ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QU-16 and OBS Gotchas  (Read 2752 times)

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
QU-16 and OBS Gotchas
« on: January 10, 2021, 02:42:14 PM »

First off, I think I've solved the problems, but in doing a search about them I didn't notice anybody else with the same issues, so I thought I would ask here for any input the community might have.

Our church setup is a A&H QU-16 console feeding audio over USB to a Win10 PC running OBS (Open Broadcast Software) for the video switching and streaming.  I downloaded the QU ASIO driver and loaded it, and send the L/R mix out of the QU-16 on CH 17 and 18 of the USB.  I then pick up CH 17 and 18 in the OBS audio properties.

It all works, but the system is very particular about how it is turned on.

If the console is turned on first (with USB connected), and then the PC is started, the bootup hangs.  It doesn't even get to the Windows log in screen.  As long as the console is off, or USB unplugged, bootup happens in about 15 seconds (SSD system drive).

But if the console is powered up after OBS is started, OBS does not read the two channels on the USB connection.  As long as the console has fully booted up (takes maybe 5 seconds), and then OBS is started, it remembers the setup and audio is transmitted to the computer just fine.  This happened again this morning before the service, and simply closing and then restarting OBS (console stayed on) was enough to fix the problem.

The question is: Is this just an undocumented feature, or do I have something else at play here?  My searching on this forum and others hasn't revealed either of these problems.  I'm trying to make this system as foolproof as possible, and operators should be able to follow step-by-step instructions, but they don't always.  Starting the console too late could easily result in a stream with no audio, which is not something I want to hear about on a Sunday afternoon.  "Yeah, the service looked good, but we couldn't hear a thing!"  ;)

GTD

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: QU-16 and OBS Gotchas
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 07:10:38 PM »

Strange!

I have used my QU 16 and QU Pac quite a few times this year with OBS and did nothing special as far as the power up and connection order.
Same thing at some installs with QU's and some other USB OBS audio feeds.

A slight difference though was I always used USB output tracks 1 & 2 and assigned the needed mix to those tracks.
By default OBS will pick the audio off of tracks 1 & 2.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:38:47 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 09:27:10 PM »

A slight difference though was I always used USB output tracks 1 & 2 and assigned the needed mix to those tracks.
By default OBS will pick the audio off of tracks 1 & 2.

Are you using the QU ASIO driver, or just the default (which I think assumes a 2-ch. interface)?  I tested OBS at home using a similar Win10 computer, but with a simple 2-ch USB interface and didn't have to load any drivers.  The QU-16 wasn't as simple.

Geoff

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 11:16:58 PM »

These were all plug and play with no additional drivers loaded on PC's and a couple Macs

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 06:17:29 PM »

Perhaps I was overthinking things, and should have just assigned the stereo output to tracks 1 and 2 in the QU-16.  I'll have to experiment with this some more, one of these days.

GTD

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 10:38:06 AM »

Just wanted to post an update.
The other day I was setting up a QU24 in a system and they were using XSplit streaming software on a Win 10 lap top.

In that case I needed to down load the QU ASIO driver and using XSplit it pulled the audio from tracks 17 & 18, I assigned 17 & 18 to the mix that was set up for live streaming.

For what it's worth that was only the 2nd time I worked with XSplit, the first time was a system using a standalone USB audio interface.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 10:38:06 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.