ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Any old school 70s Ceiling mounted Tops??  (Read 7398 times)

Mike Henderson

Any old school 70s Ceiling mounted Tops??
« on: September 18, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »

Ok guys, so I now that I have my bass settled I need to do something about my Tops. I am currently using a pair of EV Eliminator i speakers but being on top of my EAW SB1000 sub in my small one car garage is close and too harsh for my ears. No matter how I tried to equalize them not much improvement.

So I want to try a ceiling mounted top like a line array but need something analog and non-powered to try to maintain that analog tone. I can't remember line array speakers being around in the 70s so looking for something with warm mids and highs.

I was thinking of trying maybe a Community Top but was told that those usually tend to be very loud and harsh so any recommendations please?

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
Re: Any old school 70s Ceiling mounted Tops??
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 12:54:58 PM »

Get some old blankets and throw and throw them over in front of the tops
 fold blankets until you get the bite reduction you like
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 01:00:20 PM »

Ok guys, so I now that I have my bass settled I need to do something about my Tops. I am currently using a pair of EV Eliminator i speakers but being on top of my EAW SB1000 sub in my small one car garage is close and too harsh for my ears. No matter how I tried to equalize them not much improvement.

So I want to try a ceiling mounted top like a line array but need something analog and non-powered to try to maintain that analog tone. I can't remember line array speakers being around in the 70s so looking for something with warm mids and highs.

I was thinking of trying maybe a Community Top but was told that those usually tend to be very loud and harsh so any recommendations please?
Why would you EVER consider a line array for a 1 car garage?????????????

If you look at what a line array claims to do, you should quickly realize it doesn't matter in a very small room.

What you WILL get is more interference and cancellation notches in the response.  But maybe that is the "sound" you are looking for.  Different people like different things.

I would stick to what is called a "point source" type loudspeaker, even though non of the so called point sources actually are.  But it still much better than a line array for your application.

And yes, "line arrays" were out in the 70's and decades before.  Olson described in his book (now close to 80 years ago) the issues with line arrays, regarding polar response etc.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 01:04:16 PM »

Not sure what you mean by analog tone in a PA speaker but it sounds like you want to go old school. Oldest speaker design I can think of is a horn. One company that only makes horn speakers is Danley. Check out their SH50 and other models.

Maybe you could try adding a tube preamp or a processor that has tubes before the amps to get that nice warm sound. Or roll off the highs.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 01:22:54 PM »

Here's another another suggestion turn your tops around  backwards Point them at the wall move them away from the wall until you like that disbursed sound
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 01:29:39 PM »

Here's another another suggestion turn your tops around  backwards Point them at the wall move them away from the wall until you like that disbursed sound

I knew a guitar player that did that with his amp. It was too harsh and his "solution" was to point it against the back wall.

Mike Henderson

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 02:07:13 PM »

Why would you EVER consider a line array for a 1 car garage?????????????

I would stick to what is called a "point source" type loudspeaker, even though non of the so called point sources actually are.  But it still much better than a line array for your application.

And yes, "line arrays" were out in the 70's and decades before.  Olson described in his book (now close to 80 years ago) the issues with line arrays, regarding polar response etc.

Only for ceiling mounting purposes is why I am looking at line array.

Not sure what you mean by "point source" speaker.

The Danley looks good.

John L Nobile

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 03:11:54 PM »

The Danley looks good.

I have the same problem. I'm old school and still miss my Martin "Phillishave" system. Danley gave me my fix and I'm now back to being a normal working person in society.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 04:21:00 PM »

The Danley looks good.

Sounds GOOD too!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Henderson

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 04:36:11 PM »

I have the same problem. I'm old school and still miss my Martin "Phillishave" system. Danley gave me my fix and I'm now back to being a normal working person in society.

Glad you got yours sorted! Can you tell me if yours is ceiling mounted or on top of your sub please?

I had thought many times of facing not only the tops but especially the bass towards the wall as the best bass for me is the bass I hear at the sides and back of the subs. Only reason I never tried it was I don't know if doing this would cause any damage to the woofers.

Regarding facing the tops towards the wall I can try that.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 04:36:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.