ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha Digital console Clock??  (Read 15170 times)

Al Rettich

Re: Yamaha Digital console Clock??
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »

More and more rider's I'm seeing show yamaha consoles with external clocks. I personally don't care, but I'm in the business of making money. Therefore if folks want a external word clock, I'll get one...
So what's wrong with the sound of whatever Yamaha you bought?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 09:23:32 AM »

More and more rider's I'm seeing show yamaha consoles with external clocks. I personally don't care, but I'm in the business of making money. Therefore if folks want a external word clock, I'll get one...

That just shows you that it takes at least a decade to get management to start sending out the correct rider!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 11:45:01 AM »

That's why I said a couple posts above to just buy the Black Lion... $300.  If they want better you can hire it in or they can bring it.

Recently I saw an Avid Profile system with an external clock - and that clock was powered up but not connected to the console... but the BE swore it was needed to made an Avid rig sound acceptable.

This is all silly.  AND it makes me question why/how the BE that specs a clock can be taken seriously as a Mixerperson, because he/she is 'hearing' shit that isn't there.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 01:16:21 PM »

That's why I said a couple posts above to just buy the Black Lion... $300.  If they want better you can hire it in or they can bring it.

Recently I saw an Avid Profile system with an external clock - and that clock was powered up but not connected to the console... but the BE swore it was needed to made an Avid rig sound acceptable.

This is all silly.  AND it makes me question why/how the BE that specs a clock can be taken seriously as a Mixerperson, because he/she is 'hearing' shit that isn't there.

yup...

There've been a few times when i've worked with folks that i had a lot of respect for who swore they heard differences in the 'sound' of various gear that i just didn't hear.  I just figured my ears weren't golden enough.  Bothered me until i realized that people kept calling me and the checks kept clearing so i must be doing Something Right, Golden Ears or no Golden Ears....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »

yup...

There've been a few times when i've worked with folks that i had a lot of respect for who swore they heard differences in the 'sound' of various gear that i just didn't hear.  I just figured my ears weren't golden enough.  Bothered me until i realized that people kept calling me and the checks kept clearing so i must be doing Something Right, Golden Ears or no Golden Ears....
I kind of feel the same way with all these new analog noise and saturation emulation plugins coming on the market. Like all the new Neve stuff on the PM10.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Helmke

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 02:41:12 PM »

I kind of feel the same way with all these new analog noise and saturation emulation plugins coming on the market. Like all the new Neve stuff on the PM10.

People like distortion.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 02:46:28 PM »

People like distortion.
If you are going to promote some new sound as being better, it has to sound different. Modern audio paths are already linear to the limits of our perception, so to sound different you need to introduce errors. (distortion, frequency response, etc).

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 02:55:29 PM »

The Neve thing on the PM10 is an obvious marketing ploy to try to pacify the teeming hordes' deafening cry of "Yamaha consoles sound bad!!!!".  I have no doubt they color the sound.  I have significant doubt that they make it 'better'...

On this subject i again return to my previous point.  I spent years Mixing and System Teching for A and B+ level acts ranging from Symphonys to Motown to Metal to Country to whatever else you want to name.  99 percent of those shows were on Yamaha desks, both analog and digital.  Never once had an audience member tell me the show sounded bad because of 'That crappy Yamaha desk'.  And i've never had someone tell me that they wouldn't use my services again because 'you use those terrible sounding Yamaha desks'. 

Even the local Sound Co. Owner that looked at me like i'd grown a second head when i spec'd his 4K over his XL4 for a symphony job  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Scott Helmke

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 04:45:09 PM »

If you are going to promote some new sound as being better, it has to sound different. Modern audio paths are already linear to the limits of our perception, so to sound different you need to introduce errors. (distortion, frequency response, etc).

JR, knowing what you know about distortion harmonics...

If somebody tells you that brand M sounds "clear and open" and brand Y sounds "muffled", which one is more likely to include some distortion?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 05:00:18 PM »

JR, knowing what you know about distortion harmonics...

If somebody tells you that brand M sounds "clear and open" and brand Y sounds "muffled", which one is more likely to include some distortion?
The old Aural exciter back in the 80s was basically a "distortion generator" that added "sizzle" to the sound.

The basic idea was to have a clean path mixed in with the "variable distortion" path.

The distorted path was basically clipped diodes, run through a high pass filter.

So the only part of the distortion that was added was the upper part.

In those days, systems did not typically go as high in response as they do these days, so that did add "something" different to the sound.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 05:00:18 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 26 queries.