that is sort of arrayable. If it were me, I would have at least one 828 for each top box. A rig of two 835s and two 828s a side would cover most of your applications, and you could probably get away with one of each a side for many gigs. Two subs a side would also give you a place to stack your tops if you had two tops per side.

I agree with the comment to look at the Yamaha DZR series. I have a pair of the 12s and they have subbed for SM80s in my Danley rig and they filled in nicely and without embarrassment.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 06:14:32 PM by Rick Powell »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 03:16:45 AM »

Thank you for the clarification I appreciate it. I'm definitely considering all brands I just happened to be researching The JBLs lately. They would suit us well i think. Thanks again!

Out of curiosity what exactly does this research consist of? 

You said you are musician.  Do you have a sound engineer?  Spending this much on a PA then mixing from the stage defeats the purpose. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Matthew Palmer

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 07:55:44 AM »

Out of curiosity what exactly does this research consist of? 

You said you are musician.  Do you have a sound engineer?  Spending this much on a PA then mixing from the stage defeats the purpose.
lots of reading. Looking at reviews and listening to what others who are more familiar with the different cabs and sound production. Comparing specs etc...we typically work with a sound tech, yes.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 05:28:11 PM »

lots of reading. Looking at reviews and listening to what others who are more familiar with the different cabs and sound production. Comparing specs etc...we typically work with a sound tech, yes.

Reading subjective BS from people who may or may not be "users" is worth what it costs, nothing.  That hardly justifies as research.  Might make you crazy.

Researching is running the cabinets in your scenario and taking meaningful, repeatable measurements of the performance of the system.

Build a value matrix that contains the objective and subjective criteria for your purchase then place those along y axis of a spreadsheet.  Now put your different systems across the x axis.  Assign a relative weight to each of the the criteria.  Now go and test each system scoring it into the value matrix.  You may find little differentiation between systems within given price ranges but you may find a logistic feature that tips the scales on that product.  Some folks weight price very high, some vendors deliver high value for money.  In the end it will keep you from these mental gymnastics and wondering if you made the right choice.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Matthew Palmer

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2021, 03:05:44 AM »

Reading subjective BS from people who may or may not be "users" is worth what it costs, nothing.  That hardly justifies as research.  Might make you crazy.

Researching is running the cabinets in your scenario and taking meaningful, repeatable measurements of the performance of the system.

Build a value matrix that contains the objective and subjective criteria for your purchase then place those along y axis of a spreadsheet.  Now put your different systems across the x axis.  Assign a relative weight to each of the the criteria.  Now go and test each system scoring it into the value matrix.  You may find little differentiation between systems within given price ranges but you may find a logistic feature that tips the scales on that product.  Some folks weight price very high, some vendors deliver high value for money.  In the end it will keep you from these mental gymnastics and wondering if you made the right choice.
sounds like you have a great way of doing your research. i respect that. i do it differently but thanks for the suggestion. i don't have the luxury of live comparisons. good day.....

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2021, 06:20:14 AM »

sounds like you have a great way of doing your research. i respect that. i do it differently but thanks for the suggestion. i don't have the luxury of live comparisons. good day.....

When you're betting your business, reputation, and quality of services provided on a new set of speakers, you better be SURE of what you're doing.
Just as I would never comment on a PA or board that I have not personally driven.
"Internet research" may give you ideas, but it is not enough to "pull the trigger. You have to try it yourself.
Spec sheets may say 70 pounds, but where the handles are placed makes a big friggin difference weather it "feels" like 50, or 100 when you pop it onto a stand,.

Just sayin...
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Kirk Olson

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2021, 12:37:40 AM »

I have run SRX800 systems for the last 6 years, combinations of 828's, 818's, 835's and 812's (everything except the 815's).  As many have said before, this may be one of the best bang for the buck systems.  Absolutely nothing wrong, and in widespread use.
 That being said, I think there are better systems out there for not much more money.  The offerings from RCF and Danley are well worth the extra money and spoken of highly on this forum. 
On the other end, for what you are describing, I also wouldn't rule out the PRX series from JBL, and as others have mentioned the Yamaha boxes.  One big thing to consider is if you need to grow in the future, will you be able to add boxes.  Subs are easy, just get more; tops, not as much.  If you go with the SRX812P with 90 degree coverage, you are pretty much limited to one per side.  If you go with SRX835P, a single is 60 degrees, which you can get by with one per side depending on the show, or put 2 per side for 120 degree coverage for wider coverage outdoors. And as stated, try to get out and hear each box before buying.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2021, 12:37:40 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.