ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What is A Ribbon Driver  (Read 6642 times)

Peter Morris

Re: What is A Ribbon Driver
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 08:21:09 AM »

Lower distortion but lower power handling..?
Which is it?

The Beyma PDF was interesting, although I'm dubious about their multi-tone testing. The compression driver was putting out ~10dB more below 2kHz, so I wouldn't consider it a fair comparison.

Chris

Beyma have a new driver with better efficiency and power handling - TPL200H https://www.beyma.com/getpdf.php?pid=TPL-200/H  ... as I said they are getting better :-)

I actually built a line array using these drivers - and the distortion is defiantly lower and their multi-tone performance is also better, and the impulse response is excellent.

Here is a similar speaker made by EM Accoustics http://www.emacoustics.co.uk/docs/products/HALO-C.shtml  - they use these drivers http://www.mundorf.com/PDF/EN_ProAMT_RAH_JT_Cinema_EN_Print_Final.pdf

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 12:20:47 PM »

For home audio/theater use, perhaps.  For Live Concert audio, I don't think so.

Dave

The Versarray system sounds great, not good for rock show volumes unfortunately. We've had a group bring in 4 per side in our 1200 seater, did the job just fine.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 12:36:31 PM »

Beyma have a new driver with better efficiency and power handling - TPL200H https://www.beyma.com/getpdf.php?pid=TPL-200/H  ... as I said they are getting better :-)

Cool!

Question - how do they compare with the BMS coaxials?
I'm currently running some decent compression drivers (18Sound ND1460), but always looking for the next step up in quality.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Peter Morris

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 07:04:29 PM »

Cool!

Question - how do they compare with the BMS coaxials?
I'm currently running some decent compression drivers (18Sound ND1460), but always looking for the next step up in quality.

Chris

The ND1460 is a very good compression driver.  I believe the new ND3 and ND4015 series are better, as is the BMS 4594 and 4594HE etc..  The advantage with the BMS is that it will go quite low but still has excellent VHF reproduction.

The BMS has relatively high second harmonic distortion, but the critical 3rd harmonic is very low and as a result it sounds very nice.

In comparison to the BMS (and the 18sound drivers), the TPL's sound better - BUT - they have no where near the SPL capabilities, don't go below about 1000Hz and the vertical directivity is very narrow at high frequencies, which is great for a line array but a little limiting for some other applications.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:08:24 PM by Peter Morris »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 01:38:57 AM »

The Versarray system sounds great, not good for rock show volumes unfortunately. We've had a group bring in 4 per side in our 1200 seater, did the job just fine.

I heard a Versarray rig 12, maybe 13 years ago on the daytime mobile stage with OzzFest.  I think Hate Breed was the closing act on the stage and we had a show with them a couple days earlier so I had some idea of the presentation.  Screaming SPL at FOH.  Talked to the system guy as he and the crew packed it all up.  He was going through 3 ribbons a week with 18 boxes.  Easy replacement, I was told.  Frankly they were getting flogged hard and Peavey had tweaked the drive parameters for this rig with an eye to survival.  The Versarray subs were kick-ass.

There are plenty of non-metal gigs where the Versarray line might be okay but to really make it work right you need "amp channel per pass band" and DSP for every 2 boxes in the array.  There are enough competing products that take care of the EQ and drive level changes with internal amplification, and the result is less money than Versarray.  Versarray can sound very good but it comes with a price tag greater than the lightning bolt logo implies.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Peter Morris

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 03:25:19 AM »

I heard a Versarray rig 12, maybe 13 years ago on the daytime mobile stage with OzzFest.  I think Hate Breed was the closing act on the stage and we had a show with them a couple days earlier so I had some idea of the presentation.  Screaming SPL at FOH.  Talked to the system guy as he and the crew packed it all up.  He was going through 3 ribbons a week with 18 boxes.  Easy replacement, I was told.  Frankly they were getting flogged hard and Peavey had tweaked the drive parameters for this rig with an eye to survival.  The Versarray subs were kick-ass.

There are plenty of non-metal gigs where the Versarray line might be okay but to really make it work right you need "amp channel per pass band" and DSP for every 2 boxes in the array.  There are enough competing products that take care of the EQ and drive level changes with internal amplification, and the result is less money than Versarray.  Versarray can sound very good but it comes with a price tag greater than the lightning bolt logo implies.

The Versarray used a 20W driver made by Fountek (I think ?) ...soo I'm not surprised.

https://www.parts-express.com/peavey-rd-16-versarray-ribbon-tweeter-7-ohm--299-465

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 01:56:01 PM »

I'd hate to be replacing drivers every week, that sounds like a case of round hole square peg.

In our case, he was using the VSX48 and some Yamaha amps, for 1000 grey hairs it was an ideal rig.

The Versarray Sub is definitely the strong point of the line.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 02:13:08 PM »

I'd hate to be replacing drivers every week, that sounds like a case of round hole square peg.

In our case, he was using the VSX48 and some Yamaha amps, for 1000 grey hairs it was an ideal rig.

The Versarray Sub is definitely the strong point of the line.

The Vue Audiotechnik's have beryllium ribbon drivers.  One of the other shops in town is all Vue and there rigs sound pretty damn good.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Justin Myers

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »

I have a Versarray MK 2 system that I used for years including Rock shows without losing any ribbons. It did however have the RD2.6 ribbon which I think the RBN series have as well.

Brian Charbobs

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 08:18:43 PM »

I have a Versarray MK 2 system that I used for years including Rock shows without losing any ribbons. It did however have the RD2.6 ribbon which I think the RBN series have as well.
Lots of info here, I had no idea about these ribbon drivers, you guys are all over it, thanks for the feedback and the knowledge you have on this topic.
Do you recommended the Peavey RBN speakers then?
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 08:18:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 23 queries.