ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any recommended effect for Home use?  (Read 2320 times)

Mike Henderson

Any recommended effect for Home use?
« on: October 19, 2020, 11:00:29 AM »

Hey guys, in my hangout room years ago I had Vertigo light but ditched that for a 15" disco ball with pinspots.

I want something modern now, maybe led so no heating issues. I want an effect which gives both still and moving options, mainly projecting soft patterns all over the room, any recommendations please? Thanks.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Any recommended effect for Home use?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 01:33:44 PM »

Chauvet has(had?) a cool fixture called Cirrus which puts out a a slow randomized colored LED and laser psychedelic pattern.
Also look at the Abyss or any water effect type fixtures.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Henderson

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 03:15:25 PM »

Chauvet has(had?) a cool fixture called Cirrus which puts out a a slow randomized colored LED and laser psychedelic pattern.

Will do, get back to you, thanks!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 05:22:27 PM »

Hi Mike, I've always been a big fan of the Martin Wizard style of effects.  Big output, good coverage, lots of options for motion, etc.  The Martin Rush Wizard and ADJ Warlock are the most recent iterations of this effect and can still be found in new condition without too much effort. 

If that's a bit "much" for household use the 4-in-1 and 5-in-1 style of effects like the Chauvet GigBar Series might be more appropriate - certainly much more variety than the one-trick units like the Vertigo (as much as I love my vintage effects).  Hope this helps!

Mike Henderson

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 06:23:26 PM »

Strange you mentioned "water" effects. Some years ago I had seen a live music performance on some tv awards show where the background looked like it was raining and under their feet had puddles of water. I know that has to be some high tech effects, curios, any idea about that effect?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 07:57:56 PM »

I have 2 Chauvet O-Beast lights in my office which stay on 24-7. Been a couple years now and they still work.

It's a basic Derby type effect and I have it set to sound active so it's still when nothing's happening, but they move when I'm mixing. They are dead quiet too.

These were just laying around the church when I got here, and since these don't have DMX they are about useless to me.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 09:16:41 PM »

Strange you mentioned "water" effects. Some years ago I had seen a live music performance on some tv awards show where the background looked like it was raining and under their feet had puddles of water. I know that has to be some high tech effects, curios, any idea about that effect?
Green screen?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 11:49:26 PM »

I'd suggest a bunch of small(micro) moving heads, anything as long as it has actual gobos but they will need to be under DMX conrtrol.

Mike Henderson

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 09:35:41 AM »

This is close to what I was referring to on the Awards show but not as good or as clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgyqOlii_Cc&list=PLRNHRWu6kQdSlWOkpan8ORin5ArYgDW2Y&index=234

I've looked into all mentioned here. The Martin wizard would indeed be too much for my situation.

I think the O-Beast might be more of what I want in still mode to simply reflect patterns all over the room on ceiling, walls and floor. That is what I had with the Disco ball and pinspots. Problem with those youtube videos is the more focus on the light machine itself and don't show the patterns all over the room.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 11:32:41 PM »

The o-Beast is more of the same type of basic Derby effect.. most of these just throw colors splotches around there are no patterns per se. When you mentioned patterns I had something like the ADJ Stinger Gobo in mind...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 11:32:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.