ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Lime Arrays that advertise digital steering. How does this actually work ?  (Read 10044 times)

Mal Brown

I'm just curious.

Thx!
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand

That type of array works best in segments, it makes it easier to use digital manipulation to squeeze the output into a defined area (eg glass atrium).  :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 09:20:23 PM by Jonathan Goodall »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ

I'm just curious.

Thx!

I believe it's a mix of all-pass filters, delay shading, gain shading, and some drivers out of phase to actively "kill" lobes. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Landon Lewsaw

That type of array works best in segments, it makes it easier to use digital manipulation to squeeze the output into a defined area (eg glass atrium).  :)

Lemon arrays are the next big thing...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

I'm just curious.

Thx!

A whole lime would be a lime array, as the individual segments make up the whole. ;)

But there are 3 vertical arrays that use electronics to move things - EAW's ANYA/ANNA, Martin's MLA, and d&b's G/K SL series.  Each implements time, amplitude and equalization in different ways to achieve their end result.

I'm reasonably certain that all of the manufacturers have white papers or other discussion of their technology...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio

A whole lime would be a lime array, as the individual segments make up the whole. ;)

But there are 3 vertical arrays that use electronics to move things - EAW's ANYA/ANNA, Martin's MLA, and d&b's G/K SL series.  Each implements time, amplitude and equalization in different ways to achieve their end result.

I'm reasonably certain that all of the manufacturers have white papers or other discussion of their technology...

Don’t forget nearly every steerable column speaker. Renkus Heinz Iconyx is the biggest player but there are many others.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Don’t forget nearly every steerable column speaker. Renkus Heinz Iconyx is the biggest player but there are many others.

Would those be the lemon arrays that Landon was mentioning? 8)

It's getting kind of citrus-y in here...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

The steerable columns I have worked with (Tannoy & Intellavox) were only "steerable" in the vertical pattern, and the control software lets say needed some streamlining!

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.

Gsl/ksl is «steering on top of a connentional linearray». You can optimize it a bit, but it has it’s limits. You still need to calculate and pin it as a conventional system.
MLA/WP from Martin can be used as a «conventional» line array, but can be optimimized with great results. Still have to calc an pin it as a conventional system, but you can optimize coverage afterwards with great results.
EAW Adaptive can’t be used as a conventional line array, it has to be steered and has the most impressive performance I’ve ever used. Martin get’s close, but Adaptive can do some coverage stuff that’s amazing. Adaptive goes up at 0 degrees, you can fly it and adjust coverage afterwards. Huge time saver, a qualified rigger and stage hands can fly a system hours before you arrive to adjust trim levels and set coverage.

A friend of mine did audience sound for a tv show, live bands in an aircraft hangar.
During rehersal the tv bus called him on coms and asked when he’s going to turn on the PA. They couldn’t hear the bleed like they used to.

Disclamer: I haven’t personally used GSL/Anya, but I’ve used the other systems several times.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:40:47 AM by Helge A Bentsen »

Peter Morris

I'm just curious.

Thx!

In its simplest form beam steering is done with delay. It can provide a virtually curve to the array as shown below, hence steer the sound.

As I understand EAW Anaya works more or like this as does their first version of this technology the DSA250. They also included a lot of addition features to ensure even optimized coverage across the audience area.

Systems such as Martin’s MLA, D&B array processing and AFMG’s FIR maker are slightly different. They are not really beam steering protocols.

They require the array to be physically curved, but optimize the performance on the listening plane.  They look at the vectors that describe the 3D performance of the drivers/speaker at all frequencies.– see one set of 3kHz vectors represented graphically below.

By modifying the delay, amplitude and phase of individual drivers or speakers you can optimise the arrivals on the listening plain.  This is done with some cleaver mathematical optimization algorithms that eventually generate a set of FIR filter tap coefficients. These are loaded in to the systems processors.

Given this amount of control they have with this approach they can also do limited beam steering.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 05:16:39 AM by Peter Morris »

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Lime Arrays that advertise digital steering. How does this actually work ?
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 04:35:02 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.