ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: More VRX help needed  (Read 5947 times)

Eddie Ybarra

More VRX help needed
« on: June 21, 2019, 08:36:35 PM »

Hi guys so I’m back with more questions about the dreaded VRX hf. So I took a look at the house eq on the DriveRack 260 and there are cuts around 2k and 5k seems logical right. Then I took look at the graphic eq on the m32 and things got interesting, everything from 600 and up was cut by 5 or 6 dB. Also 400 and 200 were pretty much taken out as well. So would that explain the “hollow” sound I’m getting from the rig? It’s a 3 aside rig btw powered with xti6002 one box per channel. My question is what would be some ideal frequencies to cut cause cutting all of them doesn’t seem cut it haha

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: More VRX help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 09:21:05 PM »

Hi guys so I’m back with more questions about the dreaded VRX hf. So I took a look at the house eq on the DriveRack 260 and there are cuts around 2k and 5k seems logical right. Then I took look at the graphic eq on the m32 and things got interesting, everything from 600 and up was cut by 5 or 6 dB. Also 400 and 200 were pretty much taken out as well. So would that explain the “hollow” sound I’m getting from the rig? It’s a 3 aside rig btw powered with xti6002 one box per channel. My question is what would be some ideal frequencies to cut cause cutting all of them doesn’t seem cut it haha

I'd start with everything flat, then EQ from the DriveRack or M32. Not both.
If you see other boards being used, EQ from the DriveRack. Period.
That 5 or 6db cut across the range is loosing a shitload of gain, never mind the added distortion. Was there a specific reason for this?
Better check the XTi's too. Is any processing being done there too?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Eddie Ybarra

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 01:01:47 AM »

Im not sure about the whole graphic eq thing, nothing is being done in the XTI's, all processing is being done in the dr260 which is just high pass for tops and low pass for subs and time alignment. Has anyone used the tunings for the VRX in the XTI 2 amps, would gain anything for them?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 03:02:28 AM »

Im not sure about the whole graphic eq thing, nothing is being done in the XTI's, all processing is being done in the dr260 which is just high pass for tops and low pass for subs and time alignment. Has anyone used the tunings for the VRX in the XTI 2 amps, would gain anything for them?

Presumably there is some form of protective limiting but I haven't looked to confirm.  IIRC the rest is the basic crossover functions.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 04:09:36 AM »

That 5 or 6db cut across the range is loosing a shitload of gain, never mind the added distortion. Was there a specific reason for this?
Better check the XTi's too. Is any processing being done there too?
Chris.

5-6dB of gain isn't a big deal unless you're having to redline the mixer. Where is the extra distortion coming from?

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 01:29:05 PM »

FWIW this is a screen cap of the EQ required in the DSP of a Lab Gruppen 2400 to flatten a pair of VRX on a sub pole when measured with Smaart at ten feet on axis with the lower box. The high end roll off was a low pass of 16K in the crossover to flatten the excessive 16k peak in the drivers.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 01:39:55 PM »

How are the switches on the back of the speakers set?

I've found the +3 "long throw" setting is like sticking an ice pick in your ears.

Eddie Ybarra

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 04:35:00 PM »

I have seen the M32 redline on bass drum hits and also trying to get the vocals sit in the mix. The switches on the back iirc are top is +3 middle flat bottom -3. When I flattened out the graphic eq on the board a little I definitely got back a fair amount of clarity of the overall mix. The next thing I wanna take a swing at is the amps, so on paper the xti6002 pretty much aperfect match for the VRX. So the knobs are pulled back a bit at the same time I feel I’m running the board a little hot and clipping it maybe half show. So obviously just run the amps wide open right but with out the VRX tuning loaded in the amp and I haven’t seen how the dr260 limiter is set up, I’m still scared I’m gonna blow something up. Has anyone used VRXs with out any Dsp?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 10:56:47 AM »

Generally, boxes will tell you they're in pain before they stop working. Seems to me like your gain structure needs looking at - clipping the desk because the amps are attenuated isn't the way to do it.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 12:21:40 PM »

Generally, boxes will tell you they're in pain before they stop working. Seems to me like your gain structure needs looking at - clipping the desk because the amps are attenuated isn't the way to do it.

Chris

It sounds to me l like there isn't Enough Rig for the Gig®.  I suspect if the console is being driven that hard it's likely the amp inputs are being clipped even if the amp outputs are not clipping.  I'd guess the console outputs are within 3dB of clip, too.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 12:21:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.