ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Differences in small/medium sound reinforcement USA and Northern Europe  (Read 14301 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: Differences in small/medium sound reinforcement USA and Northern Europe
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 05:51:33 PM »

I travel frequently to Europe.  I can't say that the small to medium pubs there have any better average sound than the small to medium bars here in the US. 

I do think that Europe has more live sound venues per city than we do in the US where DJ's have largely taken over the traditional "live sound" venue of the past. 

Still, plenty of DJ places in Europe too.  I can see the trend moving to the Eu as well in the future.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 06:48:57 PM »

I travel frequently to Europe.  I can't say that the small to medium pubs there have any better average sound than the small to medium bars here in the US. 

I do think that Europe has more live sound venues per city than we do in the US where DJ's have largely taken over the traditional "live sound" venue of the past. 

Still, plenty of DJ places in Europe too.  I can see the trend moving to the Eu as well in the future.

I can barely hold back my excitement when I see."live DJ" advertised ..

Scott Bolt

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »

I can barely hold back my excitement when I see."live DJ" advertised ..
Yea, the live ones cost more than the dead ones ;)

Truly a sad state of affairs.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »

What, is everyone a Tönmeister over there?

No, meister is an advanced certification, and I havent knowingly met many

Let's put it this way, few people get their start here sweeping floors and moving their way up to coiling cables.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 02:54:16 PM »

I'd venture to say that europe has more dj places per capita, too.  House and techno started in the US, but it took off here.  The love parade drew over a million people in the 90s while america was still trying to figure out why the music was so repetitive.  Europeans don't see it as much of an either/or situation regarding djs and live music

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 02:56:54 PM »

What, is everyone a Tönmeister over there?

Ach!!!

Was für ein gratuitous umlaut!!!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 03:09:11 PM »

No, meister is an advanced certification, and I havent knowingly met many

Let's put it this way, few people get their start here sweeping floors and moving their way up to coiling cables.

As a USA ex-pat you may remember that here we have this huge 'group arrogance' wherein folks think that because they can make noise come out of their home theater setup or karaoke/DJ/PA rig they have become experts with no need to further their skills, abilities or to advance in their craft.  Throw in a pervasive anti-learning sentiment coupled with a "there's an app for that" mentality and it does not surprise me that much of today's audio is not better that the good old days.  Manufacturer's have made it easier than ever to make reasonable good sound - the gear is better than it's ever been - but the aural result still varies from *sucks out loud* to "hey, that's pretty nice".  Better gear has made it easier to hit the top end of that result scale but has done little to raise the bottom of the scale (human factors).

Ivan pointed out that ultimately it's up to paying audiences to vote with their feet/money.  With the "stuck in your ear where everything is the same level" source of comparison, I don't hold out any realistic hope that better sound (systems and especially mixes) will result from a consumer demand.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 03:12:39 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »

, I don't hold out any realistic hope that better sound (systems and especially mixes) will result from a consumer demand.
I amazes me how many people still enjoy (dancing smiling etc) REALLY BAD sound.

It is like you can stick up the worst sounding speaker you can find-and people (some anyway) will start to "groove".

It is like-as long as it is cheap-many people will buy it.  They understand that spending more does not equal more sales-so why bother.

Just look at the overall "trend" of products.

How many manufacturers are trying to make products truly SOUND better?  Most are racing to the bottom to see how cheap they can make them.

Maybe they understand more than I do.

REALLY sad.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »

I amazes me how many people still enjoy (dancing smiling etc) REALLY BAD sound.

It is like you can stick up the worst sounding speaker you can find-and people (some anyway) will start to "groove".

It is like-as long as it is cheap-many people will buy it.  They understand that spending more does not equal more sales-so why bother.

Just look at the overall "trend" of products.

How many manufacturers are trying to make products truly SOUND better?  Most are racing to the bottom to see how cheap they can make them.

Maybe they understand more than I do.

REALLY sad.

Many people "just like music", and don't really care about the quality of the sound.  Others just blatantly don't give a damn, except that they want it as loud as it will go.  Others can't stand bad sound (or music) at all, and leave.  Lastly, there are many who withstand the absolute worst presentation because they just want to hear it.

<edit>  These are not excuses; merely observations.

-Dennis
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:23:48 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »

Ach!!!

Was für ein gratuitous umlaut!!!

not if it went over the n  8)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.