ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please configuring a A&H QU for a live house + recording setup -Solved!-  (Read 2132 times)

Wayne Smith2

I'm not new to audio/recording and live analog, but rather new to this mixer.
My intent is to pre-configure it for a live recording plus house mix.
-Insert Sends as sources to the QU-Drive (no problem there)
-While capturing a rough L/R mix via head phones (this L/R mix would not go to house)
-And a mono mix via 'Mix 1' to provide a simple mostly vocal mix for the house.

My problem working my way through this for the first time setting up for two mixes is mostly regarding FX routing options.
I quickly came to realize that sends to FX1 for the L/R recording mix would want to be independent of any house FX for Mix1.
I presumed then I would set FX2 for Mix 1.
This is where I'm stuck- and I hope I'm putting this right-
How would you set (and monitor via the faders and phones) mix sends for FX1 for L/R independent for FX2 for Mix1?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:36:07 PM by Wayne Smith2 »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth

1.  Which Qu?  The 16 is different from the rest.  If not the 16, use a Matrix.

2.  Exactly what do you need from the recording?  Tracks?
     Stereo mix?  Both?

3.  Mono mix from the L/R bus is available from the Alt       
     Out as well as a Mix.

Best practice is likely to have one person mix the house from an iPad and someone else mix the recording on the desk.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS

I did almost exactly the same thing this weekend (on a QU-16), except instead of a PA feed, I had a mono broadcast feed on AUX 1.

It took a little bit of fiddling with the FX returns to get them to sit right in mono, as compared to the stereo mix I was listening to in the headphones, but I was able to set that up ahead of the actual show.  If you switch to AUX 1 sends on faders (button on the right side of console), and then AFL the master fader (now the AUX 1 master), you'll hear the mono mix in the 'phones.

For a PA feed, you could just adjust the relative sends on AUX 1 to whatever is appropriate for the room.  You'd likely want to have a GEQ inserted for house EQ too.

GTD

Wayne Smith2

Thank you
1.  Which Qu?  The 16 is different from the rest.  If not the 16, use a Matrix.

It is the QU16

2.  Exactly what do you need from the recording?  Tracks? Stereo mix?  Both?

Both. The standard 18 track multi-track set up, with hopefully my L/R mains phones mix on 17/18.

3.  Mono mix from the L/R bus is available from the Alt Out as well as a Mix.

Best practice is likely to have one person mix the house from an iPad and someone else mix the recording on the desk.

This is a small gig/venue. Likely the only thing that needs to be in the house speaker is the vocals- via one of the alt mixes.

It looks like I was expecting a little more of the 'Mix Masters' 1--10 in terms of flexibility -in providing alt mixes- than they do.
Assumptions from where I left off last night..
-Apparently they can not have their own FX, nor can they have their own FX mix(?
-I haven't looked into the 'stereo versions of the 'Mix Masters but likely, nor will they allow for their own ch. pans(?
Which if true is also a bit of a bummer as for example the other thing I wanted to do with this mixer was for studio tracking. Two (or more) stereo band phones mixes + my stereo rough mix recording full band sessions.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS

Assumptions from where I left off last night..
-Apparently they can not have their own FX, nor can they have their own FX mix(?
-I haven't looked into the 'stereo versions of the 'Mix Masters but likely, nor will they allow for their own ch. pans(?

You have 4 FX engines, so if you feel the effect or mix isn't appropriate for both stereo recording and PA feed, you can assign another engine to one of the unused AUXes, and just route it where you need it.  The only place I can see this being a problem is if you use the same reverb for vocals and drums, for instance, and don't want the drum verb in the PA because the dry drums aren't there.  It's no problem to vary the return level of the FX in the PA mix, using just one send and FX engine.

Looking at the block diagram, it does appear that there is a separate pan control for the stereo AUXes (5/6, 7/8, 9/10).   I haven't tried this myself, but I have a QU-16 set up right now for an event happening later this week, so it won't be hard to check.

GTD

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS

Looking at the block diagram, it does appear that there is a separate pan control for the stereo AUXes (5/6, 7/8, 9/10).   I haven't tried this myself, but I have a QU-16 set up right now for an event happening later this week, so it won't be hard to check.

Yes, the pan control for the stereo aux is independent of the one for the main mix (and each aux mix is independent of the others).  All the other channel parameters (preamp gain, dynamics, EQ) stay the same however.  I confirmed that this morning.

GTD

Wayne Smith2

Yes, the pan control for the stereo aux is independent of the one for the main mix (and each aux mix is independent of the others).  All the other channel parameters (preamp gain, dynamics, EQ) stay the same however.  I confirmed that this morning.
GTD
Yes- and success!  It took another go at the routing pages and flow diagram for what was right in front of me to sink in. In the 'if it was a snake it'd bit me chapter'.
None of the four alt mix source selections in various points along the channel strips are 'post pan. And evoking one of the 'stereo mixes activates it's per channel pans.
We only have the one set of FX send mixes (and return level trims' to the alts) but that's fine.

Thanks all for the nudges' :>)
I'm back to 'good to go mode.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.