ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Rack mount mixer for keys? Anything better than the Alesis?  (Read 4617 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Rack mount mixer for keys? Anything better than the Alesis?
« on: August 23, 2021, 06:23:36 PM »

I need to buy a keyboard submixer. 3 stereo keys, 2 mics from a leslie (under the stage) and a vocal. It needs at least one aux out to drive a local monitor.

I guess the venerable old Alesis Multimix still does the job, but is there anything else out there that I don't know about? I'd like to have 3 stereo channels plus the mono with mic pre channels.

Basically I need it for when a guest comes to play keys and/or sing for things like funerals and weddings. I'm going to put a little powered speaker there and make the whole key rig a little easier to deal with.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Rack mount mixer for keys? Anything better than the Alesis?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 07:18:19 PM »

Ashly MX508, higher cost though.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 07:36:37 PM »

A&H Zed?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 07:41:19 PM »

Ashly MX508, higher cost though.
It doesn't really add any functionality over the Alesis other than higher cost. If it had stereo channels I'd be more interested. As it is, the Alesis is good enough, but I was hoping someone knew of a similar format mixer with 3-4 stereo channels, plus mono, and an aux.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 09:54:30 PM by Mac Kerr »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 07:43:56 PM »

A&H Zed?
I don't have a tabletop for which to place the tabletop mixer. Also, only 2 stereo channels it seems.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 11:30:36 PM »

Is there any limitation that the multimix isn't providing?  Yeah, that design has been around for quite some time, but it's pretty tried and true. I got my first one back in the mid 90's if I recall correctly.  Used them for many years and had at least 3 revisions of the 12R.  Each one sounded better than the last.

Behringer makes a crappy knockoff clone for a fraction of the price.  It's old school behinger and sounds like it....

Now, if you need more functionality, the Behringer XAir XR12 is a pretty powerful little unit in a tiny box.  It's new behringer, so it's not complete crap of days past.  It's nice and small, and you can easily velcro a small tablet or old phone to the face and put it in a rack and have a full featured mixer available with WAY more flexibility than the analog mixer provides.

If you're worried about running wifi, pick up a tablet with built in ethernet, or get appropriate hard wired adaptors.  For something that will be permanently in a rack, it should work great.
Brian Jojade

Tim Halligan

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 06:50:18 AM »

Yep.

Speck Xtramix.

http://speck.com/xtramix6/xtramix_x6.html

Add as many mic-preamps as required.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 12:06:22 PM »

Is there any limitation that the multimix isn't providing?  Yeah, that design has been around for quite some time, but it's pretty tried and true. I got my first one back in the mid 90's if I recall correctly.  Used them for many years and had at least 3 revisions of the 12R.  Each one sounded better than the last.

Behringer makes a crappy knockoff clone for a fraction of the price.  It's old school behinger and sounds like it....

Now, if you need more functionality, the Behringer XAir XR12 is a pretty powerful little unit in a tiny box.  It's new behringer, so it's not complete crap of days past.  It's nice and small, and you can easily velcro a small tablet or old phone to the face and put it in a rack and have a full featured mixer available with WAY more flexibility than the analog mixer provides.

If you're worried about running wifi, pick up a tablet with built in ethernet, or get appropriate hard wired adaptors.  For something that will be permanently in a rack, it should work great.

Not that it lacks functionality, I would just prefer to run the keys into stereo channels to reduce the user error as much as possible by people fiddling with it. It's really not that big of a deal. Just looking for something better than the status quo.

I'm familiar with all the headless mixers. It's not a situation that calls for that. This is to make the key rig a littler simpler and to add a powered monitor for those times when a guest (someone not on IEM's) comes to play.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 12:10:16 PM »

Yep.

Speck Xtramix.

http://speck.com/xtramix6/xtramix_x6.html

Add as many mic-preamps as required.

Cheers,
Tim

Wow, this thing is as serious as a rack mixer gets s it seems! This is probably a little too much for the task at hand, but it sure is cool!

Tim Halligan

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 01:16:35 PM »

This is probably a little too much for the task at hand, but it sure is cool!

It cannot be overstated as to how much I like expensive gear...especially when I'm spending someone else's money.

;D

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 01:16:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.