ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro series ipad control problems  (Read 5541 times)

Tom Woodhead

Midas Pro series ipad control problems
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:53:12 AM »

Hi all,

For the last five years I've been pretty much exclusively mastering, but have recently started doing FOH sound again (after doing it pretty much full-time during my 20s) for a particular band.

We've been touring various venues and I'm having a devil of a time getting my iPad Air 1 to connect to the consoles we've encountered. I've chosen to ask about the Pro series as we encountered it last weekend, and will do so again in a few days, but I think the problem is actually something to do with my iPad - at the gig last weekend, which housed a Pro1, the house engineer's iPad Mini connected to the Pro1 fine (using Mixtender 2), but my iPad Air 1 repeatedly timed out while attempting to connect.

We were both running the latest version of Mixtender 2, and I could connect to the wireless network fine, so I'm guessing that the problem lies with my iPad. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be? I can't imagine it's a physical fault as I have never had any problems browsing the internet etc on this iPad. Is there some setting or other that I perhaps have to change?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
Re: Midas Pro series ipad control problems
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 10:11:53 AM »

Hi all,

For the last five years I've been pretty much exclusively mastering, but have recently started doing FOH sound again (after doing it pretty much full-time during my 20s) for a particular band.

We've been touring various venues and I'm having a devil of a time getting my iPad Air 1 to connect to the consoles we've encountered. I've chosen to ask about the Pro series as we encountered it last weekend, and will do so again in a few days, but I think the problem is actually something to do with my iPad - at the gig last weekend, which housed a Pro1, the house engineer's iPad Mini connected to the Pro1 fine (using Mixtender 2), but my iPad Air 1 repeatedly timed out while attempting to connect.

We were both running the latest version of Mixtender 2, and I could connect to the wireless network fine, so I'm guessing that the problem lies with my iPad. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be? I can't imagine it's a physical fault as I have never had any problems browsing the internet etc on this iPad. Is there some setting or other that I perhaps have to change?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

This video helped me out when connecting to my pro 1 for the first time.

https://youtu.be/5uHP-Z-jtc8?list=PLL_oS7Hu-Ti9DnzLXQLJBXrn5DySzigQY

Todd Friemuth

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 07:08:16 AM »

I had the exact same issue last summer at a little local fest I was covering for someone. I had a PRO2 out front and the patch guy was supposed to do monitors off my personal iPad 2. For the life of me, I couldn't get Mixtender2 to connect. It would see the console, but then just kept timing out. I tried everything I could think of and burned up so much time dicking with it that I ended up having to give up and spin up 5 stereo ear mixes from out front.

I get back to the shop the following week and set up my own Pro2 and can't connect to mine either. (I had never even tried to use Mixtender2. I just had the app on my iPad knowing that someone else was going to drive it.) Anyway, I finally went into "Settings"/"General"/scroll all the way down to "Reset"/"Reset Network Settings" and bingo it connected and I've never had an issue since. It was something wacky in my iPad2 that just needed to be reset.

Maybe try that and see if you have better luck.

Jack Arnott

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 11:16:11 AM »

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Tom

I have had problems with my iPad, and a mini Midas. The 18channel head with no surface. It would connect fine, but start getting more and more latency, the closer to gig time. This was in a very small space, my living room, for house concerts. Then when I used it for a real show, it shut down entirely. Worked fine after the gig was over.

Turned out that any cell phone in the area was putting a load on the wireless. I had to go directly out of the stage head, into a wireless router that has a hidden (SSL?) network. This way, only devices that actively knew to look for the wireless could see it, and no others could put a load on it.

Tom Woodhead

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:30:43 AM »

I had the exact same issue last summer at a little local fest I was covering for someone. I had a PRO2 out front and the patch guy was supposed to do monitors off my personal iPad 2. For the life of me, I couldn't get Mixtender2 to connect. It would see the console, but then just kept timing out. I tried everything I could think of and burned up so much time dicking with it that I ended up having to give up and spin up 5 stereo ear mixes from out front.

I get back to the shop the following week and set up my own Pro2 and can't connect to mine either. (I had never even tried to use Mixtender2. I just had the app on my iPad knowing that someone else was going to drive it.) Anyway, I finally went into "Settings"/"General"/scroll all the way down to "Reset"/"Reset Network Settings" and bingo it connected and I've never had an issue since. It was something wacky in my iPad2 that just needed to be reset.

Maybe try that and see if you have better luck.

Thanks, Todd; that's a great suggestion. This morning I decided to completely wipe the iPad and reinstall all my apps, which I imagine should (hopefully) achieve the same thing, but I'll definitely give this a try if the problem rears its ugly head again.

I'm mixing on a Pro2 this Friday/Saturday, so I'll report back and let you all know how it goes.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:30:43 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.