ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Siamese Cables - XLR, IEC - Small Diameter  (Read 3292 times)

TomBoisseau

Siamese Cables - XLR, IEC - Small Diameter
« on: August 02, 2018, 08:57:50 AM »

I've seen plenty of Siamese cables with XLR's and IEC connectors, but I have been unable to find a source of "small diameter" cables of this sort.  The ones I've been finding are about 3/4" in diameter.

I noticed when working with an equipment package from PRG that they had small diameter siamese cables (howbeit with Powercons) however even my contact at PRG didn't seem to know where they came from.

Anyone have any suggestions?  If need be I can always change out the powercon connectors to IEC.

Thanks,
Tom

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Siamese Cables - XLR, IEC - Small Diameter
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »

I don't understand what you want to end up with.
Cables to Go has lots of power cord variations.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

TomBoisseau

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 09:25:52 PM »

I don't understand what you want to end up with.
Cables to Go has lots of power cord variations.

Like this, but with a smaller diameter cable / jacket.

It will be for use with some QSC K8's.

Rick Scofield

• SF Bay Area
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »

I have the same wish.  I have a few ProCo and others and they all have super clunky thick outer insulation.

I venture a guess that it’s to maintain some sort of rating. Mixing the “high” voltage with signal level in a single sheath requires care to prevent the possibility of the bigger voltage getting into the signal “line level”.

I’m not eloquently explaining it, but like I said, I too would love for there to be a factory-made, not ridiculously priced, Siamese cable that has more reasonable overall diameter.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 11:26:07 PM »

I have the same wish.  I have a few ProCo and others and they all have super clunky thick outer insulation.

I venture a guess that it’s to maintain some sort of rating. Mixing the “high” voltage with signal level in a single sheath requires care to prevent the possibility of the bigger voltage getting into the signal “line level”.

I’m not eloquently explaining it, but like I said, I too would love for there to be a factory-made, not ridiculously priced, Siamese cable that has more reasonable overall diameter.

Yes, it's very likely a Code or UL standard (or both) that requires a "cable assembly" to have a marked rating based on the least-rated cable in the assembly.  If the XLR jacket is good for 30V, that's gonna be the rating marked on the out jacket of the Siamese assembly.  There is a post in the AC Power and Grounding forum about a similar data/AC cable from Whirlwind.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,166866.0.html
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 12:01:37 AM »

I've seen plenty of Siamese cables with XLR's and IEC connectors, but I have been unable to find a source of "small diameter" cables of this sort.  The ones I've been finding are about 3/4" in diameter.

I noticed when working with an equipment package from PRG that they had small diameter siamese cables (howbeit with Powercons) however even my contact at PRG didn't seem to know where they came from.

Anyone have any suggestions?  If need be I can always change out the powercon connectors to IEC.

Thanks,
Tom

Eurocable CVS LKSPKAL1, LKSPKAL2 and LKSPKAL3 are the smallest of this type that I know of.  10.5mm, 11.6mm and 12.4mm respectively.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:13:27 AM by Mac Kerr »

Mark Dawson

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 07:17:39 AM »

Proel do a fairly small flexible one,  in comparison to the music hose you showed in your pic.   I’ll measure and get you a pic tomorrow :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Levi

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 05:41:35 AM »

Sommer Cable do this https://www.thomann.de/gb/sommer_cable_monolith_1_compact_combi_cable.htm

9.5mm OD, conductors 3x1.5mm power and 2x0.14mm signal + screen.

TomBoisseau

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 09:23:54 AM »

Thanks for the responces.

I believe the Eurocable or Sommer cable is what I want, however I'd like to find it preassembled and in the USA.

Tom

Mal Brown

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »

Not to be a wise@ass. But why not buy a decent stringer and assemble a few quad boxes ?  I have up to 7 K12’s and 10’ deployed as monitors doing small stuff with a self powered rig.

A stringer makes it easy... particularly when combined with a sub snake that has some returns on it.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 24 queries.