ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet D-Fi Wireless DMX  (Read 4267 times)

Hunter McKee

Chauvet D-Fi Wireless DMX
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:28:25 PM »

Hello, first time posting here. 

Earlier today, I was out shopping for a new network switch and the place I stopped by was doing a huge liquidation of anything that had sat around for too long.  In this pile of random stuff was the network switch I was looking for (for a fraction of the cost) as well as a set of Chauvet D-Fi wireless DMX transmitters and receivers.  All of the individual boxes were taped together and there was a big "$10" written across the top, so naturally I snagged them without a second thought.  It wasn't until I got home that I realized I have three transmitters and one receiver.  I'm planning on using one of the transmitters and the receiver, but I got wondering, what's the difference on the inside?  Is there any difference in the hardware or is it simply a different software inside and a different badge on the outside?

Before I decide to open one up and look for myself, does anybody know if there's a difference? Has anybody had any luck in using as a transmitter as the receiver?  I did a little searching around and couldn't find anything, which does make sense considering that most people would double check before purchasing, or at least be able to return the ones they can't use and exchange them for receivers.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Chauvet D-Fi Wireless DMX
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 04:05:42 PM »

Per the forum rules, your display name needs to be your real first and last name.  You'll need to comply with that before anyone can help.  Thanks!

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 09:18:36 AM »

if there's a difference?
You can use the menu function to change from transmitter to receiver.  Just make sure to use the same channel (1-10, also changed through the menu).

Allen Smith

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 01:34:43 AM »

Not an answer to any question you asked but I am a dfi user.  Range is ok.  Providing sound and lights the control signal didn't make it from the mix location to stage reliably.  I have also found I needed to move my audio mix wifi to the higher transmission frequency (I think 5g but I am in a bar and it's late) because e dfi and basic wifi didn't  like each other on a regular basis. 

With that said I love it.  No cables is awesome and some tweaks made all my wireless gear more stable.  I am using the dfi USB dongles.  The jacks are on the backs of my tri bar USB units so line of sight is not perfect.

No regrets in the purchase, just some tweaks.

Earlier today, I was out shopping for a new network switch and the place I stopped by was doing a huge liquidation of anything that had sat around for too long.  In this pile of random stuff was the network switch I was looking for (for a fraction of the cost) as well as a set of Chauvet D-Fi wireless DMX transmitters and receivers.  All of the individual boxes were taped together and there was a big "$10" written across the top, so naturally I snagged them without a second thought.  It wasn't until I got home that I realized I have three transmitters and one receiver.  I'm planning on using one of the transmitters and the receiver, but I got wondering, what's the difference on the inside?  Is there any difference in the hardware or is it simply a different software inside and a different badge on the outside?

Before I decide to open one up and look for myself, does anybody know if there's a difference? Has anybody had any luck in using as a transmitter as the receiver?  I did a little searching around and couldn't find anything, which does make sense considering that most people would double check before purchasing, or at least be able to return the ones they can't use and exchange them for receivers.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 07:09:28 PM »

Not an answer to any question you asked but I am a dfi user.  Range is ok.  Providing sound and lights the control signal didn't make it from the mix location to stage reliably.  I have also found I needed to move my audio mix wifi to the higher transmission frequency (I think 5g but I am in a bar and it's late) because e dfi and basic wifi didn't  like each other on a regular basis. 

With that said I love it.  No cables is awesome and some tweaks made all my wireless gear more stable.  I am using the dfi USB dongles.  The jacks are on the backs of my tri bar USB units so line of sight is not perfect.

No regrets in the purchase, just some tweaks.
I use the USB ones as well for some of my fixtures - great where I want to effectively want to split the DMX chain out (DFi USB transmitter doesn't occupy the DMX out port, so I can go cable out to one fixture and wireless to another)

In one venue I did get some weird blinking, but it's been fine since.
I can't remember if I was running 2.4G or 5G on my router that night, I will keep an eye on that if I get any more weirdness.
thanks,
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

James Bowker

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 01:25:58 AM »

Just curious about a Wifi setup, do you need your own router with all these lights?
If you have a digital interface it cant all run off the computer im guessing so you need a router for them to join to?

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 09:35:19 PM »

Just curious about a Wifi setup, do you need your own router with all these lights?
If you have a digital interface it cant all run off the computer im guessing so you need a router for them to join to?

The lights do not run on wifi.  A typical setup has a single transmitter with multiple receivers.   The radios in these devices do often use the 2.4 gHz frequency spectrum. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 09:35:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.