ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which headset mic is bombproof?  (Read 5280 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Which headset mic is bombproof?
« on: February 21, 2017, 03:24:44 PM »

Ok, I've had enough of these shaved gorillas destroying my DPA's. What headset mic is out there that can take the abuse of a non-skilled, mostly amateur, never handled a piece of tech before type of people that are destroying my DPA's?

Fwiw these are used on sennheiser belt packs. In this particular room the need for tiny and inconspicuous doesn't exist, so if the mic makes them look like the sham-wow guy then so be it.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
Re: Which headset mic is bombproof?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 03:43:09 PM »

Ok, I've had enough of these shaved gorillas destroying my DPA's. What headset mic is out there that can take the abuse of a non-skilled, mostly amateur, never handled a piece of tech before type of people that are destroying my DPA's?

Fwiw these are used on sennheiser belt packs. In this particular room the need for tiny and inconspicuous doesn't exist, so if the mic makes them look like the sham-wow guy then so be it.

What tier of compromise are you talking? Isomax is fairly rugged and more affordable than the d:fine's . CM311 is more expensive but will take a 'lickin.  I recall a thread here about some even cheaper e6 knockoffs for H.S. musical type applications.

If you're thinking shamwow, Shure WH20. As a bonus when it breaks you have a free pair of croakies for your shades.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 04:03:16 PM »

Shure SM35.

Not very pretty but inexpensive, durable and sounds good. Has an XLR connector. Will need to get an adaptor from Sennheiser.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:34:53 PM »

Shure SM35.

Not very pretty but inexpensive, durable and sounds good. Has an XLR connector. Will need to get an adaptor from Sennheiser.

+1 ...love mine - has taken some abuse but never let me down. It is the SM58 of the headset world - LOL!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 06:23:41 PM »

Literally bombproof:

DPA D:fine
Shure WH20

I have had miced cast next to 145dB plus detonations wearing these with no issues.

For what you are asking though, there is no such thing. We use CPC Pulse cheap crap omni headsets for this kind of thing. Throw them away when they break. Anyway, breakages should be charged to the client (and then give them the broken mic - they just bought it)

Failing that, an RE20 and gaffa tape )->

Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 06:42:06 PM »

Literally bombproof:

DPA D:fine
Shure WH20

I have had miced cast next to 145dB plus detonations wearing these with no issues.

For what you are asking though, there is no such thing. We use CPC Pulse cheap crap omni headsets for this kind of thing. Throw them away when they break. Anyway, breakages should be charged to the client (and then give them the broken mic - they just bought it)

Failing that, an RE20 and gaffa tape )->

"Class, today we're making 'halo' rigs.  Our first mic is the RE20.  We start with half-inch rebar...."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 07:16:45 PM »

"Class, today we're making 'halo' rigs.  Our first mic is the RE20.  We start with half-inch rebar...."

Where the hell is the "like" button on this forum?
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 07:36:58 PM »

The sm35 is a great headset, however it has a weak point where the 'headband' enters the plastic thing with the shure logo on it.

Shure SM35.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 08:05:24 PM »

The sm35 is a great headset, however it has a weak point where the 'headband' enters the plastic thing with the shure logo on it.

I could get past that with a little gaff and a lot of epoxy.

The sm35 is looking like what I need. Cheap enough to be somewhat disposable, and looks fairly beefy.

This is for a meeting room (theater style) that I don't have a tech in. The users end up doing things themselves. The users insist that they need headsets. The last time I went up there somebody had taken the 2 4088's completely apart so they could hold them like handhelds. Even though there are 2 HH's also in the room.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

MikeHarris

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 08:11:19 PM »

We supplied a 24 channel Lectro wireless system 8 years ago to a high school theater...used all Countryman Isomax headset mics. One headset and one lav pack all that ever needed service...8 years of student abuse, bout as bombproof as you can get

http://www.countryman.com/isomax-headset-microphone

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 08:11:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.