ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro Sound Amps & Subs  (Read 6330 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Pro Sound Amps & Subs
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 11:46:13 AM »

Ok, I see this is a forum where people who know more than others like to smack talk  ;D, I'm grown & can handle it. Yes Tim that's my name, shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, are you saying you can not bridge two 1600w amps to make 3200w  & run them as Mono (Left/Right)??? Pls & tnx.
No, this is a forum were real first and last names are required.  Yours is just different enough that it raised a question of authenticity (attempts at gaming the forum's real name policy happen routinely).  I'm sure you're mature enough to handle that, eh?

Your question was not clear as to your intended hook up.  You can use 2 amplifiers, bridged or otherwise, send them the same signal and power subs and place those subs anywhere you think they belong.

What you cannot do is join 2 separate amplifier's outputs *together* and connect them to a load.

Whether or not your amps are sufficiently "large enough" depends on your program material and how you intend to use the system.  We are still waiting to learn those so we can advise further.

You may not realize it but you're receiving help from 3 people (so far) who have over a century of *professional* audio experience between them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 12:52:17 PM »

What you cannot do is join 2 separate amplifier's outputs *together* and connect them to a load.

For a while I hypothesised that you could get a pair of MA5002VZs, put each one in parallel mono, drive one reversed polarity to the other, take signal across the output terminals, and have a single-channel 6U, heavy, 10KW@2ohm amplifier.
Never got around to testing that, though.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 04:25:43 PM »

For a while I hypothesised that you could get a pair of MA5002VZs, put each one in parallel mono, drive one reversed polarity to the other, take signal across the output terminals, and have a single-channel 6U, heavy, 10KW@2ohm amplifier.

Chris

I'll be fixing a nice tea.  Let me know when to put up the blast shield. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 07:51:37 PM »

Chris

Crown got close with their MA 10,000

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 07:50:19 AM »

Chris

These days you could do that with a Powersoft X4L. It's 10.000W/channel with asymmetrical loads.
Or 8200W/2ohm per channel with all channels driven.
 8)

Iyah Kush

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 10:29:09 AM »

Here is a very good source of information from Crown Amplification.  Much better than me trying to put it into words...

https://www.crownaudio.com/how-much-amplifier-power

Steve.

Much thanks Steve  ;)

Iyah Kush

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 10:50:10 AM »

No, this is a forum were real first and last names are required.  Yours is just different enough that it raised a question of authenticity (attempts at gaming the forum's real name policy happen routinely).  I'm sure you're mature enough to handle that, eh?

Your question was not clear as to your intended hook up.  You can use 2 amplifiers, bridged or otherwise, send them the same signal and power subs and place those subs anywhere you think they belong.

Whether or not your amps are sufficiently "large enough" depends on your program material and how you intend to use the system.  We are still waiting to learn those so we can advise further.

You may not realize it but you're receiving help from 3 people (so far) who have over a century of *professional* audio experience between them.

Thanks for the advice, the question was straight forward, it's was just your interpretation. I can read hence knowing 3 people are helping me with my initial question about BRIDGING 2 amps & not connecting two outputs that would by stupid now. Although I respect the knowledge that is held it doesn't make you anymore special then I, oneself likewise. Nothing suspect around here my names just different from your usual, yah know.  #ReggaeMusic 

Iyah Kush

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 10:57:47 AM »

These days you could do that with a Powersoft X4L. It's 10.000W/channel with asymmetrical loads.
Or 8200W/2ohm per channel with all channels driven.
 8)

Thank you for your advice Helge, I will bookmark this & take into consideration but it's a lil out of my budget right now. Tnx again

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 12:04:53 PM »

An ideal match is having about 1.5 x more RMS power than the speaker power handling.
However, those Pro Sound 1600 amps are more like 400 watt RMS. I wouldn't be happy using one in bridge mode (or at all actually!).

Steve.
Also what is the model of the subs?  Are they actually 1000 watts each, or is that "DJ watts".  What is the impedance?

YES, as we all know, details MATTER
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 12:07:04 PM »

Crown got close with their MA 10,000
I thought the 10K was around 8000 watts (real power) at 0.5 ohms or something like that
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 12:07:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.