ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Spaltial EQ  (Read 26213 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Spaltial EQ
« on: May 13, 2017, 05:42:10 AM »

Interesting feature in the new Resolution 2 release from EAW:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm4QtIV7IKQ

Looking forward to try this on a gig.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Spaltial EQ
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 08:04:11 AM »

Interesting feature in the new Resolution 2 release from EAW:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm4QtIV7IKQ

Looking forward to try this on a gig.
So how do you "eq the room" when there is no room in the model?

I don't see any walls, ceiling etc.  What about the reflections?  What about room gain?  How is that handled?

THOSE are the things that you can't do anything about-but apparently they don't matter when "eqing the room (that doesn't exist)".  Or maybe I am missing something.

The only way to eq a room is with a wrecking ball.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »

I guess you "eq the room" the same way on any sound system, apply a filter and watch the response change on a analyzer.

I'm not overly concerned by what kind of words one chooses to describe a process, in this case the process of adjusting the frequency response of a sound system.

What I'm interested in with this case is how well the predicted area where the filter is applied matches the area in an actual venue.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »

I guess you "eq the room" the same way on any sound system, apply a filter and watch the response change on a analyzer.

I'm not overly concerned by what kind of words one chooses to describe a process, in this case the process of adjusting the frequency response of a sound system.

What I'm interested in with this case is how well the predicted area where the filter is applied matches the area in an actual venue.

The problem with this is what changes the in room response is reflections, standing Waves and resonances, not all of which are desirable to try and change using eq or fir filtering.  It is this very reason why this is one of the first things they discuss on a SMAART course.  You can at best work out an even coverage, but you are best listening and adjusting to taste.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »

But you ARE NOT changing the room in any way, only the loudspeakers response in the room.

And if the room is causing an issue, then it will change at different seats within the room-even if the loudspeaker has "perfect" even coverage.

I do agree that you can change some of the overall big issues that a room might have-but you STILL ARE NOT EQing the room.  You are simply changing the response within the room.

And that is exactly what we have been doing for years.

Now being able to do some small changes in certain areas over a limited freq range is something new, as opposed to a single loudspeaker that covers the whole area.

HOWEVER-that ability comes with a "price", and I am not just talking dollars.

Very often there are other things that are "simply ignored", but actually happen in the real room.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 12:13:10 PM »

The only way to eq a room is with a wrecking ball.
Ha! Do they make one in "truck pack" dimensions? I'll add it to the packing list...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »

Ha! Do they make one in "truck pack" dimensions? I'll add it to the packing list...

The CAT D9 has been the room EQ of choice for years.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 07:25:01 PM »

sigh  :-\

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »

sigh  :-\

It's a tough room to play, Helge.  I think there is a suspicion of "marketing-speak" from EAW.  Until this EQ claim is investigated and the voodoo is removed I wouldn't expect to see acceptance of the manufacturer's claim by the LAB users.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 08:25:07 PM »

It's a tough room to play, Helge.  I think there is a suspicion of "marketing-speak" from EAW.  Until this EQ claim is investigated and the voodoo is removed I wouldn't expect to see acceptance of the manufacturer's claim by the LAB users.
It is one thing to be able to "put" 4Khz" in a particular area and not others.

Quite another to put 400 hz in one area and not another.

Hence my comment-size matters.

Control is NOT universal or "across the board"

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 08:25:07 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.