ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lapel (lavalier) mic  (Read 4886 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Lapel (lavalier) mic
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 01:39:55 PM »

Understood.  Thank you, guys.  One last question.  Let's say the preacher is using the lapel (and the handheld mic is turned off).  If I mistakenly mute the lapel channel and un-mute the regular channel, I will still get sound, correct.  It will just be the wrong channel. 

I guess what I'm asking is:  We will need to be sure that we mute whichever channel he's not using, correct?

PMJI...

I think a few things have gotten lost along the way as we've caught up with what you want to accomplish and your resources available to get there.

First let me sum up, and let me know if i am mistaken.

You want to add a Lav mic for your preacher  You want to KEEP the handheld he/she is currently using available as well.  You want to make this as simple as possible for the soundboard operators.

You're not terribly concerned about additional cost.

In this scenario, what you are going to want to do is buy an entire RF Mic package.  This will include the mic element [WL185/4 is a great choice], a beltpack transmitter, and a receiver [QLXD is also a great choice].  You will set that transmitter/receiver to a frequency that is NOT in use .  You will plug that receiver into an unused channel in your mixer.  You will EQ that channel to suit the Lav mic.

BOTH transmitters will remain powered on during the speaking portion.  The preacher will have the choice of using the handheld, OR the Lav mic.  Whichever they choose, that channel will need to be turned on on your mixer.  It is not recommended that you use both at the same time, although it probably won't be a disaster.  That is, if the preacher has the handheld, use that channel.  If he/she sets it down, turn on the Lav.

Hopefully this helps clarify things for you.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »

You absolutely want to be sure to mute whichever channel he is not using. If you split the channel and have both the lapel channel and handheld channel you will get sound no matter which channel is on. If he is using the lav, and you have the handheld channel on that sound might not be the quality or level you want since the channel gain and EQ is set for the handheld.

If you are truly worried about these things, I would recommend a completely separate wireless system for the lav mic. No splitting would be necessary, no issues with 2 transmitters and 1 receiver, etc.

~Dave

Good point.  Thank you.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 01:46:44 PM »

PMJI...

I think a few things have gotten lost along the way as we've caught up with what you want to accomplish and your resources available to get there.

First let me sum up, and let me know if i am mistaken.

You want to add a Lav mic for your preacher  You want to KEEP the handheld he/she is currently using available as well.  You want to make this as simple as possible for the soundboard operators.

You're not terribly concerned about additional cost.

In this scenario, what you are going to want to do is buy an entire RF Mic package.  This will include the mic element [WL185/4 is a great choice], a beltpack transmitter, and a receiver [QLXD is also a great choice].  You will set that transmitter/receiver to a frequency that is NOT in use .  You will plug that receiver into an unused channel in your mixer.  You will EQ that channel to suit the Lav mic.

BOTH transmitters will remain powered on during the speaking portion.  The preacher will have the choice of using the handheld, OR the Lav mic.  Whichever they choose, that channel will need to be turned on on your mixer.  It is not recommended that you use both at the same time, although it probably won't be a disaster.  That is, if the preacher has the handheld, use that channel.  If he/she sets it down, turn on the Lav.

Hopefully this helps clarify things for you.

Brian - I think you nailed it.  Except for one thing: we already have several QLX receivers.  I was trying to see if I could add the lapel to one of the receivers that I already have.  To save some cost.

Thank you for your reply.  Very clear and great info.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 02:36:21 PM »

Brian - I think you nailed it.  Except for one thing: we already have several QLX receivers.  I was trying to see if I could add the lapel to one of the receivers that I already have.  To save some cost.

Thank you for your reply.  Very clear and great info.

If you have an unused receiver, you can absolutely just purchase a transmitter and Lav element.  Just make sure they are in the same "frequency band" as your current receivers.  They come in several different ranges, so you want to make sure they match.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 06:19:41 PM »

I guess what I'm asking is:  We will need to be sure that we mute whichever channel he's not using, correct?
If you split the channel, yes.

If he doesn’t require separate processing for each type of mic, then it wouldn’t matter.

FYI: with the QLXDs (and ULXDs, not sure about Axient), you can set the Mic Offset on each beltpack and handheld separately, meaning you can compensate for the differences in gain between the two mic types due to proximity to the pastor’s mouth.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 07:18:13 PM »

If you can afford it and assuming you have enough mixer channels, get a separate system like Brian suggests.  I have shared lavaliers and handhelds-when these things are an issue-but ONLY when I had control of the mics or had an assistant whose job was helping with sound that could make sure only one mic at a time was turned on.  If you leave that up to someone on the platform, you will eventually wind up with both mics on-or no mics on.

In a HOW setting, my preference is to "train" those on the platform to leave the mic switches alone- I turn them on before the service and off afterwards.  You are far less likely to have a "dead" mic that way.  Occasionally, we will have a guest speaker that gets mic's ahead of time-I hand him the mic turned on.  Of course, there can be privacy issues walking around with a transmitting mic, but I figure if he wants to, he can shut it off and then it is on him to turn it back on.

If you leave the handheld and the lavalier-or even the pulpit and lavalier-both on, there very likely will be some interference between the mics.

I prefer mic issues to be in my hand-not someone who is not focusing on the sound system.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:34:05 PM by Stephen Swaffer »
Steve Swaffer

Thomas Le

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 11:07:54 PM »

Not the answer you're looking for, but I dumped my lav stock for headworn and never looked back. Shure MX153 performs ok for a cheaper countryman e6 alternative. Beta 53 is bulky but it's durable. There's DPA but that's $$$.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 12:36:47 PM »

Do you really want a lav? A mic that gets clipped to the wearers clothing? Or does he want to not have to hold a mic in his hands? In other words does he want to have his hands free? Do you already have head worn mics? Or have any experience with them? Has this been recommended to the preacher?

I haven’t kept up with all of you posts so I don’t know all of what you are dealing with. But from what I have read it sounds like the preacher may be the type to walk out in front of the speakers. There are multiple issues when you switch to a lav. Even if you have a well-tuned and well behaving sound system you will not get the same results with a lav as you will with a handheld mic.  And if you don’t have a well-tuned and well behaving sound system and also know how to properly EQ a Lav you will have problems. 

Mic placement is an issue with a Lav. Also the relationship of the mouth of the preacher to the Lav is an issue. And if he is holding a book (usually a Bible) that will interact with the Lav and his mouth and if he looks down to read it while holding it at his chest it will be an issue. The type of clothing can also be an issue. Lavs for live sound are best put on the tie (so it is central to his head movement) and there is a trick to placement on a male as compared to a female.

I have had a lot of experience with Lavs and I have had excellent results with them, but I personally would prefer a head worn (usually ear worn mic) over a Lav. The head worn mic will usually remain at a consistent distance to the preacher’s mouth (when fitted properly) giving a more consistent sound.

I did some work in one church where the preacher wanted to be hands free for the evening bible study he teaches. But for the Sunday preaching he has excellent mic technique, he knows how to play the mic in relation to how he is speaking. So I encouraged him to keep doing what he was doing for Sundays.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 03:25:34 PM »

Do you really want a lav? A mic that gets clipped to the wearers clothing? Or does he want to not have to hold a mic in his hands? In other words does he want to have his hands free? Do you already have head worn mics? Or have any experience with them? Has this been recommended to the preacher?

I haven’t kept up with all of you posts so I don’t know all of what you are dealing with. But from what I have read it sounds like the preacher may be the type to walk out in front of the speakers. There are multiple issues when you switch to a lav. Even if you have a well-tuned and well behaving sound system you will not get the same results with a lav as you will with a handheld mic.  And if you don’t have a well-tuned and well behaving sound system and also know how to properly EQ a Lav you will have problems. 

Mic placement is an issue with a Lav. Also the relationship of the mouth of the preacher to the Lav is an issue. And if he is holding a book (usually a Bible) that will interact with the Lav and his mouth and if he looks down to read it while holding it at his chest it will be an issue. The type of clothing can also be an issue. Lavs for live sound are best put on the tie (so it is central to his head movement) and there is a trick to placement on a male as compared to a female.

I have had a lot of experience with Lavs and I have had excellent results with them, but I personally would prefer a head worn (usually ear worn mic) over a Lav. The head worn mic will usually remain at a consistent distance to the preacher’s mouth (when fitted properly) giving a more consistent sound.

I did some work in one church where the preacher wanted to be hands free for the evening bible study he teaches. But for the Sunday preaching he has excellent mic technique, he knows how to play the mic in relation to how he is speaking. So I encouraged him to keep doing what he was doing for Sundays.

Really great info.  Thanks for posting.  I'll respond in the order you posted...

We aren't necesarily set on a lav.  He will be open to any of my suggestions.

I know nothing about lav mics or head-word mics.  I can see how the lav can be problematic with the movement of the head, clothing, a swinging tie, etc. 

What is the trick for placing a lav on a male?

If we went with a head (or ear) worn mike, what are some of the better options out there?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 05:07:20 PM »

If we went with a head (or ear) worn mike, what are some of the better options out there?

The DPA d:fine is the best, discrete headworn mic available.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 05:07:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.