ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Load in day 1  (Read 8490 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Load in day 1
« on: January 28, 2018, 07:12:22 PM »

This is not even a work day for me, my call is 8am tomorrow, but I thought I'd check out the venue as rigging and sound load in. I'll be doing TV comms starting tomorrow when we can start pulling fiber and cable. Today for sound is getting all the big pieces in place so we don't have to move anything big once lighting loads in and fills every available space including aisles and lobby. I also wanted to negotiate the space where I'll set up by programming stations and the shelves or shoe bags to hold and distribute the 36 RF comm packs. I'll also be interfacing 14-20 RTS KP32 panels to the truck over an OptoCore intercom fiber network and 25pr analog telco cable. (So far 8 over fiber 6 over telco, I still have 6 more available for "oh by the way")

Mac

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Load in day 1
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 08:10:36 PM »

This is not even a work day for me, my call is 8am tomorrow, but I thought I'd check out the venue as rigging and sound load in. I'll be doing TV comms starting tomorrow when we can start pulling fiber and cable. Today for sound is getting all the big pieces in place so we don't have to move anything big once lighting loads in and fills every available space including aisles and lobby. I also wanted to negotiate the space where I'll set up by programming stations and the shelves or shoe bags to hold and distribute the 36 RF comm packs. I'll also be interfacing 14-20 RTS KP32 panels to the truck over an OptoCore intercom fiber network and 25pr analog telco cable. (So far 8 over fiber 6 over telco, I still have 6 more available for "oh by the way")

Mac

Oh man!  I want to come play too!

Sounds like fun.  I don’t know that I’ve ever even SEEN comms over TELCO. Not even sure what that is. 😀
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:10:28 PM »

Sounds like fun.  I don’t know that I’ve ever even SEEN comms over TELCO. Not even sure what that is. 😀

I don't think he means telco lines, it is a 25 pair house cable, standard telco riser.  He can grab pairs to connect 4 wire interfaces.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 10:00:21 PM »

Oh yeah, it exists.  Usually 3rd backup, either ISDN or POTS to NetOps.  Not seen it come up for use in a 25 pair connector - usually RJ11 or binding posts for each line.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 10:41:29 PM »

I don't think he means telco lines, it is a 25 pair house cable, standard telco riser.  He can grab pairs to connect 4 wire interfaces.

Sort of this^^^  RTS Adam panels run on 4W plus data, so it is 3 pairs of 25pr telco cable, broken out to harmonicas from Centronics type connectors. You get eight 3pr connections on RJ12 6W connectors that go to the panel, talk +/-, listen +/-, and control +/-.

The side of the truck has two 25pr outputs from the Adam frame, we run a 250' analog 25pr to the edit trailers for 5 or 6 panels, and the OptoCore intercom fiber system to 2 positions in the theater so we can have 4 panels at FOH, and 4 backstage. We can have up to 8 panels in each location, we just need to get more outputs from the truck.

We also run a 32x32 Rocknet system to get all the actual 4W interfaces into the theater for 12ch of RF comms, 4 RF IFBs, and some program feeds.

We also have an audio network for system control that I use for comms control, and a Lawo network to distribute audio.

The truck does run at least 1 comm via telephone line to talk to the studio in NY. That one is on one of the 12 telephone interfaces in the Adam frame. And Brian knows this because he does it in his truck.

Mac

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 11:32:44 AM »

The truck does run at least 1 comm via telephone line to talk to the studio in NY... And Brian knows this because he does it in his truck.

Mac
You guys talk dirty  ;)..

Neil White

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »

The side of the truck has two 25pr outputs from the Adam frame, we run a 250' analog 25pr to the edit trailers for 5 or 6 panels, and the OptoCore intercom fiber system to 2 positions in the theater so we can have 4 panels at FOH, and 4 backstage. We can have up to 8 panels in each location, we just need to get more outputs from the truck.

We also run a 32x32 Rocknet system to get all the actual 4W interfaces into the theater for 12ch of RF comms, 4 RF IFBs, and some program feeds.

We also have an audio network for system control that I use for comms control, and a Lawo network to distribute audio.

Have you had the chance to try the newer Omneo equipped panels? One of the companies I work with a lot has moved pretty much completely IP based for comms in their newer trucks and fly packs.

What RF comms have you got this year?

brian maddox

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 12:21:44 PM »

Sort of this^^^  RTS Adam panels run on 4W plus data, so it is 3 pairs of 25pr telco cable, broken out to harmonicas from Centronics type connectors. You get eight 3pr connections on RJ12 6W connectors that go to the panel, talk +/-, listen +/-, and control +/-.

The truck does run at least 1 comm via telephone line to talk to the studio in NY. That one is on one of the 12 telephone interfaces in the Adam frame. And Brian knows this because he does it in his truck.

Mac

I actually understand all of this, so i guess i'm making some headway in this larnin' thang.  I came into matrix comm systems fairly recently and started in the Clearcom Eclipse world, which is kind of the ugly stepsister of Matrix world.  So while i understand the concepts, i'm not as familiar with the actual infrastructure used to implement ADAM and Reidel systems.

One question [and it feels like a dumb one but...].  When you say 25-pair TELCO what does that mean exactly?  Is that 25 pairs of twisted copper with no shield, similar to what you would use for traditional telephone lines?  Or does that term refer to something else?  And while i'm asking, what's the standard mult connector that uses?

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

brian maddox

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »

The truck does run at least 1 comm via telephone line to talk to the studio in NY. That one is on one of the 12 telephone interfaces in the Adam frame. And Brian knows this because he does IT in his truck.

Mac

Fixed it for you....  :)

Yeah, i actually don't use a telephone line to get back to master control.  All of our matrix comms are IP based with a Clearcom Eclipse frame located back in our Master Control in DC.  So i connect back to home base using our good friend The Internet.

Like i said, i'm kinda new to the game so i know all the newer IP-based tricks.  I'm just kinda fuzzy on the older, more tried and true, ones...  :)

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 12:50:59 PM »

I actually understand all of this, so i guess i'm making some headway in this larnin' thang.  I came into matrix comm systems fairly recently and started in the Clearcom Eclipse world, which is kind of the ugly stepsister of Matrix world.  So while i understand the concepts, i'm not as familiar with the actual infrastructure used to implement ADAM and Reidel systems.

One question [and it feels like a dumb one but...].  When you say 25-pair TELCO what does that mean exactly?  Is that 25 pairs of twisted copper with no shield, similar to what you would use for traditional telephone lines?  Or does that term refer to something else?  And while i'm asking, what's the standard mult connector that uses?

It's 25 pair but it's not twisted.  It's bundled into 5 color groups for easy splicing and termination. 

Normally it's terminated to a punch block, usually the 66 variety, in new facilities you may find 110 blocks (higher density).

If connectorized they have what is generally called a RJ21 for the USOC designator (telco order code).   It only spells out 48 terminations as they are 4 wire.  Technically all the RJ designators are wiring schemes and not connector specs.  The connector itself is an Amphenol design that was popular on Parallel printers  and as Tim pointed out referred to as a Centronics connector.  The problem is that connector uses a pair of set screws where the telco connector accommodates either 1 screw or bail lock clips.  Modern blocks have a velcro strap to secure the connector.

https://www.siemon.com/e-catalog/ECAT_GI_page.aspx?GI_ID=66_pre-wired-m2-series

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:19:56 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 12:50:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.